• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hellsing Manga Ends as Hirano Plans New Work Next Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Phew! I'm glad that's over. Don't get me wrong, I've got all the volumes that Dark Horse has released so far and have already pre-ordered #9 and will do so for 10 and 11. I love the art and the characters, but to me, it feels like the story is long over-due for a wrap-up. I've only read the Dark Horse books, so there are probably people out there who know better than me at this point, but it feels like volumes 7-11 are just going to be one long, drawn-out, "final" battle.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I've only read the Dark Horse books, so there are probably people out there who know better than me at this point, but it feels like volumes 7-11 are just going to be one long, drawn-out, "final" battle.

Bingo. Anime smile + sweatdrop

I've been reading Hellsing since sometime in 2002, and I'm still a huge fan, but I really do think it was time to finish it up. For a while now, it's really seemed like he was just making things up as he went along and throwing in nonsense twists just for the heck of it. Still, I'll be really sad to see it end. I kind of have a feeling that I'll be disappointed with how he wraps things up too, so that's a bummer. Anime cry I hope he shocks me and makes it an awesome ending.

spoiler[80% of the cool characters are already dead (and it really feels like Hirano killed them off just for the sake of it), but as long as Alucard revives in the final chapter (and I heard he does!), then I'll be a pretty happy fan!]
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote
Anyone know if his Hellsing: The Dawn is finished, too? I haven't read it but from what I hear it was pretty erratic.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
Lets hope Dark Horse can finish off the series sometime within the next decade.
Is Hirano still working on Ikaryaku?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
Well, if anything, this last chapter to the Hellsing manga should royally beat the pants off of the finale to the Hellsing TV series.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear it's finally finished. I am big fan of the Hellsing anime and OVA, but never started collecting the manga due to the long time between volumes being published. Maybe now that it's done, I'll start picking up volumes here and there.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:05 am Reply with quote
So, the OVA will cover the end of the Hellsing manga right?
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Just how many volumes are there total? I don't follow the manga, but the encyclopedia says only 9 volumes for Japanese and English so was this a special chapter or something? Now I'm seeing mention of 11 chapters in this topic. I've only been watching the TV and OAV series so I don't really understand how the manga works.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
So it ends. As far as I know, the manga is supposed to be only 10 volumes. It may be a possibility that the final volume is being delayed due to the how the stockmarket has been doing lately.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
saishokushugisha wrote:
Anyone know if his Hellsing: The Dawn is finished, too? I haven't read it but from what I hear it was pretty erratic.

That's what I was curious about as well.

I haven't kept up with the manga in like the last 2 years... (time to catch up?), but from what I remember The Dawn was only like 6 chapters, and was heavily incomplete.

I sure hope he didn't...forget or something. Neutral
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
So, the OVA will cover the end of the Hellsing manga right?

Unless something unexpected happens and the OVA can't be finished for some reason, yes, it should cover the end.

Emerje wrote:
Just how many volumes are there total? I don't follow the manga, but the encyclopedia says only 9 volumes for Japanese and English so was this a special chapter or something?

The total volume info on Hellsing's encyclopedia page is incorrect. There are going to be 10 volumes total, although only 9 have been released so far. The chapter that just came out will apparently be the final chapter in volume 10.

Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
but from what I remember The Dawn was only like 6 chapters, and was heavily incomplete.

This is unfortunately still the case. I guess it's not impossible that he could still be working on it, but...I'm not getting my hopes up. Anime cry
Teggy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:

spoiler[80% of the cool characters are already dead (and it really feels like Hirano killed them off just for the sake of it), but as long as Alucard revives in the final chapter (and I heard he does!), then I'll be a pretty happy fan!]

I'm wondering the same exact thing. Part of me hopes for it, but the other part thinks that without a good explaination, it'll be stupid.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Teggy wrote:
cardcaptormanda wrote:

I'm wondering the same exact thing. Part of me hopes for it, but the other part thinks that without a good explaination, it'll be stupid.

spoiler[And knowing Hirano, he'll just suddenly pop up, "Hey everybody, I'm back! I wasn't really dead, even though I clearly was!" and that'll be that. Laughing

I heard he does come back though, apparently 30 years after the end of the war. At least that's the early word from the Japanese fans. I haven't heard how Hirano explains it though.]
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ed: Technically, Digital Manga has the rights to Hellsing. DH is just distributing, which is why it usually comes out on time. Wink It must take YKO forever to send DMP the material, though.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
spoiler[I heard he does come back though, apparently 30 years after the end of the war. At least that's the early word from the Japanese fans. I haven't heard how Hirano explains it though.]

spoiler[I think that what occurs is that he's "not dead", and not "not dead", a result of the Schoedinger's paradox he falls to (sorry for all the negatives but it makes more sense that way). He's said to come back by purging all the souls that had become a part of him and returning to being just Alucard. When he comes back, he's nothing more than that, though that's a great deal. :)]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2