• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Karas Director, Mononoke Writer on Floating Moon Feature

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like it could be interesting. On the other hand, I felt Karas completely fell apart in the second half, and only barely managed to scrape by as a somewhat good OAV by the end, in spite of the stellar first half. Ishikawa is a good writer though, so that is at least a good sign.

The "environmentally aware" bit does give me pause though. While the environment is an important issue and I'm all for increasing awareness, it often feels like most environementally aware shows/movies beat you over the head with the message.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Proud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Sounds like it could be interesting. On the other hand, I felt Karas completely fell apart in the second half, and only barely managed to scrape by as a somewhat good OAV by the end, in spite of the stellar first half. Ishikawa is a good writer though, so that is at least a good sign.

The "environmentally aware" bit does give me pause though. While the environment is an important issue and I'm all for increasing awareness, it often feels like most environementally aware shows/movies beat you over the head with the message.

I think your reading a little too deep. Miyazaki's Spirited Away was environmentally conscious, as is much of Miyazaki's work, but the messages are usually more subtle in both Spirited Away and the rest of his work; it's never blatant and excessive.

I'm looking forward to this though. I mean come on, even the title is cool. Very Happy
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
That's true, Spirited Away was environmentally conscious without pummeling the viewer with it. Princess Mononoke though did suffer from it, at least in my opinion. I still like the movie, but the heavy handed message does it no benefit. It's a key element of the story, so it had to exist, but I think they could have softened it a little bit.

On the other hand, we then get movies like Origin, which really suffers from trying to hard. In the end, nobody likes being preached to, even if the message is one they agree with and exists within a medium they go to for entertainment. I'm not saying that inserting such an awareness necessarily means it's going to be bad, I still enjoy Princess Mononoke, and Origin is okay as well.

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to it, I'm just hoping they don't insert the message to the detriment of the story itself. This isn't even a solely anime complaint, as I often find the same thing in domestic shows and movies, even novels, and sometimes even documentaries (they spend so much time talking about environmental aspects of the subject that you don't feel like you learned much of anything else about it). I am glad they're increasing awareness though, I just hope it's done in a responsible way that doesn't effect the art of the story negatively.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
givmethatoldtimemysticism

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Paul Kanter of Jefferson Airplane? Never knew he wrote stories, a quick search pulls up nothing but this should be interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1