• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2008 Anime Preview Guide Part 1

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
For Carl's reviews, what are the numbers out of? 4? 5?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
For Carl's reviews, what are the numbers out of? 4? 5?

They all use the same scale, 1-5, 1 being lowest. I'll add that.
Flaed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow! The buzz on Toradora! is really positive - everything I heard about it made it sound. . .really generic, but this is nice to hear. I look forward to seeing if this positive feedback keeps up; if it does it might make the "maybe I'd like a license" list in my head.

Though I wish somebody would comment on Shikabane Hime. The suspense, it is killing me. I want to know if it's any good, and I've heard almost nothing about it since it debuted. And I think ANN's previews are the best, or at least I enjoy reading them the most.

It's a rolling thing, though, so I will sit here patiently and wait. And maybe watch the promo video. Again. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Man, this is the lamest anime season yet. Thank god for Sunrise making at least one interesting show every season. If it weren't for them, I just wouldn't watch any new anime. Dating game shows and high school dramas can burn in hell. Cheers to Gundam 00!
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Toradora looks promising then. The rest, not so much.
gossymer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I was just wondering if y'all would be reviewing ANY of the following, but especially Kuroshitsuji:

Kuroshitsuji
    Kurogane no Linebarrel
    Hakushaku to Yousei
    Tytania
    Michiko To Hatchin
    Skip Beat
    Casshern SINS
    Mouryou no Hako
    Ga-rei-zero
    Yozakura Shijuusou ~Yozakura Quartet~
    Switch
    CHAOS; HEAD
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
gossymer wrote:
I was just wondering if y'all would be reviewing ANY of the following, but especially Kuroshitsuji:

Kuroshitsuji
    Kurogane no Linebarrel
    Hakushaku to Yousei
    Tytania
    Michiko To Hatchin
    Skip Beat
    Casshern SINS
    Mouryou no Hako
    Ga-rei-zero
    Yozakura Shijuusou ~Yozakura Quartet~
    Switch
    CHAOS; HEAD

A lot of those titles simply aren't available yet. (Heck, several of them haven't even aired in Japan yet.) If they come out in the next couple of weeks, we'll be doing them.

(Casshern Sins should be up on the next update, BTW, as I just turned that one in.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I watched a bit of Toradora, but it didn't really capture me. The characters just seemed a bit too extreme to believe, especially the female lead.

I'm really looking forward to a few of the other shows this season. Most haven't had the chance to start yet though, so I'll be looking forward to their reviews here.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
People talk about Toradora like it's the second coming of Haruhi. I'll consider picking it up if my hot titles for the season tank.

I don't see the appeal of Clannad and its ilk. It just seems like more generic h-game/visual novel moe romance garbage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
People talk about Toradora like it's the second coming of Haruhi. I'll consider picking it up if my hot titles for the season tank.

Don't get your expectations too high, its not that great. But it is pretty fun, at least once you get a little ways in (the episode starts off on the bland side). Taiga is quite deserving of her nickname "Palmtop Tiger" and its pretty amusing to watch.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly amazed at the high scores for Toradora.

Quote:
People talk about Toradora like it's the second coming of Haruhi.

Second coming of ZnT would be closer to the mark. J.C Staff knows this show will appeal to a certain group and it will do well with them... but there's a reason why "To Aru Majutsu no Index" is getting the budget and Toradora the "leftovers".

Last edited by Westlo on Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Toradora! is not the second coming of Haruhi. It's too boring to be that.

And as for clannad, it's not Ilk, it's just not in your tastes. It's mostly romance, with comedy here and there in the episodes. Not to mention, there's a underlying fantasy aspect typically applied to each series. Air, Kanon, CLANNAD and Little Busters! have all had some subplot that typically influences the main one.

Air is the easiest to watch of the three, Clannad probably being the hardest for those with limited patience.

I really would like to add in one thing. I'm not wanting to defend the series too much, I've found it meaningless, but the show has slow pacing, get over it. It got a second season because the story is getting told with was much detail as possible, that's all there is to it.

It's not for everyone, I wish that was more prevalent in the reviews than identifying it as ilk or crap.
ParagonDoD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
And as for clannad, it's not Ilk, it's just not in your tastes.

I hate making a post like this because I sound like a condescending jerk, but "ilk" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. "Clannad and its ilk" means "Clannad and shows like it", as in the moe/harem genre. Air and Kanon would be in the ilk of Clannad, for example.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
ParagonDoD wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
And as for clannad, it's not Ilk, it's just not in your tastes.

I hate making a post like this because I sound like a condescending jerk, but "ilk" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. "Clannad and its ilk" means "Clannad and shows like it", as in the moe/harem genre. Air and Kanon would be in the ilk of Clannad, for example.

No no no, it's fine. The only problem for me is that the examples I've seen it used in before was in a negative tone... And be honest, most DO use it in a negative form. I appreciate the explanation of it being used for other purposes as well though...

I mean, the poster referred to it as more 'visual novel moe romance garbage' and I'd be lying if I didn't take offense to that. You can say what you want about everything else, but Key focuses more on the novel aspect.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't like Clannad that much, but it seems like whenever people bash it they do so for the wrong reasons. The shows drama usually wasn't very compelling, and a lot of it's comedy fell short. Those were it's problems. I really don't get how people get offended by it.

penguintruth wrote:
People talk about Toradora like it's the second coming of Haruhi.

Oh boy, the second coming of an average anime, that somehow 99% of the internet is in love with. Sign me up.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 22