• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - 2008-10-07

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Always trying to force the negativity.... Laughing
(That coming from someone who points out the good and bad aspects of anime-dom.)
... But the producer wasn't biting much.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah, you know, I got that vibe as well. But maybe it's you and I who are the pessimists. Very Happy
skyler25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I went to NYAF, and it was not only my first big con, it was my first con, period. And it IS the coolest experience to not prep, not work up to it, just walk in and BAM, it's there Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Whoisthatguy?! An idiot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
(That coming from someone who points out the good and bad aspects of anime-dom.)

I guess they figure no one would care if their wasn't some controversy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

How were they pushing negativity? I don't see that at all. They asked simple questions really. How did this person get into the business and what she thinks about it and her job, and any predisposed opinions she had coming into it. I mean I suppose the questions weren't all "what's your fav this or that" or "omg isn't this person so nice" but I personally am thankful for that. I also have to agree with something Bamboo said. Many many many many fans seem to have this fantasy idea of how working with anime is one big party and just so kawaii!!!!! Which is just that, a fantasy. Sure it's nice to work in a filed or with something you actually like but it's still a job. It's not a giant party and I think their questions were geared more towards an honest perspective by Margo Yabs as opposed to fluff questions. I also personally like talking and hearing more from the people behind the scenes so I liked this interview. Maybe sometime soon they could interview an ADR or dub director. Many fans tend to not bother knowing anything about them as opposed to their Japanese counterparts.
maichips

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the glomping... *looks back and shudders* My first con, just two months ago, was also my first time being glomped. It was scarier than I'd expected... Anime smile;;;

@ Bamboo: I know what you mean about being an outsider looking in! I've always wondered how it would feel to see anime fandom without the ingrained perceptions of a fan... I have a feeling that I would be mystified by it...
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this column! As a dub fan I go to a lot of panels with voice actors in them, and read a lot of interviews with them, but I don't get to hear about people like producers as much. It's really interesting to hear another side of the industry, particularly since fans (myself included) tend to not realize how much work goes into bringing series over here. ...Also, I really need to start watching Funimation's podcasts more.

As for being glomped, I got glomped for the first time the last con I went to. Laughing I was cosplaying as Chrono from Chrono Crusade and underestimated his popularity. I think they had tried calling out to me first and I hadn't heard them, though, so it's a good lesson in me to try to pay attention instead of zoning out when I'm at a con.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this column a lot. It was interesting getting to see the views of not just a new fan but someone involved in the industry in a manner unfamiliar to me. This is partly due to the fact that I myself, while watching anime for years, am basically totally new to the social aspects of anime fandom. I also really didn't think that there was an inordinate focus on the negative. I was particularly interested, in fact, in how such a new fan working in the industry would receive the more negative/shocking aspects of the environment.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

How were they pushing negativity? I don't see that at all. They asked simple questions really.

Nah, nah, I was more referring to the parts like (paraphrased):

ANN gals: So, whatup wid all dis bad stuff in cons lately?

Producer Margo: Well, uh, there's people walking barefoot in the restrooms. (Sorry, that's the best I could do in short notice.)

ANN gals: [insert bad stuff to remind us discussed in previous column]

Producer Margo: OK, sure, if you say so.

Laughing

Actually, I like the other parts because they asked about stuffs that don't presume everyone should/would be assimilated into global otakunization. Razz
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Producer Margo: Well, uh, there's people walking barefoot in the restrooms. (Sorry, that's the best I could do in short notice.)

Laughing

That was my interpretation as well, actually. Confused
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
I agree on that whole factor of the delusion of fans wanting to work in the industry. You can't have a passion for a hobby and think you could work IN the industry surrounding the hobby.

They either A: actually have the passion for the job they'd be taking, be it something concerning marketing, production, translating or whatever or B: they lack understanding of what they'd be doing.

Much like how I don't think someone who likes jewelry/collects rocks for a hobby and thinks they could be a geologist...

Granted Earth Sciences and anime are... a fairly WIDE difference of career paths, I believe the point is made. Don't think you can you can do a job related to something you like, just because you like it.

EXCEPT for making casual games, any idiot with a couple of months experience with the right software can make the next Bejeweled.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Laughing

Hmmm... I guess I can see your point of view on this one. However, the intention was really to pose a distinction between the things that veteran fans see, and the things that new fans see. You so often hear old-timer fans rail about how conventions are so awful now, and how there's all this terrible stuff happening-- but it makes you wonder if it's just cynicism, pessimism, etc. So asking a "fresh" fan gives you a different perspective on that.

I may ask someone who's been going to cons for 10 years, and they'll say, "AAHHHH Cons are so terrible now!" but someone who's only been going for 2 years would say, "What? No. This is great!" which is the impression I got from Margo's experiences.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Hmmm... I guess I can see your point of view on this one. However, the intention was really to pose a distinction between the things that veteran fans see, and the things that new fans see. You so often hear old-timer fans rail about how conventions are so awful now, and how there's all this terrible stuff happening-- but it makes you wonder if it's just cynicism, pessimism, etc. So asking a "fresh" fan gives you a different perspective on that.

I may ask someone who's been going to cons for 10 years, and they'll say, "AAHHHH Cons are so terrible now!" but someone who's only been going for 2 years would say, "What? No. This is great!" which is the impression I got from Margo's experiences.

I can see where some readers could pick up a "oh, they're stirring up trouble" reaction to this week article; however, I definitely picked up the vibe you described here. When you asked about what are your complaints, that's a question that anyone could answer about any sort of event they attend, even professionals showing up at work events or conferences. As expected, Margo's answers were vastly different from the previous week's guest.

But, the article as a whole didn't dwell on negativity, it was a very upbeat read; last week's was rather downbeat, though still entertaining and insightful.

I think if anyone is going to take any words of wisdom from this article, it'd be this exchange:

Chicks on Anime wrote:

Casey: In your job, you must have to do a lot of networking. Is that something you enjoy?
Margo: I love networking. I mean, networking is what got me the job that I have, so I'm all for networking. Especially for women. I'm in Women in Film. Networking is big, especially in this industry, and in any entertainment industry.
Casey: We were talking about this earlier, and it seems to me that some people find it naturally easy to network, while some people are very uncomfortable with that kind of work. We were discussing whether you'd be able to learn it. You really have to be a people person in the first place.
Bamboo: You can learn it, I think.
Robin: It could be pretty hard for some people. I think it's something some people are naturally good at. Some people come in a room and can just talk to everyone, and other people are just shy and need to read note cards or something.
Margo: I think it's something you can pick up. When I first started, I was here for the Anime Awards at New York Comic Con. I'd been here two, three months and I was getting interviews with voice actors. I didn't know what they looked like. I just had a list of names and it's just putting yourself out there. Even if you just ask questions like, “I'm new, What do I do?” It's just kind of putting yourself out there and asking questions. It's kind of hard at first.
Casey: Do you have any advice for people who are interested in breaking into the industry, or just networking tips?
Margo: I think it's helpful to join professional organizations that'll hold events where you can meet people. People will go to those events and meet people. So if you go to them and don't know anyone, you can go up to someone and say, “Hey, what do you do?” Actually, that just happened to me two weeks ago, when I went to a Women in Film event. You've got to join those things and meet people. Industry parties, too. You do meet people there. Go there to have fun, but still know that you're networking. That's how I met Bamboo.

While a lot of anime fans now are in High School and College, planning your career might seem like a long way off but this advice is absolutely invaluable in practically any industry one decides to pursue. Networking can be invaluable. Sure, it may not be fair that some people get the job based on "knowing someone" but that doesn't mean that you can't use those same tools to your advantage. Being well connected and highly skilled can be a deadly, professional combination.

Like Bamboo, I think anyone can learn the skills needed for networking. Some people are just much more naturally outgoing but with a good bit of practice, even shy people can learn to network well.
anime_fan_800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Servant of the Path wrote:
I really enjoyed this column a lot. It was interesting getting to see the views of not just a new fan but someone involved in the industry in a manner unfamiliar to me. This is partly due to the fact that I myself, while watching anime for years, am basically totally new to the social aspects of anime fandom. I also really didn't think that there was an inordinate focus on the negative. I was particularly interested, in fact, in how such a new fan working in the industry would receive the more negative/shocking aspects of the environment.
i agree.
i am new to the social anime aspect as well. I have only been to one Con and that was earlier this year, and it was a blast. I would really like to be in the industry and no i don't want to be a VA I would suck. I just want to work behind the scenes, and be a part of anime.
irishninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
This was a great article. I've enjoyed every Chicks on Anime article so far, but I think this one is the best. Margo's advice about networking and her perspective as an initially non-anime fan working for an anime company were really insightful. Plus, she has a job I didn't ever give much thought to, so it's nice to see her take on the subject.

I didn't see Bamboo and the others as being negative in this piece. They were just asking questions. Ask about the good, ask about the bad, it's just journalism. Pretty balanced journalism at that. Good on ya, Bamboo et al. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2