• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shin-Chan Film's Story Remade as Live-Action Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Who will play Shin?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
billyarnie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't care... I want to know how many soldiers (& moviegoers) will go blind when Shin starts his Ass Dance! Just don't show Mr. Elephant, OK?! BTW, the shot of the Noharas in feudal Japan is Sweeet!

Man, I wish FUNimation would get the rights to dub 1 or 2 Shin-Chan movies... the R-rated laugh riots of the year!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sutibaru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I might have read this wrong but it sounds like this is not going to be a live action shin chan but an entirely different film using the story that was going to be used for the shinchan movie. In otherwords a romance film based on the plotline of the shinchan film excluding shinchan and stuff (guessing that there was a whole other story going on with other characters).

That is what it sounds to me.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Wait.

Sorry.

HUH?!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
Man, I wish FUNimation would get the rights to dub 1 or 2 Shin-Chan movies... the R-rated laugh riots of the year!

Move over South Park!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
i wonder how they're going to handle the elephant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Wait.

Sorry.

HUH?!

This.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
You guys got it all wrong. "Ballad" is not an actual live action version of Crayon Shin chan movie, but a story BASED from the original Shinchan movie. So don't expect to see a nine year old kid do those Shinchan antics.

I think the article's title definitely confused a lot of people. Rumor mill...rumor mill...
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
You guys got it all wrong. "Ballad" is not an actual live action version of Crayon Shin chan movie, but a story BASED from the original Shinchan movie. So don't expect to see a nine year old kid do those Shinchan antics.

I think the article's title definitely confused a lot of people. Rumor mill...rumor mill...

My question though is WHY they whould adapt a Shin-chan story in such a way 8O That seems like an odd choice to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
sailorsean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I think that It will be based on the plot of the movie not the characters... so from the sounds of this, it looks as if that the actors will play a story from the movie itself and not the characters such as shin-chan, (stop me if I'm going too fast Razz )
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
I think that It will be based on the plot of the movie not the characters... so from the sounds of this, it looks as if that the actors will play a story from the movie itself and not the characters such as shin-chan, (stop me if I'm going too fast Razz )

Well that about killed the interest.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
dangerwhat wrote:
reanimator wrote:

My question though is WHY they whould adapt a Shin-chan story in such a way Shocked That seems like an odd choice to me.

Once again, this is confusing matter to most western anime fans who simply view Crayon Shin-chan as a silly comedy animation and haven't watched movie version which live action is based from. To Japanese mainstream, two Crayon Shinchan movies "Adult Empire Strikes back" and "Calling the Storm: Battle in Warring States", directed by Keiichi Hara, brought up the Shin-chan movies from being kiddy anime to the level of good film which adult audience can relate to. Those two movies brought Shin-chan characters to be honest and realistic with audience who are watching the movie. In those movies, Shin-chan himself is not just a silly kid who shows off his behind, but a caring kid who shows his honest emotion. This is why the movie touched the live-action director, thus led him to produce the live action film.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

Once again, this is confusing matter to most western anime fans who simply view Crayon Shin-chan as a silly comedy animation and haven't watched movie version which live action is based from. To Japanese mainstream, two Crayon Shinchan movies "Adult Empire Strikes back" and "Calling the Storm: Battle in Warring States", directed by Keiichi Hara, brought up the Shin-chan movies from being kiddy anime to the level of good film which adult audience can relate to. Those two movies brought Shin-chan characters to be honest and realistic with audience who are watching the movie. In those movies, Shin-chan himself is not just a silly kid who shows off his behind, but a caring kid who shows his honest emotion. This is why the movie touched the live-action director, thus led him to produce the live action film.

Wow ok. Yeah, I haven't seen either of those film's so I really had no idea. That makes it much clearer now, thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
This is cool news for:

Crayon Shin-chan fans Very Happy Um,yay!

and

Shin-chan Fans Confused Err,Wha?

Well,I don't think this applies to the U.S. Shin-chan "dub" fans.Which sucks, because Shin-chan was much more,than just a foul talking dub.
It could have been presented better.Then again,without the dub,I wouldn't have heard a classy line like "Wanna play buttnaked Godzilla"? Laughing

I want to see this movie.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
This is cool news for:

Crayon Shin-chan fans :D Um,yay!

and

Shin-chan Fans :? Err,Wha?

Well,I don't think this applies to the U.S. Shin-chan "dub" fans.Which sucks, because Shin-chan was much more,than just a foul talking dub.
It could have been presented better.Then again,without the dub,I wouldn't have heard a classy line like "Wanna play buttnaked Godzilla"? :lol:

I want to see this movie.

yeah. While the dub isn't completely disingenuous to the original material, much of the humor in Crayon Shin-Chan is derived from Shinnosuke saying things that are culturally inappropriate for him to say - that is, things a Japanese child shouldn't say - thus, that humor doesn't really translate well. It'd be nice if there was an official subtitled release but FUNimation's license precludes that, as I recall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1