• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-10]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
No question this week? Oh well.

[Edit: Ah, it finally appeared. That's better.]
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
Sadly, I've noticed the lack of re-watching among fans on my end, too. I guess I'm old-fashioned enough to love watching something over again and really get into it rather than breeze through a show and not bother with it anymore.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Rabbits and guinea pigs ...it's like a one-two punch of pure cute. I've never seen them so affectionate though, mine just seem to blissfully ignore each other.

That second question reminds me of a few friends who've convinced themselves it's their God-given destiny to constantly try to bring more awareness to their favorite obscure titles. While there's nothing wrong about being enthusiastic over a lesser-known title but sometimes it becomes elitism if they're convinced a well-known title is automatically inferior. There should be no shame in enjoying a successful title, nor superiority because you like something the average fan's never heard of.

Odd. I re-watch my favorite titles quite frequently. Part of it may be because I don't own a huge collection and want to enjoy what I have but mostly it's because I haven't grown tired of them. I've watch Escaflowne in it's entirety at least four times.

Last edited by Lucca_Ashtear on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
Lucca_Ashtear wrote:
Rabbits and guinea pigs ...it's like a one-two punch of pure cute. I've never seen them so affectionate though, mine just seem to blissfully ignore each other.

That second question reminds me of a few friends who've convinced themselves it's their God-given destiny to constantly try to bring more awareness to their favorite obscure titles. While there's nothing wrong about being enthusiastic over a lesser-known title but sometimes it comes off as elitism as they're convinced a well-known title is automatically inferior. There should be no shame in enjoying a successful title, nor superiority because you like something the average fan's never heard of.

I'm totally with you on this one. Oftentimes a popular show isn't simply the product of hype, and it's more important to like a show because you honestly enjoy it rather than trying to follow/not follow the crowd.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
I'm a pretty new anime fan--I've watched and been aware of the medium for a long time, but I took a long break from it and only recently started becoming a more involved anime fan. Buying DVDs and going to cons and the like. I think it's been the past three years or so? But I rewatch stuff like CRAZY. I've probably sat through some episodes of Princess Tutu over eight times at this point, and I've only been a fan of the series for a good year or two. Tutu's not the only one, although it's definitely the one I watch the most.

I've always been a rewatcher, though. My favorite movie has been Beauty and the Beast ever since I saw it in theaters as a veeeery young child. I honestly have no idea how many times I've watched and rewatched it, and it hardly ever gets old.

I guess that makes me unusual, then?

Also, honestly George...I'm a little surprised you don't consider Death Note and Rurouni Kenshin to be mainstream titles. If I'm understanding you right?

...And now I just came to the answerfans question and realized I can answer it this week!

Lucca_Ashtear wrote:

That second question reminds me of a few friends who've convinced themselves it's their God-given destiny to constantly try to bring more awareness to their favorite obscure titles. While there's nothing wrong about being enthusiastic over a lesser-known title but sometimes it becomes elitism if they're convinced a well-known title is automatically inferior. There should be no shame in enjoying a successful title, nor superiority because you like something the average fan's never heard of.

Eep. Admittedly, I'm guilty of this at times. I don't hold anything against "mainstream" anime titles--some of my favorites, like Fullmetal Alchemist or Neon Genesis Evangelion are wildly popular--but I do admittedly have a tendency to be a little snobby when people talk to me about anime and the series they name as their favorites are something along the lines of Bleach, Naruto, FMA and Rurouni Kenshin. I think I get a little weary about hearing about Naruto all the time and automatically assume that fans of Naruto are the more embarrassing anime fans. (Which obviously isn't the case, I've met plenty of fans into "mainstream" anime that are fine fans of the genre. More just me being...well, a snob.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
First a foremost, Vision of Escaflowne, followed by Neon Genesis Evangelion, the first two seasons of Rurouni Kenshin, Fullmetal Alchemist, FLCL and Revolutionary Girl Utena

Didn't you say you were "done" with "FMA" before? Just something I noticed.

Quote:
While there's nothing wrong about being enthusiastic over a lesser-known title but sometimes it becomes elitism if they're convinced a well-known title is automatically inferior.

I think I'm guilty of this, but usually only if I actually do think a particular title is inferior.

(Insert subliminal message forcing all of you to play "Rez" here).
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
I think part of the joy of anime (and other series) is picking out and focusing on series that deserve to be watched a second time. Mindless entertainment can be found on my TV at any given moment of the day, I'd rather spend my money and energy on finding the diamonds.

Case in point: Boogiepop Phantom - I don't think you can watch that series just once and pretend to have a good grasp on what is going on.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
Ryan Newberry's response almost revived my love for Gundam SEED; I remember having much the same feelings as I watched this anime for the first time. And it is that good. Yet I'm afraid a combination of Destiny and obsessive fangirl behaviour has spoiled it for me eternally. Anime cry

Mr Zac wrote:
There is this notion that it's some sort of huge injustice when your favorite crazy "niche" title isn't as popular as Naruto, and I never really understood that. It's like complaining that everyone's reading Harry Potter but you're reading Artemis Fowl and why doesn't everyone also love Artemis Fowl as much? Is it not OK to just really love the hell out of Vampire Knight without needing the added validation that comes with mainstream blockbuster success?

I would argue that it is, madam. It is, in fact, OK.

I agree wholeheartedly. As much fun as it is to share your love for a show with your fellow fans, there are certain times when I'm actually glad I'm part of a smaller fanbase. In the long run, you should just like what you like regardless of what others think.

Question of the Week wrote:
Name an amime series - not a movie - that you've watched more than twice, and tell us why.

Was this done on purpose? Razz Seriously, though, there actually are a couple of amime series I've watched more than twice (including Slayers, Utawareru Mono and Code Geass). When I really love something, I would rewatch it with my sister, my dad, my cousin, and anyone else I manage to get interested (individually).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
Ryan Newberry's love for Gundam SEED makes me weep for the new generation of anime fans. If that show isn't the height of mediocrity in the Gundam franchise, I don't know what is, and I've been a Gundam fan for more than a decade. Ah, but to each their own, I suppose. I guess my own proudest moment of anime fandom would be when my DVD collection reached the sixth drawer.

Speaking of which, I happen to rerun the majority of my anime collection every year, saving certain titles for certain times. Like, at the beginning of the cycle I always watch the Space Battleship Yamato movie boxset. In October I watch Cowboy Bebop, with the movie (which takes place around and on Halloween) right on the 31st. Gundam programs in November to December, marking the time around which the original series took place. Tenchi Muyo around Valentine's Day. Blue Seed in the spring. Yeah, it's a little weird.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Rabbits and guinea pigs are of a different species, so they have a hard time understanding eachother, they more or less speak a different language and have different needs (guinea pigs need extra vitamin C while rabbits may actually get sick if they get too much of it, to give an example). Imagine having to live with a foreigner who speaks a different language and does all sorts of things you just don't understand. Very nice and optimistic people may be able to get along despite the language and cultural barriers, others may choose to ignore eachother and then there are people who become agressive. Animals are just like that. Giving a pet a partner of the same species is preferable.

And now, on-topic! Very Happy

I don't watch a lot of anime and I only own one series: Excel Saga. This series is kinda like comfort food... or prozac. The first time I watched the whole series was when I was sick in bed for a week and now I rewatch it whenever I feel bad and want to laugh.
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Name an amime series - not a movie - that you've watched more than twice, and tell us why.

"Amime"? Confused lawl

Hmm, let's see... right now Azumanga Daioh holds the record for the most revisits on my part, with 9 watches all in all. Smile
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ryan Newberry's love for Gundam SEED makes me weep for the new generation of anime fans. If that show isn't the height of mediocrity in the Gundam franchise, I don't know what is, and I've been a Gundam fan for more than a decade.

This may come as a surprise to you, but not everyone spares a thought for the original series – and nor should they have to. It's nice that you get a sense of superiority from your Gundam eletism, but know there are those of us who would weep for the older generation of anime fans who write off everything new as inferior to the "old classics" with extreme prejudice. I'm too occupied enjoying my own favourites to concern myself with yours, though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:25 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I guess my own proudest moment of anime fandom would be when my DVD collection reached the sixth drawer.

For once penguintruth, I have to agree with you. I too was estatic when I filled up my bookshelf with boxsets, and had to resort to using giant plastic storage containers tucked under my bed. I'm currently on my third. Perhaps not the crowning moment of my fandom, it was nonetheless a major highlight.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
This may come as a surprise to you, but not everyone spares a thought for the original series – and nor should they have to. It's nice that you get a sense of superiority from your Gundam eletism, but know there are those of us who would weep for the older generation of anime fans who write off everything new as inferior to the "old classics" with extreme prejudice. I'm too occupied enjoying my own favourites to concern myself with yours, though.

A bad show is a bad show, no matter when it's made. Luckily, after the trainwreck of Fukuda's Gundam timeline, the franchise has taken steps to recover with Gundam 00, a marked improvement, and a testament to Seiji Mezushima's talent.

If SEED fans did give a thought to the original shows, they'd realize what a pathetic, watered-down version they've been praising is.

dtm42 wrote:
For once penguintruth, I have to agree with you. I too was estatic when I filled up my bookshelf with boxsets, and had to resort to using giant plastic storage containers tucked under my bed. I'm currently on my third. Perhaps not the crowning moment of my fandom, it was nonetheless a major highlight.

I'm running out of space in my drawers and space for drawers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ligene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If SEED fans did give a thought to the original shows, they'd realize what a pathetic, watered-down version they've been praising is.

That it might well be, but it's very entertaining nonetheless. And for some people, myself included, that's all that counts.

Last edited by Ligene on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5