• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Marmalade Boy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad that Anime Selects has been airing it.
It really is a great show!
Grico

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed some of this show, but for me at least it went on too long. I gave up around set 3 of the tokyo pop release (ep 40 ish). I meant to finish it at some point but never did. I do have to say I loved Carrie Savage's sultry Arimi voice. She was my favorite character in the show and kept me going in the series for awhile. The manga is enjoyable as well, although apparently the mangaka had to stretch out the end of the book due to the anime.
e-imi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I know this was one of the first shoujo anime series I every watched (along with Hana Yori Dango) but I haven't been able to find it available to buy anywhere online. If someone can tell me where I can find it, I would be so happy. I was fortunately able to buy HanaDan last Christmas from TRSI when they had their sale, but I have always missed this series, and never got to see the end.

Does anybody know where I can purchase it? Thanks! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I watched this more than a decade ago (back at an era before shoujo became in vogue - nobody fansubs shoujo back then), and I still can't believe I survived ep #48! Can never watch that ep again! It's so girly soap opera-ish! Laughing

I still say the series should had ended at ep #72! That would have been the perfect ending EVAH! Twisted Evil
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
I got this title when Tokyo Pop released it in the 4 "Books". I haven't watched it a while but it's a fun show. Histrionic, Hysterical and just darn cute!
cetriya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
One of the first manga I read back in 9th grade.

I guess I should see what the NY story arc
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
e-imi wrote:
I know this was one of the first shoujo anime series I every watched (along with Hana Yori Dango) but I haven't been able to find it available to buy anywhere online. If someone can tell me where I can find it, I would be so happy. I was fortunately able to buy HanaDan last Christmas from TRSI when they had their sale, but I have always missed this series, and never got to see the end.

Does anybody know where I can purchase it? Thanks! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

I purchased Scrapbook 1 on Amazon for $15. Right now, the only one thats pricey is 4, around $30.

It's funny this show was just mentioned; iI just started watching it last night. I'd never seen it before, and it was a blind buy. I do wonder though- spoiler[ why yuu keeps making out with his soon to be sister. that part doesn't make sense to me. ]

everything else so far is great; the commentary made me cry it was so funny. I've still got about 14 episodes to go on the first book; but i'm ordering 2 and 3 now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Nice to read this piece. I still remember the days when Marmalade Boy was wildly popular on the VHS fansub circuit but was never into shoujo / romance enough to grab into it. I know from friends it was a rather high quality show, so I am a bit sad an official release never got to reach a decent audience here. Maybe I'll track down the first box to get a taste. Thanks again for the writeup.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

It's funny this show was just mentioned; iI just started watching it last night. I'd never seen it before, and it was a blind buy. I do wonder though- spoiler[ why yuu keeps making out with his soon to be sister. that part doesn't make sense to me. ]

When you see the movie, you'll know why. Laughing
(Dunno if that was R1 released though.)

lord_darkseid wrote:
Nice to read this piece. I still remember the days when Marmalade Boy was wildly popular on the VHS fansub circuit but was never into shoujo / romance enough to grab into it.

And yet, pretty much only 1 fansub group was working on it - Tomodachi (Techno-Girls was helping distribute it).

lord_darkseid wrote:

I know from friends it was a rather high quality show, so I am a bit sad an official release never got to reach a decent audience here.

Many shoujo from that era came a little too late in R1 since, as I mentioned, shoujo wasn't in vogue back then, so American companies didn't want to risk licensing them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
Justin: But now tell us what you think of Ultra Maniac.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Justin: But now tell us what you think of Ultra Maniac.

Actually haven't seen enough yet to give it a fair opinion. Heard it wasn't very good.

If I must prove to you my Yoshizumi Wataru fandom, I do own the Japanese LD of HANDSOME na Kannojo. Smile
atlanime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
Don't forget the movie prequal!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:01 am Reply with quote
As a romance fan but a Shoujo sceptic I have mixed feelings about this. It's 76 episodes long, all of which I'd have to track down and import. Despite my casual enjoyment of preserves the name doesn't woo me particularly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote
I think this proves Toei's staying power as a wonderful animation studio, and its impact on many genres.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
As a romance fan but a Shoujo sceptic I have mixed feelings about this. It's 76 episodes long, all of which I'd have to track down and import. Despite my casual enjoyment of preserves the name doesn't woo me particularly.

Hahaha, maybe if you find out the reason for the title name, you'd laugh too. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4