• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AIC Teases about Project with Tenchi Creator Kajishima

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Tenchi's cousin? Who might that be?

Sorry, I was still under the impression that Seina is Tenchi's cousin. They do look nearly identical. Also, Tenchi is apparently related to everyone ever.

Anath_19 wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

OVA 3 had a conclusion, its just that K-sensei got lost telling what he felt were fun side stories and then the last episode comes off rushed. OVA 3 +1 gave us a bit more closure but I do agree that the explanation of spoiler[Kiyone's death] was poor and there is disappointment in a lack of explanation about Mihoshi.

Um... spoiler that please? Not only does it seem rather important, it's about a character who wasn't even in the first two OVA series (yet was present in the two TV series).

Actually, he's talking about a completely different character who happens to have the same name as the more well known character. This other character is known to be dead within the first few episodes of nearly every incarnation of Tenchi available.

I wish it weren't nearly impossible to get ahold of the original OVAs on DVD. They need to re-release them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Sorry, I was still under the impression that Seina is Tenchi's cousin. They do look nearly identical. Also, Tenchi is apparently related to everyone ever.

Anath_19 wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

OVA 3 had a conclusion, its just that K-sensei got lost telling what he felt were fun side stories and then the last episode comes off rushed. OVA 3 +1 gave us a bit more closure but I do agree that the explanation of spoiler[Kiyone's death] was poor and there is disappointment in a lack of explanation about Mihoshi.

Um... spoiler that please? Not only does it seem rather important, it's about a character who wasn't even in the first two OVA series (yet was present in the two TV series).

Actually, he's talking about a completely different character who happens to have the same name as the more well known character. This other character is known to be dead within the first few episodes of nearly every incarnation of Tenchi available.

I wish it weren't nearly impossible to get ahold of the original OVAs on DVD. They need to re-release them.

Yes. Kiyone is the name of Tenchi's mother in the canon. The name confusion is allegedly due to Hasegawa-sensei taking the name and using it for her stories when Kajishima-sensei had already decided the was to be used for Tenchi's mother. Well this shows K-sensei's weakness in not giving up information because he doesn't feel you (the audience) need to know it.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Anath_19 wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

The OAV Kiyone is different from the one seen in the TV series. They have nothing to do with each other except that the creator of the Kiyone in the TV series borrowed a name Kajishima-san had already picked out.

edit: opps, looks like several of us posted about this at the same time. redundancy now Anime hyper

AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Quote:

I'm still waiting for the fourth Ryo-Ohki OVA.

This was always a longshot since officially, OVA 3 ends the Tenchi series. K-sensei has hinted that he might do something with Tenchi after Seikishi Monogatari, but honestly I don't think most people will care for it. I expect it will be stories along the lines of what he's done in recent doujinshi (sans the H-one of course) showing "fun at Tenchi's house."

Well wasn't OAV three supposed to show Tenchi picking who he marries? And since that didn't happen wasn't it stated there would be a fourth OAV where he did?

As a Tenchi fan, I'll look forward to this series, but cautiously because both GXP and OAV 3 did have some serious flaws. However, I'm sure I'll buy it no matter what. I bought both of those and Tenchi in Tokyo afterall. I expect this next series to be either something so different that, like Dual, it will stand on it's own.

I think Kajishima is trying to follow in the footsteps of Leiji Matsumoto with the multiple connected universes...[/i]
Anath_19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Yes. Kiyone is the name of Tenchi's mother in the canon. The name confusion is allegedly due to Hasegawa-sensei taking the name and using it for her stories when Kajishima-sensei had already decided the was to be used for Tenchi's mother. Well this shows K-sensei's weakness in not giving up information because he doesn't feel you (the audience) need to know it.

Ah-ha, thanks for the clarification. I never would have realized that.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
Quote:

I'm still waiting for the fourth Ryo-Ohki OVA.

This was always a longshot since officially, OVA 3 ends the Tenchi series. K-sensei has hinted that he might do something with Tenchi after Seikishi Monogatari, but honestly I don't think most people will care for it. I expect it will be stories along the lines of what he's done in recent doujinshi (sans the H-one of course) showing "fun at Tenchi's house."

Well wasn't OAV three supposed to show Tenchi picking who he marries? And since that didn't happen wasn't it stated there would be a fourth OAV where he did?

Nope. There was a great deal of fan excitement over something AIC put out in English prior to OVA 3's release (in which they state Tenchi chooses) but that was shot down sometime later before episode 1 came out.

You have to understand that TM!R was never about Tenchi choosing a girl. I know, it is an easy trap to fall into because even I fell into it way back when I first became a fan of the anime. The story is about how a seemingly average Japanese boy is really something else. The girls, Juraian politics, and the like are just elements of that story. Considering K-sensei's love of harem endings and considering the hints he's left regarding TM!R, don't expect anything other than a harem ending. Such an ending can actually be easily justified story-wise since there are political marriages. Anime smile

Quote:
I think Kajishima is trying to follow in the footsteps of Leiji Matsumoto with the multiple connected universes...[/i]

I'm only just now getting into Matsumoto's works (having recently blogged Space Battleship Yamato and now starting Space Battleship Yamato 2) but considering how all his characters look alike...*lol* At least K-sensei's characters look different (for the most part).

Anath_19 wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Ah-ha, thanks for the clarification. I never would have realized that.

No problem. Before OVA 3 came out, we had word from Japan about how Tenchi's mother was named by Kajishima as "Kiyone" and not "Achika." However, due to the language barrier, there was always some element of doubt as to whether K-sensei did name Tenchi's mother "Kiyone" or not . OVA 3 finally gave us that confirmation (and about time too).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
I'm only just now getting into Matsumoto's works (having recently blogged Space Battleship Yamato and now starting Space Battleship Yamato 2) but considering how all his characters look alike...*lol* At least K-sensei's characters look different (for the most part).

Well, Matsumoto certainly has a style, like Bruce Timm, but I wouldn't say his characters all look alike. He's not Hisashi Hirai. Dr. Sado doesn't look like Shima. Emeraldas doesn't look like Theresa (much). Emeraldas does look like Matael, but the two are twin sisters.

I defy you to find another Matsumoto character that looks exactly like Desslar's assistant Hiss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
I misread this as Shirokishi Monogatari (The upcoming Level 5 PS3 game, also called White Knight Chronicles).

It's nice to see more from the Tenchi creator. I've been a fan of Tenchi for a long time (even have all of the manga), and enjoyed Dual, as well.

This should be pretty good.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

I think I'm all Tenchi Muyo'd out. GXP looks uninteresting and Mahou Shoujo Club needs to get the heck away from me. Granted, I made an entire RPG campaign whose secondary objective was to build the mythos of Kiyone Makibi (Mihoshi, too), but I think I'm at my limit. Let me have my memories and move on.

Yeah, same here. And we first encountered Tenchi when we were collecting the OAV LDs as AIC was putting them out (remember, this was an era when the sales of a preceeding OAV determined whether there's enough money to make a succeeding OAV, so there was no guarantee how far an OAV series will go --it's not pre-determined-- so we knew there's no guarantee we would get any sort of ending).

So it has been a long time (and we could say we were there before it became a celebrity Laughing ... Heh, kinda like the X-Files, though in that case, it's Ep #2. Wink Speaking of the X-Files...) But there comes a time when a long show, any show, jumps the shark. Razz
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
krownklown wrote:
^i agree with almost everything astroboy says except for ova 3 ending it, i know I've talked with you about it before but there is still so much stuff left to tell, like how in the doujinshi he may have multiple kids at least one, etc. , so i would love to see that done
Same here. OVA 3 was not going to be the "end of the Franchise". I still have a hard copy of his original interview from the old AIC BBS and he states "Third OVA is about goddess war. Later Ova(OVA 4)will be about time of peace after the war. Here the story will tie up some loose ends, and open questions will be answered." But he's doing the same thing he did with the third OVA, and that is doing a spin-off before it. One has to remember that GXP, though produced before OVA-3, is chronologically 3 years after the goddess war, and I believe it affected the length and quaility of OVA 3 making it looked rushed with such an abrupt loose ending. I also don't believe that if and when Tenchi ends, it will be as a harum. I still believe that was what GXP was for, to appease the harum loving fans. But it wouldn't be the first time Mr.K has changed what he previously said would, or would not happen. spoiler[Washuu getting her goddess powers back, for one.] Wink
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:41 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Well, as krownklown mentioned upthread, Kiriko Masaki in GXP is Tenchi's cousin, so you were still right, just about the wrong person. Wink
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Well, Matsumoto certainly has a style, like Bruce Timm, but I wouldn't say his characters all look alike. He's not Hisashi Hirai. Dr. Sado doesn't look like Shima. Emeraldas doesn't look like Theresa (much). Emeraldas does look like Matael, but the two are twin sisters.

Actually, I was not so much refering to characters within a series but from series to series. It seems like there's a Starsha/Yuki clone on every one of his series as well as a KODAI Susumu clone (Captain Harlock I believe is the other name, but that's on my list to watch down the road a bit).

Quote:
I defy you to find another Matsumoto character that looks exactly like Desslar's assistant Hiss.

*lol* I'll keep an eye peeled, but I'm sure you are correct. Anime smile

enurtsol wrote:
...remember, this was an era when the sales of a preceeding OAV determined whether there's enough money to make a succeeding OAV, so there was no guarantee how far an OAV series will go --it's not pre-determined-- so we knew there's no guarantee we would get any sort of ending).

In a sense, that's still true, though not in an episode by episode basis. What I mean is that for OVA 3 to be created, GXP had to do well. It did. For Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari to get the green light, OVA 3 had to do well financially. It did well and indeed we scored OVA 3 +1 as well thanks to the Japanese fans.

Mohawk52 wrote:
krownklown wrote:
^i agree with almost everything astroboy says except for ova 3 ending it, i know I've talked with you about it before but there is still so much stuff left to tell, like how in the doujinshi he may have multiple kids at least one, etc. , so i would love to see that done
Same here. OVA 3 was not going to be the "end of the Franchise". I still have a hard copy of his original interview from the old AIC BBS and he states "Third OVA is about goddess war. Later Ova(OVA 4)will be about time of peace after the war. Here the story will tie up some loose ends, and open questions will be answered."

Hmmm...I don't have that in my docs. I do have this from his interview on AIC's English website (and it isn't the greatest translation).

Quote:
K: His decision will be the biggest break point of "Tenchi Muyo!" And end the Chapter one of OVA series.

T: Tenchi is chased into a life that he can't make the choice as a normal male human being. Or I should say his destiny has determined what he has to go through. Tenchi is not allowed to have his own will and it all caused from his environment and fates. He must go through good and bad things. Will Tenchi's life changed in the 3rd OVA series?

K: The easy way to put the whole things is, Tenchi Muyo! the 1st, 2nd and 3rd are like in WW2. The Chapter 2 of OVA are post WW2.

T: I believe people will be curious about the Chapter 2 as well. Do you have the idea now?

K: Um...I wonder the project will be accepted by anybody...cause its about a normal daily life after war.

T: Its like after war and everything settled, the rest of it is just normal daily life.

K: Yes. But, there will be another meaning of "war" waiting for him...

T: Yeah, the "war" that is different from "The earth is in DANGER!" things.

K: Therefore, I think there will be no more 4th, 5th of "Tenchi Muyo! Ryohki"OVA Chapter one.

That last sentence basically tells me no "OVA 4 or 5." There may be a NEW TM!R OVA with a different name to denote "chapter 2" but the K-sensei also states he's not sure people would accept a chapter 2 story. Therefore, I don't expect to see another TM!R tale, but as long as Kajishima makes AIC money, he can do what he bloody well pleases, eh? Wink

Nobuyuki wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Well, as krownklown mentioned upthread, Kiriko Masaki in GXP is Tenchi's cousin, so you were still right, just about the wrong person. Wink

A very distant cousin though since the Kanji for "Masaki" is different (or at least, that's what my sleepy brain is telling me). Razz
EricDent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting!

As a big fan of the Tenchi franchise, I am very interested in this new project.

It does sound a bit like Dual, but that was a very different show than the other "Tenchi" shows, so I am all for an alternate universe tale.

As far as GXP goes, I liked it. The only thing that I did not like was the ending.

The OVA 3 stuff was a bit odd, but if you go and re-watch the entire OVA 1 & 2 it makes a bit more sense.

Magical Girls Club did have Tenchi characters in it, Mihoshi, Washu, Ryo-Ohki, and of course Sasami. Of course I have only seen the first 13 episodes, so I can't say if Tenchi (or somebody that looks like him) will show up.
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Nobuyuki wrote:
... Kiriko Masaki in GXP is Tenchi's cousin...)

A very distant cousin though since the Kanji for "Masaki" is different (or at least, that's what my sleepy brain is telling me). Razz

True, but still close enough for her (and her mother) to attend the funeral in OVA 3 episode 1. Wink
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
True, but still close enough for her (and her mother) to attend the funeral in OVA 3 episode 1. Wink

hmm, I had taken that to be because Kiriko was one of Seto-sama's attendants at the time... however it stands to reason that all the related Imperial line on earth would know each other. Think of who Yosho and Rhea had to make their report to about Ryoko and Ayeka's fight and subsequent destruction of bridges and schools and so forth.

Also there may be a slight bit of connection between Tenchi's mom and Sienna, spoiler[as she writes baka on his head while in hospital]... so there may be more connections with Tenchi than are revealed to us. I magine how many weddings Yosho has presided over, how many people he knows? How many people his children have known, and so on.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Hmmm...I don't have that in my docs. I do have this from his interview on AIC's English website (and it isn't the greatest translation).

Quote:
K: His decision will be the biggest break point of "Tenchi Muyo!" And end the Chapter one of OVA series.

T: Tenchi is chased into a life that he can't make the choice as a normal male human being. Or I should say his destiny has determined what he has to go through. Tenchi is not allowed to have his own will and it all caused from his environment and fates. He must go through good and bad things. Will Tenchi's life changed in the 3rd OVA series?

K: The easy way to put the whole things is, Tenchi Muyo! the 1st, 2nd and 3rd are like in WW2. The Chapter 2 of OVA are post WW2.

T: I believe people will be curious about the Chapter 2 as well. Do you have the idea now?

K: Um...I wonder the project will be accepted by anybody...cause its about a normal daily life after war.

T: Its like after war and everything settled, the rest of it is just normal daily life.

K: Yes. But, there will be another meaning of "war" waiting for him...

T: Yeah, the "war" that is different from "The earth is in DANGER!" things.

K: Therefore, I think there will be no more 4th, 5th of "Tenchi Muyo! Ryohki"OVA Chapter one.

That last sentence basically tells me no "OVA 4 or 5." There may be a NEW TM!R OVA with a different name to denote "chapter 2" but the K-sensei also states he's not sure people would accept a chapter 2 story. Therefore, I don't expect to see another TM!R tale, but as long as Kajishima makes AIC money, he can do what he bloody well pleases, eh? Wink
Ah! But he goes on after that:
Quote:
T: Then, Tenchi Muyo! Ryohki the 3rd is base on the conflict between Tenchi and "Z", and the rest of the stories will be influenced by the purposes of Goddesses.

K: Also about how Tenchi is going to deal with all that.

T: I think the male fans are curious about Tenchi's "love life", you know what I mean (grin). In what situation that Tenchi have to choice is the most mystery and interesting part for us.

K: I agree. Personally, I want to end the story of the war between Goddesses and move the story to the romantic part too. I am interesting in "that "as well (laugh)
and he never did that with OVA 3. There was that "extra episode", but that was just superfluous filler IMHO and counts for nothing in moving the story forward. He calls it "Chapter two", but for all intense and purposes it will be a continuation of the OVA canon, therefore to the rest of us it will be the fourth OVA, don't you think? Wink As for making money for AIC, I doubt AIC relies on him for that with the great length of time between his productions. I think AIC has been trying to stay afloat by pandering to the moe/lolicom, fanservice otaku, but seeing no future in that, have dusted him off again to gain some decent credibility back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4