• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - October 18th - 24th

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Unfortunately, they really don't expect anyone to tune in at that crap time slot. That's kinda the point, it's where they can fulfill any contractual obligations but not worry about their precious ratings. Apparently a rerun of a show that was canceled or at least seems to be, like 12 Oz. Mouse, are more important.

Exactly, it would seem like Adult Swim is preparing to dump anime totally except for Bleach. I only say that because Bleach is the only show that managed to still get decent ratings no matter how many times they shifted around the schedule. In my opinion though its their own fault that the anime was getting bad ratings. No show can be expected to do well without advertising and promotion. And I'll throw in that they weren't exactly picking the best shows either. I'd say for the last couple of year it seemed like they were picking shows for how long they were rather than if it was actually good. No offense intended to people that are/were fans of Eureka Seven or Blood+, but I really think those shows were selected because of the episode count rather than the quality level. Considering that they were only airing shows with new episodes on the Saturday block. Somehow if anime series continue to air on AS I don't see anything with less than 24 episodes ever getting on there again. Not counting FLCL since it seems to be a favorite of the people at AS regardless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
And I'll throw in that they weren't exactly picking the best shows either. I'd say for the last couple of year it seemed like they were picking shows for how long they were rather than if it was actually good. No offense intended to people that are/were fans of Eureka Seven or Blood+, but I really think those shows were selected because of the episode count rather than the quality level.

I actually think AS got E7(my favorite anime) and Blood+(Way up there on favorite list) simply because they liked them. Long, slow, plot-driven shows that make no sense if you miss even a single episode? Viewership would only get lower over time. So it seems to me AS just aired them because they thought "hey, we like these shows, we'll let people in America enjoy it too".

And if the recent rumors about AS' management shifting around are true, it could mean the people who got E7 and Blood+ and the like were replaced by people who did the current schedule changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
In the case of both shows, they fell out of my interest while they were premiering on the weekly basis that they were, but I found them much more interesting once they were added to the weeknight rotation. Blood+ wasn't even finished when they added it to weeknights for the brief time it was on, but it was enough that I tuned in to see the series to its finish. Eureka Seven I'll just have to hope a 3rd time is the charm. I tried when it was premiering, I even tried during the weeknight rotation, but eventually the timeslot it was in made it too difficult to try to stick with it on a 5 nights a week basis. In the end I suppose that both fit the better on DVD trope. So sooner or later I'll probably give both of them a look again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
AS gave up the rights to E7 shortly after it had a weekday run, and Blood+'s status is most likely in question these days, what with the bare minimum of anime on the block. But E7's out on DVD entirely, and Blood+ is probably close.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
but I found them much more interesting once they were added to the weeknight rotation. Blood+ wasn't even finished when they added it to weeknights for the brief time it was on, but it was enough that I tuned in to see the series to its finish.

Never let it be said there aren't benefits to being distributed by a monolith like Sony that can stare down at Turner Co. and say "Thou shalt not screw with our show."
wrote:
But E7's out on DVD entirely, and Blood+ is probably close.

Part 1 is out, and I thought the second half was supposed to be out by Spring 2009, but who knows considering they are only halfway through the singles (with a 3-4 month gap) of Part 1.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Only 20 more to go... only 20 more to go... Anime exclamation My resolve has weakened, but not shattered!! Even under the crushing weight of such craptacular fillers! *sobs with relief* I haven't pirated Naruto, consarnit!!!!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
Having seen Strait Jacket, I must say that it strikes me as being pretty damned good! Surprised I've never taken to Gurran Leggan(?) so quite frankly, I was ready to be disappointed. Anime catgrin Talk about a pleasant surprise! Shocked

It may have been my imagination, but it seemed to me that the voice actor for the rogue tactical sorcerist was the same guy who did Spike in Cowboy Bebop; also, it seemed to me that the voice actress for the Inspector also did the role of Sister Esther in Trinity Blood, while the Voice actress of the half-demon girl seemed to me to be awfully similar to the voice acting done for the schiff(?) girl who survives to the end of Blood+. It was positively surreal listening to these voices that I could not help but associate with other characters in different series!
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:24 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
It may have been my imagination, but it seemed to me that the voice actor for the rogue tactical sorcerist was the same guy who did Spike in Cowboy Bebop; also, it seemed to me that the voice actress for the Inspector also did the role of Sister Esther in Trinity Blood, while the Voice actress of the half-demon girl seemed to me to be awfully similar to the voice acting done for the schiff(?) girl who survives to the end of Blood+. It was positively surreal listening to these voices that I could not help but associate with other characters in different series!

Well you were right on 2 out of those 3. The inspector was Bridget Hoffman. I don't think the person that played Sister Esther from Trinity Blood has done any voice work outside of Funimation productions.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Here's a refresher for those of you who don't know Bridget Hoffman. She voiced KOS-MOS in Ep. 1 and 3 of Xenosaga. There, that takes care of that.

As for Strait Jacket, I honestly want to just call it an Akira clone with its grotesque factor and semi-boring plot. Wasn't very good. I think I wasted my Monday night with that one.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
A lot of people on gamefaqs loved Strait Jacket, especially its dub, with Steve Blum vs. Crispin Freeman. I fell asleep early and missed most of it, but I liked what little I saw.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2