• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Shikabane Hime: AKA Acquisition

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess 'nearly a month later' isn't too bad. No mention of whether this will be available outside of the US, but given that it's provided by Funimation rather than Gainax directly (unlike the recent Gonzo attempts) all signs point to no. A pity, as it kind of misses the point entirely in getting it online faster than the fansubs. Maybe the video quality will make up for it, but all past efforts have been abysmal so there's little hope of that (and living outside of the US, if I wanted to compare I'd have to download it illegally anyway).
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Son-of-a-bitch. This means the fansub group I was following for this will drop it. Goddammit! I've seen two episodes of this and I've no idea if it will be epic or just bland. I won't buy it just because it's Gainax, but I checked it out just because it's Gainax.
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
but does that mean this will be out on DVD to US as well?

i don't like download-to-own thing because of DRM and have limited option to view (PC or PC hooked up to TV)...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
testorschoice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
No mention of whether this will be available outside of the US, but given that it's provided by Funimation rather than Gainax directly (unlike the recent Gonzo attempts) all signs point to no. A pity, as it kind of misses the point entirely in getting it online faster than the fansubs.

mulrich wrote:
Son-of-a-bitch. This means the fansub group I was following for this will drop it. Goddammit! I've seen two episodes of this and I've no idea if it will be epic or just bland. I won't buy it just because it's Gainax, but I checked it out just because it's Gainax.

Unless something has changed, YouTube doesn't IP-block its free streams from international viewers, so everyone should be able to taste-test this anime legally.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. It's not quite as good as BOST's distribution scheme was, but it's also backed up by a very soon DVD release.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
More than likely Funimation will release the series on DVD as well somewhere down the road.

mulrich wrote:

Yeah, now you gotta settle for watching it free online legally. Damn, why does life suck so hard?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
abstract-alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking for these purported releases by funimation on Joost. They don't really seem to exist, which is really pissing me off, especially now with Shikabane Hime, because to me Gainax = success. If anyone else has been able to find funimation stuff on Joost, let me know.
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
This looked pretty interesting to me. Anyway this is rgeat news. (I can't wait for a NTSC DVD (or BD) release. In the meantime I'll check it out for free. If its good I'll definately pick it up.
Tiamats Reviews

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Only the first episode is going to be streamed on those sites for free. After that it moves to funi's own with DRM/WMP only.

Shame they didn't do a gonzo and sign up with BOST or someone similar. Als sucks they're limiting it to US only, thats not a way of getting rid of fansubs. Im in the UK and will still have to rely on the fansubs
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Tiamats Reviews wrote:
Only the first episode is going to be streamed on those sites for free. After that it moves to funi's own with DRM/WMP only.

According to Funimation's press release, it's not just the first episode that will be streamed for free:

Quote:
Starting Friday, October 24, Funimation will deliver high-quality, English subtitled streaming episodes of Gainax’s latest anime Shikabane Hime (Corpse Princess), through video-sharing partners YouTube.com, Joost.com and Hulu.com as well as www.funimation.com – all for free.

Last edited by Egan Loo on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Unless something has changed, YouTube doesn't IP-block its free streams from international viewers, so everyone should be able to taste-test this anime legally.

That's pretty cold comfort for viewers outside the US who had been watching high-definition fansubs before, and would happily pay $2 for a reasonable quality downloadable copy if it was DRM-free.

If they do restrict things to DRMed releases for the US only, then I hope Funimation's effort fails utterly. BOST had so many things right, why can't companies follow that example instead? Confused

Personally I'm not too fussed. While it wasn't bad, this one gave a strong sense that it was more of an obligatory thing, Gainax producing something simply to keep their name out there and bring in some extra cash while they work on their real products (the new Evangelion and Gurren Lagann films)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Tiamats Reviews wrote:

Where does it say that?

The Article wrote:
Starting Friday, October 24, Funimation will deliver high-quality, English subtitled streaming episodes of Gainax's latest anime Shikabane Hime (Corpse Princess), through video-sharing partners YouTube.com, Joost.com and Hulu.com as well as www.funimation.com – all for free.

They said the first one is being posted to these online sites on the 24th. Not that it's the only episode being posted on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
More than likely Funimation will release the series on DVD as well somewhere down the road.

mulrich wrote:

Yeah, now you gotta settle for watching it free online legally. Damn, why does life suck so hard?
becaues the quality is very crappy...

and lol @ charging people 1.99 to download it when you can just rip it from the streams....unless the 1.99 versions are HD..but that's never been the case so far in this stuff

I like to watch my anime full screen and that tends to look like crap any of the streaming I've seen so far.

Last edited by Kougeru on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
mulrich

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Nebs wrote:
mulrich wrote:

becaues the quality is very crappy...

Exactly.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
First they say "I want to see it for free!"

Then it's "I want to see if for free in HD!"

Next it will be "I want to be paid to watch it for free in HD!" Rolling Eyes

On the other side of things, the side that pays for anime, I'm pretty darn okay with all of this. This announcement expands things from just Funimation's YouTube channel and seems to mark it as a proper license. (So DVDs are now expected.) Very good indeed.

Amazingly, I'm not all that vexed by the possibility that it might not be in HD. SD didn't suddenly start looking horrible just because HD came about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5