• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Filming Scheduled for Live-Action Dragonball Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote
Wait, I thought the filming was "finished", and that the studio heads and actors involved loved the final product. Rolling Eyes Methinks it won't make its April date at this point, either. Laughing
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
Straight to DVD. Straight to DVD.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Twenyieth Century Fox

Where did this come from? The studio has gotten asian now?
BenBrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Eh, callbacks are nothing new. Early screenings probably found that it needed an extra background scene or something.

Note: Not that I don't think the early release "merchandiser" clip made the movie look terrible.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Ben: But isn't a re-shoot the kind of thing they should be announcing before a release date?
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Ben: But isn't a re-shoot the kind of thing they should be announcing before a release date?

Not really, the movie could be going through test audiences and they haven't been overly praising so the studio could change something. This happens, sometimes the movie has a release date, other times it doesn't.
BenBrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Not really, the movie could be going through test audiences and they haven't been overly praising so the studio could change something. This happens, sometimes the movie has a release date, other times it doesn't.

Yep Smile The blog this was linked to specifically stated that the shoots were for retakes/additional scenes and only for a single days worth of shooting.

As to when release dates are set, that's pretty much a business decision, when the movie will fall against other scheduled releases to bring in the most money. Then the studio scrambles to get things done in time. In this case they got extra time due to the Clone Wars/Tropic Thunder overlap.. might as well try to make things not crap.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
BenBrown wrote:
... might as well try to make things not crap.

Well then, perhaps they have time to make Justin Whatshisname hair really look like Goku's spikey fro, and Bulma have Blue hair....
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Primus: But it hasn't been shown to test audiences yet. Unless you count the reception for the leaked trailer. Rolling Eyes

Honya: If they didn't want it to look like crap, then Stephen Chow would be directing, and that "The One" guy would be producing. Razz
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Ben: Yeah, but now it's lined up agaisnt Hannah Montana. And while you could make the arguement that the two movies are going after two different demographics, there will be a segment of the population who won't want to go to the cinemas because of fears of getting run over by preteen girls. This is why I won't be watching any movies in the theatres this weekend.

Gatsu: Well... the word of the street(blogs) was that FOX wasn't too pleased with it. So there is your test audience(not really)? The old word on the street was that the reshoots may be for Piccolo, though that would be tough to do in a day I suppose.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Primus: I thought the word was that FOX loved it, at least according to all the cast-members who were hyping the film.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:41 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Primus: I thought the word was that FOX loved it, at least according to all the cast-members who were hyping the film.

Now really, do you really wanna badmouth the folks that give you paychecks?

Much like how Knight Rider, despite being abysmal, is still being made because it's cheaper for Ford to fund the product placement aspect of it to NBC.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya: Well, "love it" should at least mean, "doesn't suck that much", if not "best ever". Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1