• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - A.D. Police Files

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Toshio Furakawa is worth getting this for. Anything with him in it is worth it.

The dub is as painfully bad as the Bubblegum Crisis dub, though. Honestly, the studio should be prosecuted for war crimes.

The OVA is really just indulgant, retro cyberpunk, but entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Descent123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Well I'll start with AD Police Films for the introduction to Bubblegum Crisis (well, introduce the series to me at least).
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Man Who Bites His Tongue is the least of the three stories, a clear Robocop rip-off

Well, since Robocop ripped off 8-Man first, I think it's only fair. Wink

Anyway, I've always hated that A.D. Police is the red-headed stepchild of the series, since it's probably genetically closer to Blade Runner than BGC-the latter of which just face-lifts references to BR without actually having anything remotely cyberpunk to it. I even liked the ADP tv show for at least having the same feel, if not the same style. Don't care about Parasite Dolls, though....
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Ha, wow, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt this way about the show. Actually, I saw it relatively recently when I found it at my university's library (which has most of AnimEigo's DVD releases, interestingly - even 35 volumes of Urusei Yatsura). It was something I hadn't bothered looking for before because, well...I just kept forgetting about it. After seeing it, though, I've thought about it quite often...they really did pull this off very well considering the visible budget constraints. I'll probably buy myself a copy of it soon enough.

I wish I could find posters of some of those...I guess they were promotional paintings used for AnimEigo's DVD packaging and in the gallery. They're magnificently thought out.

Also, for some reason I assumed the AD Police manga mentioned in the DVD (and which I believe the credits said this OVA was based on to some extent...?) hadn't been published here, but it looks like Viz put out a volume of it in 1995. And serialized in Animerica at some point, apparently. Huh. Anyone read that before? I'll probably check it out on my own either way, but still.
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
I never really could get into AD Police, probably because I was so into the thematic flavor of BGC and it was rather hard to mentally adjust to ADP even though they're in the same world. The amped up sex and violence turned me off to it I guess. I'll try picking this up though if you say it's part of the Treasure instead of Garbage. Willing to try anything once. Smile
nechronius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:24 am Reply with quote
The review of ADP brings back memories. I really enjoyed the series for its very dark and somber overtones and mature themes when I saw this series on rental videotape over a decade ago.

I haven't really been paying attention to DVD releases but I think I'll go pick this up so I can put it next to my Bubblegum Crisis OAV DVDs. BGC was not a standout series, but it was the first Time I watched an anime without dubs or subs and just had to "figure it out.". The TV series obviously had more Time to develop properly. But I digress...

I think the review is a bit harsh about The Man Who Bit His Tongue though. Ok fine, it's a dude in a metal body. But I don't recall Robocop having a psychological breakdown that meant breaking off a relationship with the only person who would be sexually involved with him (Trying not to spoil too much here). I thought the whole bit (no pun intended) about biting the tongue was actually a very interesting and effective point and makes this episode the one I remember most clearly.

Anyway, Time to go shopping.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
You know why I love these Buried Treasure reviews? Because they seem to always be pointing me at the exact kind of Anime I dig, but missed along the way.

A.D. Police Files seems like exactly the kind of 80s/90s sci-fi I love, and as soon as I have few bucks laying around I'll definitly be picking it up. Thanks for that.

I've never watched Bubble Gum Crisis though, is it anything like this OVA?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
Lou Bonnevie on the AD Police soundtrack was one of the odd bits of trivia I found on old FAQs for anime newsgroups. Haven't heard about any recent releases, concerts, or TV appearances, though I might have missed something.

Still haven't gotten around to seeing the BGC OVAs even though I saw the TV series. Should probably watch that before ADP.

Most recent Philippine reference I've seen in anime is Kai Sampaguita in Air Master. Haven't found any explanation for the name yet, though.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:12 am Reply with quote
Is this where AD Vision got its name from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:22 am Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
Is this where AD Vision got its name from?

"AD" supposedly stands for Animation Dubbing, which is on the copyright notice on some of their old VHS releases, like the Girl From Phantasia. Never watched that so I can't confirm.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Also, for some reason I assumed the AD Police manga mentioned in the DVD (and which I believe the credits said this OVA was based on to some extent...?) hadn't been published here, but it looks like Viz put out a volume of it in 1995. And serialized in Animerica at some point, apparently. Huh. Anyone read that before? I'll probably check it out on my own either way, but still.

I've got it. It ties into Bubblegum Crisis a little more since it has Brian J. Mason in it for a bit, plus it has Jeena trapped in a building fighting off bad guys singlehandedly. She name-drops Die Hard so we don't have to.

The word I generally use to describe the AD Police Files OAVs is "masochistic" because I think every single episode involves somebody uttering some sort of variation of the phrase "please shoot me repeatedly so I can feel the bullets tearing through my body/brains," a request that is shortly obliged soon afterwards. The word I generally use to describe the AD Police TV series is "unwatchable."

Edit: I prefer to use this link when referring to Streets of Fire! Though it owes much of its content to this one.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MomoConLiason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I've never watched Bubble Gum Crisis though, is it anything like this OVA?

Not at all. Assuming you mean the original BGC OVA series...

ADP is like the grim and gritty Nine Inch Nails worshipping younger brother to the 80's rock-pop loving older sister. The music is heavily influenced byStreets of Fire. Girls in combat suits combating an evil corporation with it's AI-Robotic boomer-goons.

Great fun series (if somewhat flawed and a bit dated) with memorable characters that brings up similar sci-fi philosophy.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Ah, good thing he mentioned it, I did confuse it with the AD Police. I loved that, but have never seen this. I started buying Bubblegum crisis but sold it back to wait on the boxset. Guess I'll have too pick this up first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
MomoConLiason wrote:
Assuming you mean the original BGC OVA series... The music is heavily influenced byStreets of Fire.

That's an understatement. Ever compare the opening scenes of BGC ("Konya wa Hurricane") and Streets of Fire ("Nowhere Fast")? Direct homage, right down to the microphone.

That's far from the only direct Streets of Fire homage in anime. (I'm thinking of Zillion: Burning Night, which rips it off completely.) I'm honestly considering doing an Buried Treasure special on just anime ripped from Streets of Fire!
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm still wondering how anyone can sit through Streets of Fire like they could with The Warriors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3