• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AIC Teases about Project with Tenchi Creator Kajishima

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
dangerwhat wrote:
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Quote:
It makes me wonder if he still has it.

I think he has it still, its just that while he excels in creating a world (or universe in this case) along the lines of Tolkien, he fails at presentation.

I don't know that I'd go THAT far but I certainly agree anyhow. He's definitely consistent in the world he creates, its just the continuous stories that just don't work out well enough. Granted, I don't think there has been anything he's done that I've seen that I haven't liked but his work does let me down a little nowadays. Feels like its just not quite as good as it could or should be.

If the scripts could have been written better and the direction better, even with the same story and characters, I don't believe there would be as many haters of OVA 3 in the U.S. as their are now (or even disappointed fans who still liked it in the end -- like me).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
Well, there were certainly elements of the third OVA I liked, like the reasons stated for the weird abnormalities in Tokimi's dimension and the character of Rae (I really liked this character). Otherwise, though, there was just too many unnecessary, pointless characters and a lot of wasted potential with the goddesses. Maybe if they'd spent less time talking about Jurian inner court relationships and preparing meals, and more time developing the existing characters and storyline, it wouldn't have turned out so awkward.

I wish, by the way, that the first two OVAs would be a tad more available on DVD. If you can find the full boxset, it's a bank breaker, and the individual volumes are difficult to find, too. If only Funimation would find a way to license or re-release the original OVA. Even Tenchi Universe is difficult to get ahold of ever since Geneon went under.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I wish, by the way, that the first two OVAs would be a tad more available on DVD. If you can find the full boxset, it's a bank breaker, and the individual volumes are difficult to find, too. If only Funimation would find a way to license or re-release the original OVA. Even Tenchi Universe is difficult to get ahold of ever since Geneon went under.

I will remind you that Geneon has not gone under. They just are not distributing their own titles themselves.

But I have that doesn't help get the DVDs by any means -.- I whouldn't be surprised if a new release was on the horizon, sounds like a good idea to me. Anyway, there has been a resurgence of 'classic' stuff being released lately, I think, as well as the new stuff so it'd be nice to see the Tenchi released again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4