• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My pet peeve is the pilot of a mecha who knows how to pilot it no matter what.
We've seen it in many mecha series, evangelion, gundam, rahxephon, anything with a super robot.

That's not an entirely fair comment. I'll grant you that someone just shoved in the pilot's seat and faced with an array of hundreds of unmarked buttons is unlikely to be able to figure out how to even get the thing started. However, a system as large and complex as a giant mecha could probably be made very easy to pilot. It's like computers. The more powerful and complex they get, the easier they ought to be to use. Actually, one of the worst 'mecha' shows I ever saw was Gasaraki. It spent so much time showing how difficult and demanding it was to pilot the mechas that I kept on wondering why they just didn't install better control systems in them.

Quark wrote:
Oh man, I have so much hatred for the Nympho Teacher character, especially if they are drunks as well. I think the worse case of this would have to be Ms. Shikijou from Mahoromatic.

Actually, she probably isn't spoiler[human, it seems fairly clear from the final episode that she's an android. She was presumably created to keep an eye on the young Suguru, but her personality appears to have been designed by Suguru's lecherous grandfather - not a good choice.]
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Aw, my submission about how much I despise Nymphomaniac Teachers didn't make it. Surely I'm not the only one?

Here's another person to back you up. Nothing really puts me off a series more than a ridiculous nympho teacher; that sort of thing might factor into a lot of adolescent fantasies and some people might find it hilariously innapropriate, but it sure don't rock my boat either way. I can't stand DearS for many reasons, this is one of them.

Hrmmm... For the question, it kind of conflicts with me. First it asks what was something you saw recently which was seriously exciting and a real joy to watch (TTGL. "Who the Hell do you think I am?" Very Happy), but then it adds 'something that reminds you why you're an Anime Fan'.
But... I became an Anime fan out of a mild sense of curiosity, not because I was really expecting anything of it. TTGL definitely doesn't remind me of that. Confused
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote
I couldn't help but laughing out loud at the whole flake of the week response! Goddamn, I don't know whether to classify that as mean, or totally appropriate for someone who asked you a dumb question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that the first question seems to indicate that the person who submitted it thinks that Taiga, the female lead of ToraDora isn't moe. So... apparently he/she thinks that tsundere isn't a moe class of its own.

Not to mention that the Kushieda, the other female in the emerging quadrangle-romance, is a classic genki / yowamoe girl.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl wrote:
The ending of the RahXephon anime series is actually one of the endings of an anime series that I can rather clearly remember watching for the first time and being emotionally affected by for the first time.

I suppose if you found the concepts and supernaturalism within the RahXephon universe throughout, then you could be touched by its conclusion.
As regards the way in which spoiler[the two main characters are given their 'happy ending'], I myself concur with the point The Rancorous wrote a few pages back. It is arguable that the plot was going that way, but I can't appreciate such an ending to a love story if spoiler[the couple we see throughout the series are spaciotemporally overwritten with essentially different characters].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
To the girl with crazy friends....
It happens. Back in high school, girls who were non-anime fans would spy on upperclassmen during their lunches, or slip things into their lockers. They'd even have sex in the bathroom. *pales at the idea of all those germs*

As for the erotic fanfiction, I was a big writer back in the day, I loved writing during class. This one particular boy; that i've spent the last 7 years with: he wanted me to write naughty stories about me and him. I had no idea how to go about it at the time. So he wrote stories for me. Needless to say, it worked.

While the situations are kinda the same, I guess this guy doesn't know he's liked. Maybe she should just tell him.

I have no problem with girls staring at guys (or what my school was known for; girls looking at girls) because it happens everywhere now. I could be in the mall; and if Adonis walks by you can bet 25 girls will be all over him. Is it right to stare them? probably not. But eye candy is eye candy. Wink

LOL to the flake.

Um the show that made me remember why I'm an anime fan? school Rumble. I just started watching S2 again and I am so into it.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
In terms of most recent anime to remind me why I'm a fan, then School Rumble. Bought Season 1 two weeks ago, and zoomed through the whole thing in 3 days (usually takes me a week to finish a 26-er). Hilarious stuff, looking forward to when I get around to buying Season 2. Other "reminders" this year have been Gurren Lagann and Haruhi Suzumiya.

Zalis: So you really enjoyed Vandread, huh? This one just got my notice after a re-watch of AMV Hell 4 (the classic "I'm gonna kill you"/"WHA?!"/"I didn't mean it!! Don't be angry!!" part Laughing). Boxset's kinda expensive though, so it'll probably have to wait until next year.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
Nice read this week! There were several lines that had me cracking up.

Zac wrote:
here isn't some secret cabal of Japanese artists who are in cahoots and decide exactly how females will be represented;

Imagine it now, several mangaka, animation producers, a couple otaku and OLs serving tea. All dressed like salarymen and discussing the appropriate ratios of tsudere, yandere and straight up moe~ characters and otaku pledging financial support for products. Laughing

In all seriousness, the appearance of some stronger females does not indicate that the moe beast is slain, just that some productions feel that they don't have to have only moe characters to survive. It's a risk and I personally hope it pays off. But, I don't think one season is going to kill the beast, more so, it may regulate itself to a subfandom the way mecha or magical girls have.

As far as the whole manga v. anime/anime v. manga debate, this topic has been one of the stupidest ones that fandom has come up with (and there have been some truly dumb dumb dumb arguments in the past).

Zac wrote:
The notion that a text is sacred and that any deviation makes a literary adaptation somehow inferior is a very close-minded way to view things. It's OK to want fidelity to the original text but being open to a new and exciting and even well-written - but different - interpretation of the story by an artist who knows what he's doing is great. Whether or not one is "better" than the others is almost a moot point, unless we're talking about wasted potential, which is what's really at the core of this issue.

I applaud Zac for his sense of level-headed-ness about the issue. There are constraints that different media - books, film, music, etc - that each has and will find different ways to compensate. I agree with him that a good adaption, even if it's not 100% faithful to the original, is a good adaption.

Creepy friend is creepy. Move along.

As far as anime cliches in general go, I can get past them for the most part. I agree with Daniel Koehn's point that cliches are like any other narrative device and if applied correctly, they can work together so they're not so, well, cliche.

Derick Jones wrote:
We've seen it in many mecha series, evangelion, gundam, rahxephon, anything with a super robot.

maaya wrote:
uhm, huh?? Shinji did not know how to pilot his mecha. He wasn't even able to walk, fell flat on his face and then got beaten up pretty badly until EVA 01 ran amok.

I felt bad because I thought I'd be the only one who'd fanboy out over this but I'm glad I've got some company.

In addition to maaya's comments about the first couple episodes of Evangelion, one more series that always seems to get mentioned is Mobile Suit Gundam, which, kinda isn't true.

Amuro Ray didn't know how to pilot the Gundam when he first stepped into it - he had to RTFM, literally. He was flipping through the Project V manual as he was fighting to find where weapons were and how to move.

Camille Bidan had experience with mobile suit engineering, so it was feasible that he at least knew the basics of how to get the RX-178 out of the colony. Even Judau Ashta had experience with mechanical vehicles while collecting junk in Shangrila. Garrod, from Gundam X, is a lot like Judau, with a whole lot more luck.

Christine McKenzie, Kou Uraki and Shiro Amada were trained EFSF pilots. I believe there were training scenes in G Gundam which showed how Domon learned to "pilot" his Gundam. Feasibly, the Gundam Wing pilots had training in piloting, despite their ages, which was probably lost in one of the plot holes somewhere. Gundam 00 would also fall into that camp.

I'm not sure about Turn A as I've only really watched the compilation movies and I don't recall them addressing the training situation.

Which leaves us with three stand-out examples of "pl0th4x": Seabook Arno from F-91, Usso Ebbing from V Gundam and Kira "Jesus" Yamato from Gundam SEED. Seabook, to my recollection, has no explination in the film why he can pilot at all. Usso, hops into the Victory and presses GO!, though there are episodes where he struggles later on. And finally, Kira. If ever the example of plot armor and mecha super-pilot cliche, it's Kira to a T. His Coordinator-HAX is so epic when he jumps into the Strike Gundam in the first episode he says, "I don't know how to do this, I'll just rewrite the operating system!" And he does. And he knows how to pilot it. Damn, I hate Kira Yamato.

Aside from the main characters, most other pilot magic is reasoned away by completely fictional plot devices. I'm namely thinking of people like Quess Paraya or Hathaway Noah or Lalah Sune who all have some sort of Newtype-HAX to rely on. spoiler[And if they's a character from a good Gundam series, then they probably end up dead anyway.]

So, from the Real Robot perspective, a lot of the pilots are trained in some form or fashion, whether it is prior knowledge or OJT, and we don't really have to see some sort of montage to get there. Super Robots are a different animal because there is a lot more suspension of disbelief involved.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Quote:

uhm, huh?? Shinji did not know how to pilot his mecha. He wasn't even able to walk, fell flat on his face and then got beaten up pretty badly until EVA 01 ran amok. But I certainly wouldn't call this "knowing how to pilot no matter what". And I think even before his second fight we see him doing some training - so do not complain about Evangelion Wink

or Gundam, as in the original Amuro slowly got better at piloting his Gundam, and in the beginning, was only won his fights because the enemy underestimated the Gundam's abilities.
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
I HATE the 'poor girl, rich school' cliche in shoujo. And I agree that the arguably abusive relationships some of these shoujo girls put up with is really obnoxious and annoying. (hana yori dango anyone?) I dont care how pretty a guy is, if he's an abusive jerk then I'd dump him in a second. Some of these mangaka need to get real.
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
Is the Chobits anime that different to the anime? I haven't seen the anime, but I'm pretty sure in the manga spoiler[it's explicitly stated Chi doesn't have real feelings, so doesn't really love him, and is just a machine, albeit a super special one.]

Quote:
You're not; that character type is next-in-line of archetypes that I think should be erased from existence, right after maid heroines and the "I can only speak my own name" types.

You don't like Pokémon? But that's probably my answer to this week's question!
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
What restored my faith in Anime? It would have to be Azumanga Daioh would be mine. I think it was a blind buy for me, because I was going to have surgery and wanted to have something to watch while I was recovering so I ordered all of the DVD's and the minute I started watching I felt so great about anime again, after being in a slump of not watching anything new for a while at that point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
IN HELL

"IN HFIL"

Fixed.
MBF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
I'm not sure about Turn A as I've only really watched the compilation movies and I don't recall them addressing the training situation.

I haven't seen the series for a while, but I believe there was some training. spoiler[ Course, the actual training was after they dug up the rest of the mobile suits that were scattered around the world.]
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
I HATE the 'poor girl, rich school' cliche in shoujo. And I agree that the arguably abusive relationships some of these shoujo girls put up with is really obnoxious and annoying. (hana yori dango anyone?) I don't care how pretty a guy is, if he's an abusive jerk then I'd dump him in a second. Some of these mangaka need to get real.

I'm sure Hana Yori Dango is actually one of the series that started this clichee, as it's already a classic today. But I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The first thing Tsukushi does is "declare war" against Domyoji and beat him up ... she certainly isn't a weak girl that simply puts up with a really obnoxious and annoying spoiled brat, nor with her annoying spoiled schoolmates. And at the beginning she actually likes Rui, who is quite the gentleman.
But there are other series that are really bad in that genre (Shinshi Doumei Cross comes to mind >< ).

Quote:
I felt bad because I thought I'd be the only one who'd fanboy out over this but I'm glad I've got some company.

*goes back to kneel in front of her EVA shrine*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7