• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-10-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Okay, here's my $0.02:

Anime better than the manga: I don't read nearly as much manga as I watch anime, but I will say this--some of us actually liked the Hellsing TV series, myself included. However, I was pissed off at how Air Gear ended (Didn't even end--it just stopped). Why aren't there laws banning such bad endings?

You think Air Gear was irrritating, try Tenjho Tenge - I still get fumed thinking about that one! And despite licensing and even dubbing it, Geneon still has not released on DVD the OVA that was suppose to give some semblance of a conclusion. Mad

Answerman wrote:
You have a creepy friend who writes erotic fanfiction about real people she interacts with in real life every day and another who skips class just to stare at someone.

God that is creepy.

I mean, really, creepy.

Really, really, really, really creepy.

Like "they'll use this as evidence in her eventual trial" creepy.

Like "might be stealing his hair and building a shrine to him in her bedroom" creepy.

Solution: make new friends.

Instant classic Answerman response! Laughing
Reynard82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:24 pm Reply with quote
My apologies if someone's already brought it up and I've missed it, but I can't believe that we've gone this far without mention of the sudden fainting girl yet. If there's a girl who's been out in the rain without suitable coverage, stayed up late studying/cooking/searching for someone or something/worrying/fawning, considered confessing or confessed their unrequited love, has a second personality/possession, or has a heretofore unmentioned illness, it's like a 50/50 shot that she's gonna hit the deck. The cast of Shuffle! is like a flock of those ridiculous fainting goats.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yeah, antagonise the crazy person, that couldn't possibly have any negative consequences.
I dunno. Sure, it's weird and a bit creepy, but you'd be surprised how many kids do things like that.

championferret wrote:
Aw, my submission about how much I despise Nymphomaniac Teachers didn't make it. Surely I'm not the only one?

Saywha'?
*checks dictionary just to make sure*
Y'know, I can't think of a single one. I see Mahoromatic and TUYBW mentioned, neither of which I've seen, and Eva, by someone who probably also needs to read the dictionary, but... that's like two.

Maybe you're just watching the wrong type of series? ^^;

abunai wrote:
I find it interesting that the first question seems to indicate that the person who submitted it thinks that Taiga, the female lead of ToraDora isn't moe.

Well, the whole moe thing has always been kinda murky. It's not that unusual for people to think that moe = characters like Misuzu.
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it natural for female anime fans to be overly obsessive? I have several friends in the anime-fandom at the moment that are almost scarily obsessive over their current crushes/guy friends. I think one of them has started ditching class to see (not even talk) to a guy during his lunch period, and one of my other friends is writing some sort of fantasy-anime-esque story in which she and the guy have sex at the end and have a child. I even mentioned to her that if I were a guy, I would probably find that a bit creepy. But I'm pretty sure she thinks that her entire life is right out of some manga or anime, and that everything ends up like Fushigi Yuugi or Ouran High School Host Club.

Are females in the anime-fandom naturally this obsessive? Or do I just have weird friends?

You have a creepy friend who writes erotic fanfiction about real people she interacts with in real life every day and another who skips class just to stare at someone.

God that is creepy.

I mean, really, creepy.

Really, really, really, really creepy.

Like "they'll use this as evidence in her eventual trial" creepy.

Like "might be stealing his hair and building a shrine to him in her bedroom" creepy.

This one veers into advice column territory ... which should be embraced fully, it'd take Hey Answerman! to new levels of awesomeness. Go on, Zac, you know you want to!
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:20 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
I'm sure Hana Yori Dango is actually one of the series that started this clichee, as it's already a classic today. But I'm not sure what you're trying to say. The first thing Tsukushi does is "declare war" against Domyoji and beat him up ... she certainly isn't a weak girl that simply puts up with a really obnoxious and annoying spoiled brat, nor with her annoying spoiled schoolmates. And at the beginning she actually likes Rui, who is quite the gentleman.
But there are other series that are really bad in that genre (Shinshi Doumei Cross comes to mind >< ).

Yes, I'm aware that it started that cliche which is why I don't find it as frustrating and generally enjoyed the series, and yes, tsukushi does stand up for herself, but the relationship is just obnoxious and abusive on both sides frankly. It got on my nerves by the end. And she does 'put up' with him even though he never really changed at all, which is why they stay together, because she was able to accept who he was. But I suppose it was not the best example, and there are far worse I'm sure.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
This probably already got corrected seventy times over the last four pages but I don't feel like looking.

Quote:
We've seen it in many mecha series, evangelion, gundam, rahxephon, anything with a super robot.

The first thing that EVA-01 does on the field o' battle during Shinji's first piloting job is fall on its face because Shinji doesn't know how to control it.

GAINAX worked really hard to make the robots in Evangelion realistic. This trope definitely does NOT apply to the series.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it natural for female anime fans to be overly obsessive?

What is all this about ANIME FANGIRLS?

It's not UNUSUAL for teen girls to obsess about stuff. Look at the screaming Beatlemaniacs of the '60's. John Lennon's marriage was kept secret for fear losing fans for all 4 not being eligible bachelors.

I always heard there were shades of this to the man who shot Lennon-that he'd signed his name as John Lennon prior to shooting the musician.

Realistically, while this IS stalking, it's a hell of a lot more healthy than fangirls & boys being obsessed with cartoon characters.

which also happen in all fan groups. I know I've read my share of fan stories for Dark Shadows & Star Trek where Male Lead falls passionately in love with Original to Fanfic Female/thinly-veiled stand-in for writer.

I had one instance where I was sitting by a college student in the sci-fi club I belonged to when she revealed her dream she had about The Man From Atlantis which was currently running at the time. I was still in High School myself, but I was mentally panicking over the details she was relating, wondering how scary she might really be.

The people being stalked don't have to be famous you know. They're just usually the only ones that make the national news, but stalking happens all the time.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
try Tenjho Tenge - I still get fumed thinking about that one! And despite licensing and even dubbing it, Geneon still has not released on DVD the OVA that was suppose to give some semblance of a conclusion. Mad

Ah, I KNEW it! My friend didn't believe me when I said there was an OVA, because he figure it would be released (I too was confused on that part). And it's already been dubbed? Come on, Geneon, you guys are "sorta" back in business, release it already!
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:

Y'know, I can't think of a single one. I see Mahoromatic and TUYBW mentioned, neither of which I've seen, and Eva, by someone who probably also needs to read the dictionary, but... that's like two.

I only mentioned Misato because she shares some of the characteristics of the nympho teacher - the flirting with young boys, the drinking, etc. But in no way do I consider her to be a nympho teacher character.
I can assure you sir, I do indeed know what the words 'nympho' and 'teacher' mean.
But now that you mention it, I'm starting to wonder if there are more. Even if it is just the two, the character type is irritating enough that one would hope they would never appear in anime ever again.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it natural for female anime fans to be overly obsessive? I have several friends in the anime-fandom at the moment that are almost scarily obsessive over their current crushes/guy friends. I think one of them has started ditching class to see (not even talk) to a guy during his lunch period, and one of my other friends is writing some sort of fantasy-anime-esque story in which she and the guy have sex at the end and have a child. I even mentioned to her that if I were a guy, I would probably find that a bit creepy. But I'm pretty sure she thinks that her entire life is right out of some manga or anime, and that everything ends up like Fushigi Yuugi or Ouran High School Host Club.

Seriously Zac, you get some bizare questions. Skipping lunch just to look at a guy isn't normal, and will eventually lead to trouble somehow. The other girl is a whole diffrent story. Eventually she will probably begin to stalk the guy and if he rejects her, there is a possibility she will become unstable.

I highly recomend that the parents of these kids send them to either a shrink or take them to a doctor. Long ago I had a friend who had diffrent type of problems, but eventually had to be hospitalized for half a year and took a additional six months to recover as well.

I suggest the guy make new friends and quickly distance himself or talk to the parents of these girls about what has been going on and try to make them get help.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
This post is kind of scattered.

Neil Ford wrote:
I'm sure you're bored of complaints about bad anime endings; the thing that really annoys me is Fudged Mystical Endings. You know, where there's some sort of plot-solving magical transformation, that doesn't really make sense in terms of the story so far. [...] Last Exile - spoiler[they find what seems to be an ancient spaceship (the "exile"),] and then... I don't know, what DOES happen? Then there's Rahxephon, Scrapped Princess, Texhnolyze, and of course EVA, plus probably some others I've forgotten. (Oh, Lain, of course, but that's a "special" case.)

i.e. "I don't want to bother to actually think."

None of those series have endings that are in conflicts with what's happened before. Everything is foreshadowed in some way or another. Visual clues are used, and there's A LOT of implied evidence for other elements that aren't directly answered (or spoon-fed, in the case of other anime).

If the ending of a story makes thematic and narrative sense but the viewer doesn't understand this, then it is not the fault of the writers', but the viewer.

As for the last anime series I saw that reminded me why I'm still a fan... well, Mononoke and Baccano! are two of the most unique and successful anime IN YEARS. They and other series (Shigurui, Moribito, Ghost Hound, and even a slight disappointment in the form of Denno Coil) pretty much made 2007 the most creatively interesting year of anime since 2003.

Zac wrote:
If they'd waited to produce Berserk, we'd probably have a show that ran 3-4 seasons instead of just one that ended on a cliffhanger that went nowhere.

Yeah, but I can only think of one possible ending point post-Eclipse in the manga, and even that would have fans clambering for more.

People just need to read the manga. It's far more expansive and interesting, plus the art is some of the best in comics.

As for fangirls, I've encountered some obsessive yaoi fans, but nothing as drastic and mentally unstable as the stalker described here.
san-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
"In Chobits, Chi does a Pinocchio and turns into a real girl at the end, but this kind of invalidates the issue the show was previously addressing, which is how people emotionally relate to Artificial Intelligences."

For the first I'd like to clarify to you that the Chobits anime has a very different ending compared to the manga. But I can assure you that she doesn't become a real girl in either version.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear Zac likes Jurassic Park, both the movie and book, because I love both versions of this story to death.

I totally agree with Neil Ford about Last Exile's ending, along with it being a rushed and artficial happy ending
eviltimes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood +

Before that would be Texhnolyze, Ergo Proxy and back to GITS SAC.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
If it hasn't been mentioned already, I'd say that Vision of Escaflowne is another great series where the manga and anime are different, but both are good in their own right. They both use roughly the same over-all plot, but really change about how its brought out. (My understanding is that the manga was made after the anime.)

Trigun can fall in there, too; Trigun Maximum follows the anime for a bit, though moving around certain events, but eventually deviates wildly from the anime. Not sure which came first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7