• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Librarian Fined for Promoting Daughter's OEL Manga

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Why does Macbeth look like Hellsing's Father Anderson?
Agoston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, poor guy and his daughter, I think no matter how much he promotes it no one is gonna buy a book that looks like that either way.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Brutal consequences there Confused
Juhachi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Hey, it's good PR, right? Maybe the guy did it on purpose to get some free advertisement of the book in the freaking NY Times. Laughing
Agoston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Juhachi wrote:
Hey, it's good PR, right? Maybe the guy did it on purpose to get some free advertisement of the book in the freaking NY Times. Laughing
That's an interesting view, but I'm not sure if the NY Times would bother with stuff like this.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I have the Hamlet ed. and these are pretty good quality for Shakespeare adaptions........ these are usually shelved in the Shakespeare sections of bookstores btw

It's too bad for the librarian- he was proud of his daughter, and wanted to help her promote her work. They should have some kind of way, even a small one, for personal stuff like this.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
so this is wrong but the NYC city councle waving their own term limits isn't?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like they're trying to apply a broad interpretation of the law to an isolated circumstance, in order to shake the guy down for a "donation".
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I too feel a bit bad for the father, and -although it seems he should have known better- it is understandable that he wants to promote a book his daughter worked on.

BTW, I like this version of 'Macbeth', and the version of 'Hamlet' by the same publisher. The text is edited but not paraphrased, and the illustrations make reading it a different experience from just reading the play. I found it in the manga section and bought it on a whim - it may be a nice introduction for someone who otherwise might not pick up a Shakespeare play. (..or for lazy students who can read it quickly..) Rolling Eyes
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
My first thought was, "dang it, isn't there a place in society for being proud of your family anymore?" But then I read the article, and the WAY he promoted this manga, calling it the best book ever written, went over the top.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
My first thought was, "dang it, isn't there a place in society for being proud of your family anymore?" But then I read the article, and the WAY he promoted this manga, calling it the best book ever written, went over the top.

It's in the same category as all those disclaimers that various contests (say McDonald's Monopoly) isn't open to family members of employees since should they win, some might protest the family member had unfair access to the game pieces, etc.

Most places frown on nepotism. If dad wanted to be proud, he could have made a web page promoting it.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Agoston wrote:
That's an interesting view, but I'm not sure if the NY Times would bother with stuff like this.

They already did. This ANN news article's source is the NY Times.

Anyway, light offense, light punishment. A $500 fine isn't exactly very harsh on the punishment scale. Nor is promoting a family member's work in that manner very tasteful. If I can get a $400 ticket for speeding on the freeway at 2 AM when I'm literally the only one on the road except for the cop who caught me, this doesn't seem like anything unfair or out of the ordinary.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I have the Hamlet ed. and these are pretty good quality for Shakespeare adaptions........ these are usually shelved in the Shakespeare sections of bookstores btw

It's too bad for the librarian- he was proud of his daughter, and wanted to help her promote her work. They should have some kind of way, even a small one, for personal stuff like this.

If you do a exception for one person, there would have to be a exception for everyone else though. Though what the father did was wrong and he should have known better, he should be glad he got a light sentence.

Just because this is his daughter doesn't justify anything. Shamelessly advertising work, when the work isn't allowed to be advertised isn't a way to get on the higher ups good side.

Something tells me the board won't be as nice if he does this a second time, he could even lose his job and have this incident permently written on his records. On a side note, that is one creepy looking manga. What is that, Hellsing or Mcbeth? Also, calling this the "best written story" is way too exaggerated.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
Lulz...
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
LOL @ him calling it the best book ever written.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3