• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Wife Arrested for Selling Ponyo DVD Copies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
3 copies? was this really newsworthy?
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

People "summon" movies online while they're in theaters or even before they even premiere all the time nowadays, so I doubt this is really newsworthy. (DISCLAIMER: I, AirCooledMan_2006, do not endorse or condone bootlegging anime.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

The fact that a 36-year-old housewife was arrested for selling only three copies is precisely what is newsworthy. The Japanese police have arrested people for selling far more copies in the past — but now, making only three copies for only 1,500 yen is enough to be arrested.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Well, that was pretty stupid of her for many reasons, but part of file sharing is sharing for free. She didn't understand that, so just was served.

Speaking of which, these are the people that companies need to keep their eyes on. People making money of their property, selling on the streets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
The real question is how the raws got out, camrips?
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
Now she has to ask herself if that $15 is going to cover the lawyer she's going to need. I don't think it will lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Japanese Wife Arrested

Are we going to start seeing married men who features in ANN news articles refered to as "Japanese husband"? Rolling Eyes
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:03 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Quote:
Japanese Wife Arrested

Are we going to start seeing married men who features in ANN news articles referred to as "Japanese husband"? Rolling Eyes

I'm looking forward to the article titled, "Japanese Person in Japan Found Speaking Japanese."
Hard to say exactly what that title is implying. Perhaps we are to assume that all married individuals are somehow supposed to be more immune to this sort of idiocy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:
The real question is how the raws got out, camrips?
Camrips have been out for a while.I saw it two or three months ago.Almost DVD quality.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Leon Evolon wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:
Quote:
Japanese Wife Arrested

Are we going to start seeing married men who features in ANN news articles referred to as "Japanese husband"? Rolling Eyes

I'm looking forward to the article titled, "Japanese Person in Japan Found Speaking Japanese."
Hard to say exactly what that title is implying. Perhaps we are to assume that all married individuals are somehow supposed to be more immune to this sort of idiocy.

Maybe a single female wouldn't have gotten caught. Laughing

Either way I bet the police are just patting themselves on the back for arresting someone who only sold 3 DVDs online. Smallfries don't usually make the headlines or receive the punishment that make headlines.

Poor lady. I hope she gets a good lawyer.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
It's amazing how quickly these things get out there... I was once on an IRC channel chatting about movies, and talking about going to see a new movie that was opening the next day. 15 minutes later, someone streamed the movie to me. The day BEFORE it opened in theaters. It was in near DVD quality. I was dumbfounded. BUT it was much better watching it in the theater - on the big screen - with an audience and the great sound.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
It's amazing how quickly these things get out there... I was once on an IRC channel chatting about movies, and talking about going to see a new movie that was opening the next day. 15 minutes later, someone streamed the movie to me. The day BEFORE it opened in theaters. It was in near DVD quality. I was dumbfounded. BUT it was much better watching it in the theater - on the big screen - with an audience and the great sound.

I'm not really sure how they do it, but some people seem to have a knack for finding leaked content.
(Also, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...)

On a more related note.
This is... different.

I don't think the "wife" thing is implying anything. A bit weird we really aren't seeing "husband" in newspapers but the "Japanese" thing I get.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
Story states she was a "housewife" -- valid description imho. Presumably that was shortened to "Wife" for the headline.

A fine would be understandable, but arresting her over bootlegging $15 worth of merchandise seems like a waste of police time, if nothing else.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
v1cious wrote:

The fact that a 36-year-old housewife was arrested for selling only three copies is precisely what is newsworthy. The Japanese police have arrested people for selling far more copies in the past — but now, making only three copies for only 1,500 yen is enough to be arrested.

I feel as though they are using her as an example like with the whole music industry thing. Hoping to scare away people from going down this road. Which isn't going work in the long run.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Actually, this is quite amusing. But it also means this "Japanese wife" was also tech savvy. Can you ask for anything more than that from your wife?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2