• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - The Legend of Sirius

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eruanna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh hooray! Excellent, I love this film. Nice to see it get some recognition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Flaed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I watched some of the trailer for this, and it is absolutely beautiful - it reminds me of the "Nutcracker Suite" segment of Fantasia more than anything. It's very light and delicate. (It also reminded me of how much I miss cel animation. Confused)

Anyway, I think I'll have to track this video tape down, as it certainly seems worth owning for the animation alone, and the story sounds really good, too. And my VHS player is lonely.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
A typo: "eternam" for "eternal".
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
A typo: "eternam" for "eternal".

Fixed, thanks. Hope you enjoyed the other words. Smile
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a job for live-evil!
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

There seems to be two different subbed versions available, one released this year and another one in 2007. Dunno which one has the better subs (or if they're the same thing).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:02 am Reply with quote
Fire & Ice! Laughing

Fronzel wrote:

Well, there's a rep who visits here from time to time. Wink
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:18 am Reply with quote
Business was Serius back then.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
As I check the description of my review of Sea Prince and the Fire Child from last year, at the time I provided a link to a high quality dual-audio encode as a "screw you" to all the eBay and comicbook convention bootleggers out there. My description notes that it's a DVD rip of the Region 2 release, though there were soft English subtitles provided in the file. I can't actually re-listen to my review from here at work, but I vaguely recall pointing out that the subtitle script felt noticeably off in spite of the fact that I speak and understand no Japanese whatsoever.

Now that Sea Prince and the Fire Child has been brought up, does that mean we should look forward to Ringing Bell and Unico in the near future? I actually thought they'd already been covered ages ago, but as I check the Buried Treasure archives I must have just imagined it.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
This is one of those movies where I'd stumble across the name every so often and be curious about it, but could never be sure I'd found the right movie checking for it online. Now I have a reference point! Yay! Very Happy

On a whim, I looked up Unico on Amazon too- the first hit is for a Unico toy. The next 2 are for men's underwear. Confused
Umai_Mouri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quote
Uwa~ It looks wonderful.
I need to watch this. *_*
ScottGreen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
Hopefully not to derail this thread too much, but a company called New Galaxy Anime was supposed distribute "family-friendly fare, particularly of the shoujo genre" starting with Unico.

They announced their plans in late October '07, but haven't been heard from since. I've been trying to track down what happened without any luck.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
But more important is its story, an inspired fantasy riff on Romeo & Juliet that makes brilliant use of its surroundings and challenges the viewer's imagination. It also pulls no punches: characters die, and while the ending makes it clear that Shakesphere's tragic finalé may not be so final in this incarnation, it only barely serves to cushion the dramatic blow we just witnessed.

By this description I'd be hesitant to refer to this as childrens' animation by the definition I like to use, but that may well be due to my upbringing watching certain Disney films.
If a kids' film which ends without shielding the young viewers from distress is to be considered typical for Japanese productions aimed at pre-teenage audiences however, then I need to modify my definitions.
Regardless, the fact that this sort of thing seems aimed primarily at children without sugaring things towards the end (unless I've interpreted this summary incorrectly) is one of the reasons I fell in love with anime in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
ScottGreen wrote:
Hopefully not to derail this thread too much, but a company called New Galaxy Anime was supposed distribute "family-friendly fare, particularly of the shoujo genre" starting with Unico.

They announced their plans in late October '07, but haven't been heard from since. I've been trying to track down what happened without any luck.

Their Web site:

http://www.newgalaxyanime.com/

Not that there have seem to have been any changes since it went up...
aluria

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
There is someone who's uploaded the entire movie on youtube, dub version though.

Watched the trailer and the movie looks absolutely stunning, have to find some time to sit down and watch the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3