• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bo-bobo's Sawai Ends Chagecha Manga after 8 Issues

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
What, did Sawai try to incorporate plot and character development AGAIN? Should have learned from his failure the first time, amirite?
wangyamaki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Wink it ends already-he sould of known from the first anime bo-bo-bo coro coro manga.Its a waste of time reading and its just for gags and a waste of cash all for noting.

But then again it was better than watching Cartoon networks cartoons (which we dont)-so kudos to bo-bobo and RIP Chagecha manga.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
So that's 2 manga titles that are left incomplete by Sawai?

Maybe he should consider retiring...
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
What? That's bull! I was starting to like Chagecha! But why did the manga fail so hard? I mean, at least Gun Blaze West went on for at least 3 volumes, and that was one of the biggest blunders Jump ever saw.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, the thing about BoBoBo was, it's hilarious to begin, but its humor gets annoying after a while. Then it gets really, really, REALLY annoying after a longer while. My guess is that people picked up the new series, saw the same kind of thing BoBoBo was, found the change of scenery didn't make the humor fresh again, and trashed it. That, or the publisher didn't want to do it and scuttled it. Or the ARTIST didn't want to do it and deliberately sabotaged it so the publisher would let him write the story he wanted to instead. Or... hmm, well I guess I don't really know what happened.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
He might need to seriously consider what he is going to do now. That is just way too quick to end a series like that. Of course, his style of humor might be going down the drain with readers.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
You can't just keep serving up gibberish all the time. It has a pretty short shelf life.

Man, if that's really all he can do, I feel pretty sorry for the guy.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
I don't think his artstyle is that bad, so maybe his editor should consider pairing him with a scriptwriter and just have Sawai draw it, similar to how Takeshi Obata works.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Chagecha had just begun on September 13, but readers noted that Chagecha quickly moved from the front half of the magazine to the back half. A manga titles's position in a magazine's pages is often an indication of its relative popularity among the other titles.

Interesting.
A lot of the shojo & yaoi zines I get seems to rotate the positions regularly. The front story gets more color pages so if the same story led off every month, the artist would be required to do more every month. I've seen Loveless & Saiyuki all over Zero-Sum & Tsumikabatsu seems to move all over Jump Squared. Wild Adapter & Crimson Spell have been in the back of Chara more than once.

Whatever happened with this one has nothing really to do with whether one liked Bobobo or not since it's a different story. Comedy is very hard to write. Maybe he needs to move to a different zine than Jump. Look at how sporatic Young King Ours allows authors to produce stuff, although I assume there's also a dif in pay
baltered

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
That's really weird. Could it really have been canceled this soon due to lack of popularity? Any avid manga reader should know that less than 8 weekly chapters is rarely enough for a gag series to get its flow going. You'd think they would give it at least a few months after Bo-bobo was such a hit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1