• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: USA Today Booklist, October 27-November 2: Naruto 32

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow, only 123rd I did not expect that after the last volume had its best debut ever. And this comes after VIZ said they were going to publish 11 volumes in 3 months. I do hope that this is not a bad omen or anything.
brightredglow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
We are in the middle of an economic crisis so it does not surprise me that graphic novels are taking a hit because everything is taking a hit. (Heck, GM announced today that they are running out of money.)

So times are rough and money is tight. It isn't that interest is low. It is simply that consumers don't have the extra money to spare.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
brightredglow wrote:
We are in the middle of an economic crisis so it does not surprise me that graphic novels are taking a hit because everything is taking a hit. (Heck, GM announced today that they are running out of money.)

So times are rough and money is tight. It isn't that interest is low. It is simply that consumers don't have the extra money to spare.

Ah yes, that is all very true. I guess that just means sales will be slow until we can get out of the rut.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
brightredglow wrote:

If everything is taking a hit, then wouldn't all the books slide down together, so the relative rankings should stay the same? Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
The economy is having an impact on everybody's sales nowadays, even my first job gave no hours last week. My second job is also struggling as well. Businesses are closing everywhere, so it's not real surprising to see that the volume has only made it that far on the list. I think though, that it will climb, but we won't be seeing the spectacular performances that we saw with the last volume.
Nei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

If everything is taking a hit, then wouldn't all the books slide down together, so the relative rankings should stay the same? Laughing

Book sales are down overall, but there's still a bigger market share for bestsellers in fiction. Manga (and graphic novels period) are sitll a niche market. On a side note, I haven't been following the manga, but I also wonder if there was a point in the story arc that encouraged such a high pruchased point and, now that that part of the story is past, sales dropped in tandem.

Another reason the stores probably haven't ordered as much manga for the holiday season is B&N is closing mass numbers of its B. Dalton Booksellers. I've also heard Borders is closing affiliate stores but I can't vouch for that. I worked briefly for the B. Dalton in my mall a couple of years ago and knew then the store would be closed eventually. All the following comes from my store's manager. Apparently B&N is closing all B. Dalton stores within a five-mile radius of a free-standing B&N. For my state of Ohio, for example, that means all B Dalton's are closing except two. And they're closing after Christmas. They've already stopped ordering books for their stores. Only books sent by publishers are being received.

Nei
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
brightredglow wrote:

This isn't remarkable news, nor is its highest rank on the list.

Naruto makes USA Today's 150 bestseller list in a tragic economic era .. wow, while the mature essential market of the economy is slowed, there will always be children not having to worry about it, and instead indulging in rich fantasies.

Big deal. There's nothing remarkable about this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1