• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DiCaprio is Producing Akira, Ninja Scroll, Not Acting in Them

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panda Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they wont be as bad as I expected if he is just directing. I guess we will have to wait and see.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Call me again when they decide to produce the live-action Kodomo no Jikan film.

AKIRA and Ninja Scroll are about as mainstream as you can get in this field of entertainment. Same goes with Cowboy Bebop and GitS and all the other pieces of trash that will put out next year.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm really hoping that they do a good job with these because I'd love to see a well-made live-action Ninja Scroll.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm really hoping that they do a good job with these because I'd love to see a well-made live-action Ninja Scroll.

No doubt it will be hokey and not anywhere near as graphic. I'm still more interested in how they handle Akira. I doubt they'll even come close to referencing the idea of drugs though, since the target audience of these films probably still includes teenagers under 18.
Da Games Elite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm optimistic about Akira. That script review they had on what had to be one of the earlier drafts was positive. Said the only fault was that it was incredibly similar to the original manga. I have faith.

Besides, the guy was involved in a few R movies that were pretty violent. I don't think he'd just water it down too much.
michelous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
akira would make a cool movie hopefully these will be better than dragon ball
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm still more interested in how they handle Akira. I doubt they'll even come close to referencing the idea of drugs though, since the target audience of these films probably still includes teenagers under 18.

Are you possibly suggesting that Leo is afraid of an R rating and cares about being teen-friendly?

... Are you SERIOUS?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He also emphasized that he is producing in these two projects, and that he does "not really" have any interest in acting in them.

He's not really fit for the part in Ninja Scroll-unless maybe he wants to be that Zatoichi-guy; but then his hair probably becomes a mullet when it's too long. Laughing

Quote:
I'm a big fan of Japanese anime

I could buy it more, if he did more genre films. Perhaps he's been "in the closet" in another way all this time? Wink

walw:
Quote:

Isn't that Hounddog? Wink

minaki: It might not be Leo who's afraid of the R-rating.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Leo's an anime fan? It'd be nice if ANN could secure an interview with him just so we could get some perspective on just how much of an anime fan he is. Like what was the most recent anime he's watched. If he ain't watched anything beyond 1995, there might not be any hope for him being ONE OF US. But if he's seen more recent stuff like Death Note or even Evangelion(some people are really out of touch), then we could be in good hands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maichips

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Leo's an anime fan? It'd be nice if ANN could secure an interview with him just so we could get some perspective on just how much of an anime fan he is. Like what was the most recent anime he's watched. If he ain't watched anything beyond 1995, there might not be any hope for him being ONE OF US. But if he's seen more recent stuff like Death Note or even Evangelion(some people are really out of touch), then we could be in good hands.

I agree. If ANN interviewed him, we might get some insight into what sort of anime he likes and such.

However, I don't think it really matters whether he's in to newer titles or not. Old school anime is something that needs a little more acknowledgment. I think it'd be great if newer anime fans (myself included Anime smile + sweatdrop ) could develop an interest in the forebears of the wonderful medium that is anime.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
Maybe they wont be as bad as I expected if he is just directing. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Producing isn't the same as directing.
FWNW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Scroll with American ninja? Or the alternative: Ninja Scroll with Japanese Ninja speaking English in Feudal Japan.

Both ideas suck, but they'll have to go with one or the other. So in other words, the idea... SUCKS!

Anime live-action adaptations will soon become as great a trend as comic book adaptations have.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Why would they? (It's like when someone says they could belch the whole alphabet.) Laughing
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

No doubt it will be hokey and not anywhere near as graphic. I'm still more interested in how they handle Akira. I doubt they'll even come close to referencing the idea of drugs though, since the target audience of these films probably still includes teenagers under 18.

Are you serious? Have you been living in a box? Leo isn't on Growing Pains and doing movies like Titanic anymore. Most of the movies he has been invovled with recently (for a while actually) have been R rated for things such as violence (gang and not), drugs, sex, and language. I highly doubt he will be limiting himself to a below R rating, especially when he seems so concerned with keeping close to the source material.

Besides, it's almost downright impossible to make either Akira or Ninja Scroll less violent or drug happy without seriously killing the main attractions.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
FWNW wrote:
Ninja Scroll with American ninja? Or the alternative: Ninja Scroll with Japanese Ninja speaking English in Feudal Japan.

Both ideas suck, but they'll have to go with one or the other. So in other words, the idea... SUCKS!

Anime live-action adaptations will soon become as great a trend as comic book adaptations have.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Alas I fathom it will be those of the opposite opinion at whom these projects are aimed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6