• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Anime Films Submitted for Possible Oscar Nominations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
Another year when the contest is over before it even started. Although it really would be something if Waltz with Bashir won - or hell, even got nominated!

Last edited by CorneredAngel on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
Likely the three nominees will be Wall-E, Kung Fu Panda and Madagascar 2.

Only seen Sword of the Stranger, which was pretty good. Not familiar with The Sky Crawlers. Anyone gimme some thoughts on it?

Wonder why Appleseed: Ex Machina wasn't nominated as well? It was pretty cool.
JINROH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Another year when the contest is over before it even started. Although it really would be something of Waltz with Bashir won - or hell, even got nominated!

Aint that the truth.Bashir would be nice,but I'd like to see Stranja win.
Splash

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
I'd loveeee to see Sword of the Stranger get put on the top three, but sadly I won't be surprised if it's as lord_darkseid says. Americans love their 3D studios and hollywood stars... not to say that I didn't love those movies (at least Wall-E), but I'd just squee more if something like Stranger would get more of the exposure it deserves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
I did really enjoy Sword of the Stranger but WALL-E is just the better film. I wouldn't mind seeing Sword of the Stranger nominated but I think WALL-E deserves to win the award.

It's too bad The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is not up for consideration (I guess it isn't eligible because it is older) because that is the strongest anime film to come out in awhile IMO and if I think anything is worthy to compete against WALL-E it's that film.

I haven't seen Sky Crawlers yet but it sounds really interesting.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
WALL-E is the only mainstream title out of the group that deserves the win, and I'm sure it's going to get it. Horton Hears a Who I could see being nominated, but not Kung Fu Panda or Madagascar 2.

I haven't seen Sky Crawlers or Sword of the Stranger, but I'm keen on seeing both in their impending DVD releases. I get the feeling that neither are quite Oscar worthy; maybe nominations, though.

It is a shame that The Girl Who Leapt Through Time didn't qualify though. That would've been considerable competition for WALL-E.
valondar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Another year when the contest is over before it even started. Although it really would be something if Waltz with Bashir won - or hell, even got nominated!

Nominated maybe. No way in hell it'll win with Wall-E's steamroller of a success, though. Persepolis/Ratatouille, rinse and repeat.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
I hope Sword of the Stranger gets nominated. Yeah, I agree that Wall-E is going to win.
Chicken008

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
What, no Girl that leapt through time? fail! First Paprika, now this..Sad
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
If there's a Pixar film in the lineup, this contest is already over. I personally felt Wall-E was too long and I don't have any particular interest in seeing it again, but it was cute and visually spectacular. If there's one thing Pixar knows how to do consistently right, it's to produce a movie that looks fabulous.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
All i know is, if Igor gets nominated I'll eat a brick

I really thought in 2005 that Howl's Moving Castle should have won the award over Wallace and Gromit, but it seems, like most americans the academy can only focus on the how good the animation looks, not how good the storytelling is.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I really thought last year that Howl's Moving Castle should have won the award over Wallace and Gromit, but it seems, like most americans the academy can only focus on the how good the animation looks, not how good the storytelling is.

I would agree with you had that movie made some sense in its second half. However, I think Wallace and Gromit was a great film and Aardman and co. deserved their win for all their hard work and effort.

Next year, WALL-E will most likely get the Oscar if the first 40 minutes of that film mean anything to the Academy.
halo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Chicken008 wrote:
What, no Girl that leapt through time? fail! First Paprika, now this..Sad

It's not eligible because it ran in Japan in 2006.

animehermit wrote:
All i know is, if Igor gets nominated I'll eat a brick
I really thought in 2005 that Howl's Moving Castle should have won the award over Wallace and Gromit, but it seems, like most americans the academy can only focus on the how good the animation looks, not how good the storytelling is.

I think it was the fact that Miyazaki had previously won with Spirited Away and Nick Park had yet to be honored. Plus, Howl's Moving Castle wasn't that good either.
Jacut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
valondar wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:

Nominated maybe. No way in hell it'll win with Wall-E's steamroller of a success, though. Persepolis/Ratatouille, rinse and repeat.

Waltz With Bashir deserves to win, it's by far the best film out of these 14. I just hope that WALL-E won't get it, it was a very average film, and for me even Kung Fu Panda was better (not that I particularly like either of the two though, but KFP had more heart and animation was more consistent).

animehermit wrote:

I think it was the fact that Miyazaki had previously won with Spirited Away and Nick Park had yet to be honored. Plus, Howl's Moving Castle wasn't that good either.[/quote]

Well, Chihiro wasn't that good either and still won, all thanks to the "we want to award the best japanese animation director that made such a huge it on the box office" feeling. For me, they gave Chihiro this Oscar more for Miyazaki's lifetime's achievement than for this particular movie which is one of the weakest of the master (with Howl I agree).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
halo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Well, Chihiro wasn't that good either and still won, all thanks to the "we want to award the best japanese animation director that made such a huge it on the box office" feeling. For me, they gave Chihiro this Oscar more for Miyazaki's lifetime's achievement than for this particular movie which is one of the weakest of the master (with Howl I agree).

No disagreement here. The Academy Awards is as much Hollywood marketing, politics and butt-kissing as it is judging each work by it's own merits. Miyazaki was due an award and he got it. Pixar makes consistently decent films that get lots of people into theaters and the Academy likes to reward that kind of stuff too. There are lots of reasons some films might seem less qualified but get nominated or even win.

I haven't seen Waltz With Bashir but to me it looks like the only one that has anything really to distinguish itself from the crowd. I haven't seen Sky Crawlers either but Sword of the Stranger was mediocre at best. I don't think it will be any grave injustice if it fails to get nominated, though it probably does deserve it more than most on the list since it was fairly well animated at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5