• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Anime Films Submitted for Possible Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valondar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:

Waltz With Bashir deserves to win,

Glad to hear it. Liked the look from the trailers, I'll be seeing it in theatres later this week. Looking forward to whenever they release Sky Crawlers, too, on a rather more anime-related note. I rather like Oshii so it'd be nice to see him nominated for a nomination.

I think this is definitely Wall-E's year, though. I thought it was a good film so it'd be a fine choice to win - essentially how I felt about Ratatouille.
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm just surprised Paramount bothered to submit Fly Me To The Moon. I guess they didn't want to look lazy or... something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, less than 16 films submitted for just 3 nominations again? Confused

WALL-E is the runaway favorite. It got one of the highest 96% TomatoMeter rating and is considered well enough to be submitted for Best Picture even. Heck, it would have given Miyazaki's Ponyo on the Cliff a run for its money had that been in the contest.

The 2nd nomination will most likely be Kung Fu Panda, which was well-received by the critics too and even prompted soul-searching withiin China, where pandas are national treasure. Imagine the live-action Akira doing that to the Japanese!

The 3rd nomination is a toss up. The Academy animation committee could go with the usual another box-office hit or go for the token avant-garde title.

I guess Tokikake (The Girl who Leapt thru Time) really isn't eligible anymore since it was not submitted yet again.

Hexon.Arq wrote:
I'm just surprised Paramount bothered to submit Fly Me To The Moon. I guess they didn't want to look lazy or... something.

People are glad (and animation studios too) when any eligible animated film is submitted just to reach the magic number 16 and open the nominations up to 5 (they're not required to nominate 4 or 5 though; it's just open) - thus possibly getting more films the spotlight.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Angel: Don't give up. The Academy might be getting bored with Pixar films looking the same. I know that's the case with general audiences. Anyway, I'm just glad this gives me the opportunity to catch Skycrawlers early. [I only hope it don't play at some out-of-the-way place like Paprika...] Plus, I'm still hoping for some love from the Annies.

As for "pollution and consumerism are bad, except for wall of merchandise-e", well, it just seems like another pointless, but "visually rewarding" journey flick from Pixar.

Chicken: I feel for ya, buddy. It was the one film which had a chance to break the CG monopoly, so it really sucks that it didn't make it.

halo: But it played here last year. And Nick Park got honored for Best Short.

Jacut: I doubt most of them even knew who Miyazaki was before seeing Spirited Away. And that sucker didn't even get the major push of its competitors.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Wall-E will win, of course. No real complaint from me. Great film, etc.

The other two I saw were Horton and Kung Fu Panda. Kung Fu is funner and better than I was expecting... though not really Oscar-worthy, especially not with a Pixar in the running. Horton was fantastic as well... I remember being totally blown away in the theater. If it wasn't for ye olde Pixar I think it would end up being the winner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll agree the conclusion is going to be somewhat predictable. There's no point in me rooting for TSC at all. I never hold any interest in the Oscars anyway.

halo wrote:
I think it was the fact that Miyazaki had previously won with Spirited Away and Nick Park had yet to be honored. Plus, Howl's Moving Castle wasn't that good either.

Nick Park already had three Oscars under his belt by 2005. Wallace and Gromit lost part of its quaint and surreal soul in order to appeal a more general Hollywood audience, but I still prefer it to Miyazaki's films.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Zin: From what I heard, Park had a falling out with DW, which is why that last Wallace and Gromitt film wasn't noteworthy.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
There's an outside chance WALL-E won't win, but that's only if it is also nominated for and wins Best Picture. Which is kind of a long shot.

Kung Fu Panda will almost certainly take one of the nominations.

Despereaux is probably most likely to take the third slot, assuming it turns out even slightly good, though I can see it being given to Waltz for Bashir (the Oscars like the whole "token obscure nomination to gain credibility" thing).
Chicken008

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Chicken008 wrote:
What, no Girl that leapt through time? fail! First Paprika, now this..Sad

It's not eligible because it ran in Japan in 2006.
I'm sure that doesn't matter, its when it runs in American theatres..(Spirited Away won when it aired in 2002, not 2001 when it aired in Japan, same with Sword of the Stranger, it aired last year in Japan.)
DFBTG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly the only film I've seen out of those listed is Sword of a Stranger...which I don't think will be in the top 3 and certainly won't win. It's a decent film, but that's about all. My bet is on Wall-E. If not that, then Kung Fu Panda. But I suppose that's just random guessing.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Chicken008 wrote:
halo wrote:
Chicken008 wrote:
What, no Girl that leapt through time? fail! First Paprika, now this..:(

It's not eligible because it ran in Japan in 2006.
I'm sure that doesn't matter, its when it runs in American theatres..(Spirited Away won when it aired in 2002, not 2001 when it aired in Japan, same with Sword of the Stranger, it aired last year in Japan.)

It has to play a minimum number of screenings in Los Angeles by the end of the calendar year following the release in its original country for it to be eligible, meaning The Girl Who Leapt Through Time would have to have had L.A. screenings by the end of 2007 to be nominated for the BAF Oscar that Ratatouille won.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: It did play in L.A. last year, though.
bugmenot2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The Sky Crawlers may have had a chance if there were five films in competition, but there's no way it can be nominated now. WALL-E, Waltz With Bashir are shoe-ins.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zin: From what I heard, Park had a falling out with DW, which is why that last Wallace and Gromitt film wasn't noteworthy.

The falling out between Aardman and Dreamworks wasn't until Flushed Away was in production, actually.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tenchi: It did play in L.A. last year, though.

To be eligible for the upcoming Oscars, a film has to had been released last year in its origin country then has to be screened for a week in L.A. this year 2008.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5