• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Anime Films Submitted for Possible Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol: I have a feeling its success managed to at least keep it going until the New Year of '07, if nothing more, if this link is any indication.
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen several of the films mentioned, but I think there's no beating Wall-E this year. It's too bad Sword of the Stranger had to go up against it, as Stranger is absolutely fantastic and I think would do well with an American audience with some more exposure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FanFicGuru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
I saw a screening of Sword of the Stranger this year at Fanime. It was really good. Granted, I am 99% sure that Wall-E is going to take the award this year, but to make it to the top 3 isn't TOO out of the question.

Really slick animation, good storytelling and cool characters make it an overall hit imo. If you haven't had a chance to check it out, I would highly recommend you do so.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Well, Chihiro wasn't that good either and still won, all thanks to the "we want to award the best japanese animation director that made such a huge it on the box office" feeling. For me, they gave Chihiro this Oscar more for Miyazaki's lifetime's achievement than for this particular movie which is one of the weakest of the master (with Howl I agree).

Oh, come on; are you honestly trying to tell me that Spirited Away was not flat-out better than any of its competition that year? Who should have won it that year, then, Ice Age? Please. It was fun, but not exceptionally good. Same with Lilo and Stitch, and the other two - Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and Treasure Planet - were hardly worth considering. Even if you acknowledge that SA isn't Miyazaki's best work (and I whole-heartedly disagree that it's one of his worst), it was still far and away the best candidate in a generally weak year.

As for this year, I can't see Wall-E being beat. It got very strong critical reviews, and I walked out of the theater fully convinced that nothing this year would even seriously challenge it as the front-runner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Aww No nomination for The Girl? I'm so disappointed that is a fantastic movie, something that I think could very likely have strongly rivaled Wall-E. I haven't seen any of the other potential nominees (and I don't intend to watch any of the American nominees). Sadly enough I think the other nominees this year will be Madagascar 2 and Kung Fu Panda. No doubt Wall-E is a shoe in for a nomination, Wall-E was the only decent one of the bunch.
groente12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
sword of the stranger is too general, but sky crawler has a chance to be nominated, i know that wall e is going to win a oscar, but am i the only one who is thinking that wall e sucks??
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
Key: I think the "keep churning them out every year" strategy Pixar borrowed from Disney might take its toll eventually. Cars didn't win any Academy award, after all... And Wall-E wasn't even the biggest animated hit this year. But yeah, if Tokikake was up against it, there'd definitely be a real fight. Who knows, though? Maybe if Sony doesn't eff up the theatrical release of Sky Crawlers like they did with Paprika...

Edit: D'oh! Only 6.4 for SC @ IMDB...
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
Talked about this on LJ. Learned that Warners never submitted Appleseed EM for consideration, choosing to only focus on their own projects instead. Sad

Seems to be a lot of support for Horton Hears a Who. Hmm.

Waiting With Bashir.... seems to have a lot of support here. Somebody give me a line on that?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:20 am Reply with quote
lord: Appleseed 2 wouldn't have won, since you have to be familiar with the characters to appreciate it. Would've liked the first flick to be nominated, though. Crying or Very sad
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tenchi: It did play in L.A. last year, though.

If it played last year, then I guess whomever was in charge of distribution didn't submit the necessary paperwork for it to be eligible.

Not that it would likely have had much of any chance whatsoever of getting enough attention to even have a remote chance at nomination.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
okay, so i just watched Sword of the Stranger and I liked it a lot, it actually might get the nomination. It Reminded me a lot of the old Clint Eastwood westerns, you the whole "man with no name" thing. You never know, the animation was really good, and the score was fantastic, so it might get the nomination.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
hermit: I figure that, if Mongol had a chance, Sword of the Stranger might, too.
Vapors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if anyone noticed, but why isn't Star Wars Clone Wars, Space Chimps and the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything not on the nomination list? Not saying they would be deserving but that would have bumped up the number to over 16 canidates to allow 5 nominations and give a chance for other films to be considered.

Anyways, for what its worth I think its frontrunner Wall-E followed with pop choice Kung Fu Panda and then Waltz with Bashir for the serious/artistic nomination.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Vapors: I imagine it's because they bombed, and they won't make the list. Plus, Clone Wars demands your familiarity with that tv show.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The two films are competing with Bolt, Delgo, Dragon Hunters, Fly Me to the Moon, Igor, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa, $9.99, The Tale of Despereaux, Waltz With Bashir, WALL-E, and Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!
Oh man...I'm just happy that they were nominated, Madascar is adored by all children and some adults *cough* including myself [young adult]. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5