• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-11-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
I am a busy person. I take a full course load in university, and work 20 hours a week. I also like to hang out with my firends. I also have time to watch anime. It just depends on what you find time for. If watching anime is something you want to make time for, then you can. I usually watch 2 episodes a night, unless i have alot of work to do or am out doing something. I think the idea that we are all so 'busy' is an illusion. People in post industrial societies have far more free time than any past generation did. If you want to watch anime, it is entirely possible to fit it in, and that goes for anything else (exercise, another hobby, family time, friends).

...Some people really do watch a staggering amount of anime though :/
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
You undershot the average runtime a bit. Most shows clock in around 23-25 minutes, including credits. OP/EDs tend to run about 1:30 each, so you are looking at about 20-22 minutes per episode.

And really, keeping up with 10 shows a season shouldn't be too hard. That's less than two episodes (~45 mintues) a day, and talking about them on a forum wouldn't add too much to that. Plenty of time left over for a social life, though I won't disagree than many fans that watch a lot are rather lacking in one.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
The Messiah wrote:
"MAYBE YOU JACKASSES SHOULD STOP STEALING ANIME ON THE INTERNET SO MUCH, PAY FOR SOMETHING ONCE IN A WHILE"

Best line EVAR!

Brilliant and Beautiful response, Zac. Thank God I'm home alone right now or everyone would have thought I was insane I was laughing so hard.

I LOVED it!

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
ankoku22

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
I'm still laughing at that whole Armageddon response. Absolutely brilliant. I assume that the "Messiah" was Goku, based on the description... truly a touch of genius, I must say. Laughing
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
Best. Answer. Ever. Laughing

Dear lord...the Sasuke line...I'm still trying to catch my breath from laughing...
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:39 am Reply with quote
That thing about watching a lot of anime? Well, I don't, but I watch a fair amount more than the casual fan, just because I don't do fansubs very much. And I do have a pretty active life. The key is not to sleep. Wink

Aw...my letter didn't get into Answerfans. Sadness. That was mah fav-o-rite topic. Sad Que sera...

Oh. My. Gosh. That vision of the anime apocalypse was one of the most amazing things I've read on ANN. Period. Laughing
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
Zac, you are my hero.

I think I've said that before, but it bears repeating. Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
Sheesh, I bet that a lot of people who download don't even have "buy" in their vocabulary Rolling Eyes On another thought, haven't you already asked next week's Answerfans question?
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
I have a few worlds I'd like to live in:

1) Pokemon. Seriously, they all leave their houses at what, age 12? To journey around with complete strangers and former gym leaders? And battle complete strangers then talk about Pokemon to the point where you could count the recent stranger as a closest friend ever because they also like forcing various sized creatures to battle until fainting? Living in a world where everyone knows only of Pokemon and is too poorly educated to realize that that's Team Rocket, the only different is that James has *edited out* boobs? Heck yeah, sign me up! I'm getting a Wobbuffet! And I will not talk or battle you if you have a Luvdisc. And there's only 1 Mewtwo in the world, people, 1!! We can't both have one! And since we're all goody two-shoes here, we'd probably think it cruel to catch it for some arbitrary reason that does not apply to all the Bidoof and Rattata in the world. AND no one ages, ever! Still, I would have my Wobbuffet, and I would be happy.

2) in more seriousness: Mushi-shi. simple and elegant, yet filled to the brim with magic and fun! I remember watching it and saying "duuude, I totally would like to be a mushi-shi in Ginko's universe" while watching it

3) Princess Tutu. I'm curious as to what it would be like to spoiler[live in a world controlled by a story without even realizing it!!], it'd be an interesting experience.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
I'd like to point out something I've not seen addressed about the first question: Houshin Engi isn't based of the Journey to the West, it's based off a different classic Chinese novel. Fengshen Yanyi/The Creation of the Gods (called Houshin Engi in Japan).

Basically it was a story based on the fall of Shang Dynasty and the rise of Zhou Dynasty, with lots of magical and supernatural elements added.

And some scholars believe that the prototype of monkey king Sun Wukong (Son Goku in Japanese) in Journey to the West came from Indian monkey god Hanuman.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fermi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
I like anime and all, but if I had the guts to even consider watching two series at once, I would have to drop out of college. Seriously, with the workload that I have right now this semester, it's impossible for me to fathom trying to dedicate my time towards more than one series.

Having five or more shows at one's disposal seems typical of fans who are on the Internet (based on the blog entries I've read and the anime forums I've visited). I guess this means that ninety percent of the otaku tend to congregate on the net? Nowhere can I find this much dedication from fans I've talked to in real life.

(What a long way some people have gone from casually watching anime on Toonami, to queuing up torrents of anime such as Kannagi.)

Last edited by Fermi on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quote
The Anime Revelation is, by far, one of the greatest things I've ever read. You've truly outdone yourself. Although I didn't need that image of Sasuke and Naruto... *shudder*
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:31 am Reply with quote
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
I beg to differ. Not all anime are 17 minutes minus the opening ending credits, they are only a minute long, and several anime series are 25 to 30 minutes long, and that's not including the credits. Sorry to say this, but if people do have time to watch 10 series at once, they really don't have a life. You'd be surprised how busy people can be during the week that they can't watch 4 episodes of anime a day.

10 series? Pfft, that's nothing. I'm presently watching 20 series at once, even with a job. (At one point, I was watching up to 23 shows at once.)

How do I do this? I dedicate nearly all of my time off from work to watching anime, be it on DVD, TV, or streaming sites. On an average day I get in at least 7 shows, watching at least one episode a day on the streaming sites and one DVD a day, but on a really good day I can get in 10 to 15.

The anime revelation: Pretty well-spun--should serve as a cautionary tale for the neckbearded weeaboos who steal anime constantly without ever buying anything and think anime should "go back to the fans" and be "free for the people".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Armageddon happened on July 3rd, 2008; ground zero was in Los Angeles, California, at the site of Anime Expo 2008.

Yeah.. Sorry bout that. My friends kept saying if I got to first the world would end. I thought they were joking. I THOUGHT THEY WERE JOKING. ;-;
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey Answerfans.

If you could live in the world of any anime or manga series, which would it be, and why?

Someone better up Answerman's meds, he might encounter some brain-bleach moments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6