• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-11-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it says that originally Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was going to be Indiana Jones and the Monkey King, which would feature Jones meeting the simian himself, who had magical powers or something - and yes, this was all George Lucas' idea).

If you had told me that a year ago I would be shocked. After the bizarre direction they went with in Crystal Skull I'm not suprised at all though.

Quote:
Well, what a week it's been! I'm about to hit level 8 in Fallout 3 though so I'm going to have to make this quick, because those Super Mutants ain't gonna blow their own heads off.

I didn't know you were a gamer Zac. As I recall, comments you've made in the past made it sound kind of like you weren't really. Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly though.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
And I thought that I wasn't going to get a dose of anime-related creative writing this week, what with Brian's always enjoyable "The Click" having been laid to rest. Mentioning Hieronymus Bosch was a pretty cool touch. Cool
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sinners were cast down, sent screaming into an eternity of punishment, chained to computers equipped only with a 56k modem, with CPUs too slow to run H.264 videos. Then there were the survivors - we who drifted in between sin and saintliness, left to wander an Earth devoid of anime, an eternal purgatory. All in all, there were only slightly over 9,000 of us left.

In short, exactly how your given Brittish anime fan has to deal with life, realy.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
One thing re the China-Japan emnity: The emnity between the two countries came, IIRC much, much later, long after the Journey to the West was written. Originally, China played a similar role in respect to Japan as Greece did with early Rome: China was very much a role model and a prototype for much of the non-indigenous culture of Japan. China informed the Japanese language (introducing Kanji, for instance), and also influenced the imperial system of government -- even Kyoto was modeled after the Chinese Imperial Capital. Only later, once Japan began to feel itself to be a regional power (particularly during Hideyoshi's military adventures in Korea) did bad blood start to greatly well up in China, and even then, the hate largely stems, IINM, only from the period from roughly 1885 and through World War Two, once increasingly large portions of China came under Japanese control.
Yet the Japanese could still appreciate Chinese culture even when Imperial Japanese Army troops were putting China essentially to the torch. It's much the same reason -- albeit in reverse -- that the Anglo-Saxons around 800 could enjoy an epic poem (Beowulf) that essentially glorified the forbears of the Scandinavian raiders who were at that same time looting and pillaging England.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I didn't know you were a gamer Zac. As I recall, comments you've made in the past made it sound kind of like you weren't really. Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly though.

This isn't the first time he's mentioned games in the column, actually. I can't remember what the last one was though, which is going to bug me for the next little while.

Speaking of Fallout 3, I've still got to decide whether or not I'm buying that. And then there's GoW2 as well, but I've still got to defeat RAAM from the first one.

On a related note, I'm another person who doesn't have trouble keeping up with 15+ shows per season. Then again, I've got a really light workload at university, so that helps.

The message from the future was gold. Especially that bit about the Yaoi fangirl's dream being fulfilled. I must go wash my brain out with soap now.
krownklown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
Im glad someone pointed this out, like the first poster said , Houshin Engi has absolutely nothing to do with journey into the west. Journey into the west, along with swamp bandits (suikoden) and two others are called the four great works and i think came out some time around the ming. Gods of creation (not full title ) came out at the same time, but is not counted among those 4 great works of the time, and is the basis Houshin Engi/soul hunter. The other major influence is that Taikobo is partial based on Tsun Zu the great strategist and his work art of war.

Romance of the 3 kingdoms and Journey are not the only interesting works to come out of China, people.
dirge_without_music

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's like asking why the Walt Disney Company has so many movies based on German fairy tales because... uh... weren't we like... enemies at some point?

Sorry Answerman but the Grim Brothers just popularised popular European folk tales (and took out all the sex, violence and incest) to make them more accessible to children. They didn't actually write most of them.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:22 am Reply with quote
dirge_without_music wrote:
Sorry Answerman but the Grim Brothers just popularised popular European folk tales (and took out all the sex, violence and incest) to make them more accessible to children. They didn't actually write most of them.

The popular editions of the Brothers Grimm's fairy tales were made kid-safe. The originals are pretty out there.
petran79

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote
dirge_without_music wrote:
Quote:
It's like asking why the Walt Disney Company has so many movies based on German fairy tales because... uh... weren't we like... enemies at some point?

True, they rather collected most of their fairy tales from Dorothea Viehmann who had Hugenot roots and the French Secretary of State Charles Perrault (who like the Grimms also collected stories either from common folk or other authors).

Actually Viehman learned most of the fairy tales in her fathers tavern by various travelers, merchants and tradesmen . She then later gave those stories to the Grimms.

That is why a lot of French and Italian fairytales found their way in there.

As for the censure in Hensel and Grettel they had a mother and not a stepmother. Also in some editions some French fairy tales were omitted so as to appeal to a German audience

posterior_praiser wrote:
. People in post industrial societies have far more free time than any past generation did. If you want to watch anime, it is entirely possible to fit it in, and that goes for anything else (exercise, another hobby, family time, friends).

...Some people really do watch a staggering amount of anime though :/

not only is there more free time but in post-industrial societies you are defined by what you consume
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
If they are 10 entertaining series then I have no problem following 10 series a week. That's about 5 hours in the entire week which is really not bad and really does not take away that much time from your life.

I know plenty of people who follow 5 hour long TV series in a week and that is pretty much equivalent to watching 10 anime series except in this case you usually follow TV series on a set schedule when they come out (well unless you have Tivo) with anime you can watch the 10 series when you have the time.
eviltimes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Goodnight, proud warrior. Perhaps only in eternity will your dreams of Naruto lovingly penetrating Sasuke's tender anus be realized.

Blew my cheerios all over the keyboard!

Thanks, I needed a good laugh!
rekishi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
On another thought, haven't you already asked next week's Answerfans question?

that's what i was going to say... and i'll give the same response as i did last time... Guri for me... Haibane Renmei's world would suit me fine... nice and peaceful... in between rebellious Haibane who try to climb over the walls that is... Smile

as for the apocalypse answer... twos rather good... the question is a valid one... seeing as Funi seem to be the only ones who are making money at the moment... (hang in there ADV... you got Clannad... that's a good (re)start)... but the answer is as obvious as a homosectional yaoi fan at a con (ranting about the 'obvious' gay subtext in full metal panic or something no doubt).. tragically... however, if the anime industry did die out in the US (and in turn, my country, Australia)... the ones who caused it wont care, since it wont effect them at all... they can still download what ever they want... selfish mongrels Sad

as for gaming... must admit i haven't bothered to take a look at Fallout 3 yet... Farcry 2 has me hook, line and IED sinker... Very Happy
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
rekishi wrote:
... but the answer is as obvious as a homosectional yaoi fan at a con (ranting about the 'obvious' gay subtext in full metal panic or something no doubt).

There's more m/m text in Sugar Sugar Rune (Robin propositioning Haux or Saule, I forget which one).

Kaname/Tessa is pure fan-service/Newtype/Megami yuri. Tessa/Melissa...all in my head.
eviltimes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
rekishi wrote:
... Haibane Renmei's world would suit me fine... Farcry 2 has me hook, line and IED sinker... Very Happy

You realize what you have to do to get to the world of Haibane Renmei?

And I also have succumbed to the plains of Africa with FC2.

Cool
frodonk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
i do remember Zac mentioning bioshock before, and if my memory serves me correctly Zac was also lining up for a game console before, all of this got through many hours of reading the answerman column every week Very Happy

i watch 15 weekly shows right now, and i still have plenty of time for other things not related to anime or gaming, so i think it is only a matter of time management.

as for the answer to one of the questions in this week's column, it will be laid to rest next to my years old archived copy of the graphic description of a suicide by Zac regarding a question about lucky star episodes and whether there are people who get depressed when an anime series comes to an end Very Happy i'm sure someday when the world finally realizes the answerman's genius my copy would be worth a fortune Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6