• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-11-13]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
Axe-336 wrote:
I'll make a case for Anna Faris: If you dye her hair should could be similar enough. As for personality and acting, she was the girl in Lost in Translation. That character IS a twenty something girl who falls for an older man

Except that Anna Faris wasn't in Lost in Translation. That was Scarlett Johansson, who is yet another good actress.
Honestly though, I can see how you can get the two mixed up, because they do look somewhat similar.
I have to agree with you though, a live action Nana movie localized for American audiences (set in America, American characters) would work extremely well. It's not blasphemy at all, I think. Just so long as they stay true to the original characters.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
The anime industry is going through a transition. One of the problems is that the distributors are relying too much upon collectors to make their profits while many fans have enough in their collections and are just interested free distribution on TV. As well, many younger fans are use to getting free anime from TV and aren't looking to buy shows. So the interest in buying anime is down while the interest in viewing anime on TV is up.

But distributors aren't finding a large enough market with all the other competion for the anime age group. Many who would be spending their time watching anime are instead playing or using the Internet during that time. And video games don't just compete for time but for money, so even when they have the time they may not have the money.

There has also been a large amount of western animation produced within the last couple decades and computers make it even easier than before. So it's possible for CN to fill up it's schedule with everything else and still get good numbers. They don't need anime anymore. And any decent shows they run loose audience to fansubs.

Anime first appeared on US TV back around the 60s. But it disappeared for most of the 70s. We very likely could see it disappear from US TV again for a long time. But until the last decade the average person didn't have Internet and it's only within the last five years that it's been fast enough to support distribution. It might be that the Internet could be the main way to view the shows for a while.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
If this is what it is to be an anime fan--watching 10 series a week--then I'm only a very very very casual anime liker. You people are nutso. I can hardly understand one series at a time.

Well, I couldn't pretend I was a real anime fan even if I wanted. I've watched, what, five series? Fullmetal Alchemist (which I can credit as the only reason I check out any anime at all now), Death Note, Full Moon wo Sagashite, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle (if you want to even consider those). Not to say I haven't tried series; I've gotten halfway through quite a few, it's just my short attention span. I like anime, that's it. I'm not a huge fan of it, I like the style, I like the stories, I like everything about it, I know more about it than the average person. I have nothing against it. I just feel like I have better things to be doing, like drawing, or writing my crappy excuse for a school life comic, or doing my homework. You're right. I can make time for it if I want, but watching a series is a commitment, and looking at the same show over and over is boring.

I have no time to watch any anime during the week most of the time. Or rather, I don't feel like committing time to something so uncertain. Will I even like it? Mostly, I just read manga scanlations, which are a little easier to pick up, and if it's licensed, I'll wait until I have the money, which I probably won't, and buy it at my local Books-A-Million or Borders. As for non-licensed, as a middle school student, I don't have the means to import the raw manga, to support the writer... Anime hyper I still feel bad about that. I'm more of a manga fan, then, I guess. I do like the anime style(s) of drawing though.

I just realized, the only reason I'm even on this site is to find new series to check out, which I will, and will give up halfway through due to the length.

For the record, I'd like to live in the Pokémon world. I mean, going on adventures with brightly colored elemental pets? That'd be awesome. Yeah, a childhood fandom I haven't quite grown out of. Even as a major FMA (anime only) fan, I couldn't live there. I wouldn't feel safe around such a crazy military. I'd feel paranoid all the time, as well. I mean, how can you NOT feel paranoid if there's a homunculus shapeshifter around?

(P.S. If it seems I signed up just to say that if my post count is 0 or something...I didn't. I signed up for the My Anime list thingy. And this was like a year ago or something. Whatever.)
marklungo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
1. I'd like to second fuuma_monou's suggestion of the Wings of Honnamise world as an interesting place to live. It's one of the most fully realized fictional worlds in the history of film, and it's just similar enough to our world to be exotic without being totally unfamiliar. (Oh, and Gainax--make Blue Uru already!)

2. As for the Naruto/Sasuke thing: Not so long ago, I would have laughed it off, too. Then I saw the episodes in question. Listen to the way they talk to each other while they're fighting; it really does sound like they're having a lovers' quarrel. And yes, I realize this is a
squicky subject because we're talking about two 12-year-old boys, but the hints are just too obvious to be dismissed.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Interesting suggestions for live action shows. I always thought Cowboy Bebop would make a good live action movie. But I can't believe no one mentioned Hellsing! C'mon, that would make an awesome live action movie. Course since it's set in England, I guess it be better if it was a British production or a joint British-American venture. But I can't think of too many actors who would do Alucard justice.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Except that Anna Faris wasn't in Lost in Translation. That was Scarlett Johansson, who is yet another good actress.

They're both in Lost in Translation. Faris plays the ditzy actress who is there in Japan to promote her action movie.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
Quark wrote:

They're both in Lost in Translation. Faris plays the ditzy actress who is there in Japan to promote her action movie.

Oh man! I was wondering if that was maybe who the other poster was talking about, but wasn't sure. Heh heh shame on me for not checking before opening my big mouth.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
I am saving the message from the future for all time to read when I need a laugh, or...with the way things are going in the industry lately, when I need to cry because it is all too true....
rekishi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
eviltimes wrote:
rekishi wrote:
... Haibane Renmei's world would suit me fine... Farcry 2 has me hook, line and IED sinker... Very Happy

You realize what you have to do to get to the world of Haibane Renmei?

And I also have succumbed to the plains of Africa with FC2.

Cool

yeah, be born there as a human Very Happy... being a haibane... having to work for free like some alseimers slave labour union would suck... Laughing ok granted it might not be that bad... but the other way to get there... seems kinda... risky... i hear it's hot in certain parts of the afterlife... Razz

just got to the second map in FC2, and got my ass handed to me by rebels with mortars shelling the hell outa the barge i was suposed to protect... stupid mission, all i want is to do the new gun runner missions and unlock the better sniper rifle Confused
Axe-336

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:56 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Axe-336 wrote:
I'll make a case for Anna Faris: If you dye her hair should could be similar enough. As for personality and acting, she was the girl in Lost in Translation. That character IS a twenty something girl who falls for an older man

Honestly though, I can see how you can get the two mixed up, because they do look somewhat similar.
I have to agree with you though, a live action Nana movie localized for American audiences (set in America, American characters) would work extremely well. It's not blasphemy at all, I think. Just so long as they stay true to the original characters.

OH! You are so right. I saw that she had a credit in there and thought that was her, but she was the flakey action star! Aug, I can't believe I made that mistake. Yeah, so if we could smash those two Lost in Translation characters together we'd pretty much have Nana K.

Hmmm, I had a cringe worthy idea that would make sure to sell tickets: Miley Cyrus. Wait a few years for Miley to grow up a bit so that as much a red flag with all the adult themes and have her play Reira. Now thats a good casting point.... Yes.... My evil plan to sell Nana to the American audience is slowly forming! MWA HA HA HA!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6