• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5 Anime Studios Sue 4 'Heavy Downloaders' in Singapore

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again. It's "Let's stop anime downloads with force - Part II: The New Enemy"
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Here we go again. It's "Let's stop anime downloads with force - Part II: The New Enemy"

Alternitive? If you dont mind me asking.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:10 pm Reply with quote
So they got sent letters to stop, and didn't stop? Rolling Eyes

Best to listen when big dogs bark.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Alternitive? If you don't mind me asking.

In all seriousness, there really isn't a alternitive. If the company doesn't do anything, more and more money will be lost. Despite what some fans think, anime isn't exactly cheap to make.

Kudo's to the company's suing the pirates.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Whilst Odex might not be directly involved, there's a spat of "This could of been all avoided" in the air, what with thier rather lackluster releases.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
In this economy, it's not like anyone has any money that you could sue for anyways. Hence why the increased number in downloads. With a global recession essentially occurring, you can't really blame people who need their anime fix.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Singapore? And ODEX? Well, I guess they'll be hanging.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Well they came around in the US to a point at least. They still need to allow the free downloads of their items and come up with a way to make money off of that rather than restricting it. They could set up a site that offers all you can dowload each month and charge everyone a cheap monthly fee and just say download from here only - probably have a ton of takers.

Eventually they will figure it out - that the consumers are actually showing them the new distribution method for the new century, and they should be taking notes on what to do, rather than trying to force people to follow an old but swiftly fading market model.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
In this economy, it's not like anyone has any money that you could sue for anyways. Hence why the increased number in downloads. With a global recession essentially occurring, you can't really blame people who need their anime fix.
People don't need anime to survive.

I don't download anime(can't say I didn't in the past), but I'm all for the anime companies suing and getting their money. They know who the big offenders are though.....
naruhodo569

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

The important thing to remember, kids, is that this really will never stop. Crack down and sue, and people will continue to share and download anyway.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
naruhodo569 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

The important thing to remember, kids, is that this really will never stop. Crack down and sue, and people will continue to share and download anyway.

It's more important to protect what's belongs to you. If you just roll over then people will walk all over you. Sure others might step into the place of those being sued, but sitting back and watching it happen doesn't help at all.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
People don't need anime to survive.

I don't download anime(can't say I didn't in the past), but I'm all for the anime companies suing and getting their money. They know who the big offenders are though.....

Exactly. For most of us, anime is simply a hobby. Anime isn't needed to surive. Food, shelter, clothing and water are the essential items, not anime.

Illegal downloading doesn't just hurt the company, it can also hurt the consumers and the overal market. I am all for the anime companies getting the money they rightfully deserve.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
naruhodo569 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

So downloading joins all the alleged "victimless" crimes like prostitution & drugs where the law will keep chipping away. Some will continue to do the illegal activity, but others will stop because they don't really care to have their lives disrupted by being locked up, paying fines or having a criminal record haunt them if they're snagged under a criminal code.

You can say busting users doesn't work.
I say I see a percentage of my clients who've used drugs for 5 yrs, 10 yrs, whatever finally decide they're sick of the lifestyle.
Same goes for downloaders.
Maybe they'll download all their lives (assuming this is possible) or maybe they'll get caught up in the daily 9-5 life & no longer have time for all of this. Maybe they'll get jobs which won't look too kindly to an employee having to sit in that cell for a year or 2 or 5.

Who's to say any of this will be a valid issue in 20 yrs? I'm waiting for people to get technology installed in them so they don't need cell phones, etc. Sci-Fi future option-tv ceases to exist & it's beamed into our skulls or something. Who knows?

But right now I still say the people that make art deserve to be paid for their work & there is no argument on this planet that will convince me people shouldn't be paid for their hard work.
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
With a global recession essentially occurring, you can't really blame people who need their anime fix.

Dear goodness, the apologists just keep thinking up more and more absurd explanations, don't they?

Personally I think both sides are smoking crack. It shouldn't be so easy to pirate everything from a technical standpoint, and neither should pirating a single movie for personal use open you up to five years in jail and a multi-hundred-thousand-dollar fine. Surely there has to be a better balance somewhere.
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:

I would agree with this if I needed anime to survive.

Gahhhhhh I have no anime, it is more important than water.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10