• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fans Bid 22,500+ Yen for Kannagi's Nagi Fan Club Cards

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Ok. I was wrong about the card. It's laminated and it's not plastic. However, I have to argue that home-made Kannagi fan club card will not pass the scrutiny of serious collector. The pictures on that website is too small to make decent print out. Not to mention home printer can't match industrial strength printing.

About those limited editions, I think it's brilliant to take advantage of short-term popularity.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

About those limited editions, I think it's brilliant to take advantage of short-term popularity.

Yeah, like say, when Barney or Spongebob Squarepants peaked, we couldn't get enough of it! Laughing
W-General

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quote
Does that mean these fan club cards are SECOND HAND? *cue shitstorm Anime hyper*
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote
You know why some fans are willing to spend so much money on those items? It's not because those fans are just collectors. It's because those items reaffirms fans to experience fantasy in real life in tangible sense. For example, an actual replica of Elric's pocket watch from Fullmetal Alchemist gives impression that item is from the fantasy world of Fullmetal Alchemist. Yes, it's made in Japan and it's not really from FMA world, but its tangible nature gives a feeling that you're more closer to the fantasy.
The same goes to the Kannagi fan club card. For fans, owning the card makes them feel closer to fantasy world of Kannagi.
Kunisaki Shugo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, even in the fantasy world, I would'nt pay that much for the fan card. Maybe one might pop up a year later, cheap, but considering Japan's otaku's mind, the chances are really slim. Like finding a wolf goddess without a apple. Besides, since the otakuism that this series has gotten is really high, you might even say that it's the next Lucky Star (inside pun intended).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2