• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spielberg, Smith Reportedly Adapting Old Boy Manga Itself

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too well versed in the contents of the manga, but maybe a certain somebody is trying to sidestep the spoiler[father/daughter incest] ending of the movie to maintain his clean Hollywood image? He is supposed to be Mr. Family Man and all... Kind of a cop out if true, but only speculative at best.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
joshjoshlol wrote:
I'm not too well versed in the contents of the manga, but maybe a certain somebody is trying to sidestep the spoiler[father/daughter incest] ending of the movie to maintain his clean Hollywood image? He is supposed to be Mr. Family Man and all... Kind of a cop out if true, but only speculative at best.

I haven't read the manga or seen the movie, but how is it a cop out to adapt the original?
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
He said it would be a cop-out of the ending, not on the adaptation.

Hard R or go home, Speilberg.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

It's not like he hasn't made "hard R" movies before. I don't understand the paranoia of Hollywood butchering or toning down adaptations. They're not the only ones who do it....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Splitter wrote:

It's not like he hasn't made "hard R" movies before. I don't understand the paranoia of Hollywood butchering or toning down adaptations. They're not the only ones who do it....
but they do it the worse to anime/manga IMO
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

How many of the dozens of anime that are getting adapted into Hollywood movies have you actually seen to be able to make that kind of judgment? Particularly considering that all of, what, TWO have actually be released?

Show me proof please. And if somehow you're able to watch all of these anime-turned-Hollywood movies that actually haven't been COMPLETED yet, please let me tap into your clairvoyance.
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Japan would like a word with you. A long, winded word.
Quote:
screenwriter Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend, Poseidon, The Cell) is in early talks to script the project.

Oh, boy... I'm not a film buff, but I feel this is already an uphill battle for this film being at least decent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh, an American company is making an adaptation of a manga/anime. It has gotta be bad. Oh, a Japanese company is adapting an American cartoon/comic into an anime. What are they thinking of? It'll be bad for sure. Look, they are going to destroy that classic movie/anime by doing a remake. They are going to adapt that manga into an anime? I can guarantee you it'll never be as good.

Well... I haven't seen what the scripts are going to be like, nor have I seen any screenshots/trailers. Or who will be the principal participants. But I just know it. Just because it's unconventional. Right?
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

But he's saying that it's a cop out to not adapt the movie/use the movie's ending. He doesn't even know why they want to adapt the original, and you'd think people would want an adaptation of the original.

"Cop out" implies that he's expected to do it. Why is he expected to remake the movie rather than just look to the original?
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Splitter wrote:

But he's saying that it's a cop out to not adapt the movie/use the movie's ending. He doesn't even know why they want to adapt the original, and you'd think people would want an adaptation of the original.

"Cop out" implies that he's expected to do it. Why is he expected to remake the movie rather than just look to the original?

He's NOT expected to remake the movie. LISTEN.
Leebo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Leebo wrote:
Splitter wrote:

He's NOT expected to remake the movie. LISTEN.

I appreciate that you're trying to speak for joshjoshlol, but I disagree with your interpretation of what he said, so I want to hear what his thoughts are.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
If they adapt the manga, they'll probably pad it with the inconsequential stuff in order to improve Will Smith's range. It's not going to be about making something entertaining, as much as making some social commentary like that jerk-off version of "A History of Violence".
Gilaskan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not particularly jazzed on this film, but I'm starting to defend it just because I'm tired of the whine-train everybody is riding on.

Why this movie will rock-

1) Will Smith WANTS dark roles. I Am Legend was one of his darkest roles to date (marred only by a few "cutesy" sequences), and his upcoming Seven Pounds follows a suicidal man. Smith is a big actor, but he's also talented. He WANTS an Oscar, and he knows he won't get a nomination unless he tackles a darker role.

2) Spielberg is the biggest director of all time. Bar none. 500 years from now, people will probably look back on him as the Shakespeare of film. While he's had his hand in some family affairs, it's hard to ignore the fact that this guy directed Schindler's List (one of the darkest movies of the 90's) and Saving Private Ryan (which originally got an NC-17 until he appealed for an R). Because he's big, he has the pull in Hollywood so that he can do ANYTHING he wants in film. If he wants to keep the original ending, no one is going to challenge him on it.

3) The Departed was awesome, and even won Best Picture. The Departed, for those who don't know, is an intense, dark, American drama film (by a BIG director) which is a remake of an Asian film, which was based on a Japanese manga.

When Spielberg directs a remake of Oldboy... intense, dark, American drama film (by a BIG director) which is a remake of an Asian film, which was based on a Japanese manga. Now, that sounds familiar for some reason...
darkninjawill
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
All I want to know is will it end with spoiler[father/daughter incest]
krownklown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
thats such bs, why dont you make your adaptations (i am legend, this) before someone else does, saying your basing on the source material doesnt really change anything, its still like your remaking
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3