• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann on Canada's Super Channel 2 Next Month

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
okay. so i could pay $20 per month for the next six months to get this channel and watch gurren lagann? or, i could pay about $25 for the 2 disc sets when rightstuf is having a bandai sale - which is bound to happen in the next six months - and still finish watching the series before it finishes it's run on tv. who decided it made sense air these shows on this channel?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The big (BIG) problem with this news is that it basically confirms that Bandai sold the Canadian TV rights for Gurren Lagann to Starz Media along with the American rights. While that benefits Americans, since Starz has their anime block on the reasonably accessible Sci-Fi Network, it basically screws over Canadian fans completely because Super Channel was the best Starz could get up here. I don't know whose idea it was to put this block on a premium station at all, since Canadians are basically forced to pay an extremely high price for the exact same content Americans get on basic cable months in advance!

The worst part is that the same thing probably happened to Gundam 00, which will prevent YTV or any stations people actually get from even having a chance at acquiring the series. This is a completely counterproductive to actual promotion in every way, and I absolutely can't believe that Bandai was stupid enough to sell the Canadian rights to their programming to Starz Media. Did they not even take a few seconds to think that decision through? Or listen to the fans who had voiced this concern beforehand? I find this to be outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous
Dezixn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Man that's really... Oh wait. It's Canada, move along, no one cares lol Smile

But really that kinda sucks, our poor northern brethren are screwed. Oh well just buy the DVD I guess.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Dezixn wrote:

But really that kinda sucks, our poor northern brethren are screwed. Oh well just buy the DVD I guess.

They get mildly screwed on everything and it makes no sense... Why can't canada and america just... share channels? .-.

I know there's gotta be some legal nonsense behind it but... Ugh...

It's just... meaningless in my eyes. But I'm ignorant to politics and that **** so whatever...
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:33 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Dezixn wrote:

They get mildly screwed on everything and it makes no sense... Why can't canada and america just... share channels? .-.

It's just... meaningless in my eyes. But I'm ignorant to politics and that **** so whatever...
Not mention sharing channels or anything on this forum, you must be HAPPY for the americans with thier great wall of stupid stoping all access.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge:

I share your pain my British Colombian brother. I find it especially frustrating because GL and Gundam 00 are both things I am rather unsure if I will like. I'm not really willing to buy the DVDs but would love to be able to watch on TV. I truly don't understand why companies are so frequently indifferent to Canadians. I understand there are some barriers involved but quite often it seems to go further than that. it seems like they just don't care. Sure, Canada's population is only a fraction of the size of the U.S. but still, it's a pretty significant number. It really makes me wonder what their thinking is.
JINROH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Dezixn wrote:

We can thank the effing CRTC for all this garbage and a pile more.I'll stick to the dvd's thanks. Sad
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
JINROH wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Dezixn wrote:

We can thank the effing CRTC for all this garbage and a pile more.I'll stick to the dvd's thanks. Sad

Hey, you want to flush any sense of autonomy and local culture from Canadian television, be my guest. American channels are made inaccessible in Canada for a reason. The situation is no different from other countries, yet for some reason Canadians insist that they're entitled to American broadcasts. I think we need to get over that. Not that any of that justifies this particular misfortune that we're seeing with anime on Super Channel. But at the same time this one dilemma doesn't justify abolishing the protection of Canadian voices on television. You shouldn't underestimate how important that is in the grand scheme of things.

But it's probably best that we close that can of worms. I wonder if Bandai is aware that Gurren Lagann is airing on such an inaccessible station... or if they even realize it's airing on Canadian TV at all. I certainly hope they pay a little more attention to what happens with Gundam 00, but I can't help but be pessimistic now.
GW-9800

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I never even heard of Super Channel before reading this. Doesn't start off very well.
TheVok

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
GW-9800 wrote:
I never even heard of Super Channel before reading this. Doesn't start off very well.

They're worth hearing about, though, given they're pretty much the only folks airing anime in Canada these days (probably out of desperation for content, rather than any other reason).

But yeah, I wouldn't want Canadian TV to just be taken over by the American system. When I travel on business in the U.S., I find there's very little I'm interested in watching on my hotel room TV. It makes me realize that, while Canuck TV ain't perfect, it has a good variety; we get the main U.S. networks and a bunch of other stuff too.

In any given week, I watch some CanCon (including Rick Mercer, Less Than Kind, 22 Minutes and Little Mosque) and some AmCon (including Terminator, Smallville and South Park). I wouldn't just give up one for the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1