• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Japan Posts 2008's Top-10 DVDs, CDs, Toys

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:49 am Reply with quote
not surprised Evangelion is #1
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
Macross Frontier seems to have done a great job on the music front.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
Well, I have three of those, all DVDs. Not counting Rubic's cubes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
Ah, I've wanted that Mugen Edamame keychain ever since I saw it in Giant Robot last month. Apparently when you squeeze the pod, the little smiley-faced soybean pops out-- just like shelling real edamame (sans the smiley-face). Very therapeutic, no?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Macross Frontier seems to have done a great job on the music front.

Indeed. It destroyed all competition. Too bad OST 3 Nyan Tama did not release fast enough for it to be included in the ranking, but if it did it would no doubt be in the top 5. I now proudly own every single Macross Frontier CD in existence Very Happy
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I think it's deserved too, the show had some excellent music. As I said in the Macross Frontier thread, I didn't really care for the prior Macross show I saw. Though I still think the Macross idea is a bit strange I found Frontier thoroughly enjoyable because the music was pretty awesome IMO.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
Who the hell buys a strategy guide for a Rubik's cube?

Also does this mean we could see an anime version of the Rubik's cube show?
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
DANBO!

Him and the Rubik's Cube should star together in a show. I can see it now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Who the hell buys a strategy guide for a Rubik's cube?

Uh, the 95% of humanity that lacks the patience and/or intelligence to figure it out themselves, and who are too lazy to google for it.

It's almost like a common courtesy to include a solution guide with the rubic's cube nowadays. Otherwise you'd just get a ton of angry people calling your company on the telephone demanding you explain to them exactly how to solve it over the phone Smile.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Well, I have three of those, all DVDs. Not counting Rubic's cubes.

The real thing, right? I bought that new Eva movie DVD and packaging and graphic design are really nice. Thus my rant on US companies: Offer us collectors a serious package design just like Japanese. I really want to see some high-end package design on domestic titles.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
High end packaging costs money, and the Japanese pay a lot more than we do to get that packaging.

I can see the point of this if the R1 companies were primarily getting TV broadcasts and selling a lot online for low costs to those who care less about packaging. Then at some point in the future selling higher cost box sets to those who care about actual packaging would be a possibility.

As of now though, since their primary mode of sale/revenue is dvds, they need to price them where most in the US are willing to buy, and since few care about packaging to the extent you do, they certainly aren't willing to pay substantially more for it.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
High end packaging costs money, and the Japanese pay a lot more than we do to get that packaging.

I'm talking from collector's point of view. To be clear, I just don't see high contrast between high-end anime DVD and low-end anime DVD of the same title. Isn't that why we have regular editions and special editions to begin with? For collectors who are spending extra cost for special edition, shouldn't that extra cost reflect the range of contrast between special edition's and regular edition's physical form?
For high Japanese package price, you should know that Japanese customers pay brand new low-end Anime DVD at higher price because of limited quantity and in-country DVD manufacturing. Their regular edition DVD (not anime) movie still cost 4000 yen ($41) while ours are around $20 range. It's not because Japanese payed more packaging, but actual consumer price market of all items sets the price.

How domestic companies run their business with other media companies is none of my concern. Who am I telling them how to sell their product to various media customers?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1