• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Grey: Digital Target

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Descent123

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
If anyone really cares there was a Laserdisc release in Japan only.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
The best part about reading Justin's column isn't so much the content itself, though that's usually interesting, but that it's so well-written. Justin can really sell anything. Even his admission of the flaws of this anime, which seem to be the downside of a lot of 80s sci-fi/soldier/ultraviolent production, still doesn't detract from my sudden interest in a production I would otherwise just shrug off. No surprising that it's too short, given that is the problem with a lot of anime of its type.

I look forward to the next Buried Treasure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
james438

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
semi off topic, but I like KMFDM's version of Material Girl, Like a prayer, the Muppets, and Mortal Kombat tracks are also good.

Last edited by james438 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Funny timing. I was just pestering an Amazon.com seller a few days ago over whether he has the subtitled or dubbed version.

He still hasn't gotten back to me. :(
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:15 am Reply with quote
I thought Naruto season 1 was this week.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
I quite liked the film, but thought the manga was much better. The film actually played in a double feature in cinemas with the animated Guyver movie (aka Out of Control), so that may account for the shorter run time. Grey also got a UK subtitled VHS release from Western Connection, three years before the US release. The UK release was translated by Jonathan Clements.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
I bought the 2 volume manga collection by Viz back in the day. And I own the movie on vhs with subs. Wish the movie had ended like the manga.

It would have been cool to see it turned into a tv show, that would follow the manga from start to end.

I recommend you read the manga first then watch the movie.

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I thought Naruto season 1 was this week.

Well, that was a joke. Of course, given Justin's level of annoyance over what happened, I wasn't 100% sure.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
This takes me back. Anime smile

I picked up both volumes of the manga back at (somewhat ironically) Big Apple Anime Fest 2001. I have no idea where they are now. Anime cry
bci110

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
The Unknown 24 wrote:
I bought the 2 volume manga collection by Viz back in the day. And I own the movie on vhs with subs. Wish the movie had ended like the manga.

It would have been cool to see it turned into a tv show, that would follow the manga from start to end.

I recommend you read the manga first then watch the movie.

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy

As luck would have it, TRSI still has the two manga collections available on their site, though they have the dreaded "On Order From Manufacturer" tag on them. But at US $12.56 it's not a bad deal.
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Ah, memories. I still remember the early Viz days when they were promoting this manga as well as the animated film's release in Japan, right about the same time they were promoting Area 88 manga and would make mentions of those OAVs. That was one of the first anime meetings I'd ever gone to.

Decades later, I got hold of Jonathan's UK translation and was finally able to find the Viz VHS at a comic store's throwaway bin, and wound up showing it in the classics room, where people came with an open mind seemingly and seemed to enjoy it (though I had to tell them to sit through the ending credits). I didn't mind the ending because I felt it left a decent amount to the imagination though it is a bit rough to have to tell people there is a finale to be seen afterwards.

I did finally manage to get "Love Is Heart" as an mp3, and grabbed one of the Japanese VHS's before a local bookstore closed here. Yeah, I also would have to admit it's not the pinnacle of anime, but I enjoy it a good bit as an action story with a level of seriousness not found in a lot of modern works. I would recommend Grey as well just to see the mindset of 80's action anime.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the movie in quite a while, but the manga really is much better, I think. There were to many changes to the story, like the fact that spoiler[Nova, and everyone else that matters except for Grey, get killed], and particularly the ending, that took away from just how compelling the original story was. I also remember the movie as looking pretty standard - there was nothing terribly interesting about the art or the direction (that's what I remember, at any rate), where the manga had some nice stylization and some pretty effective composition. I don't have as high an opinion of the movie as Justin does, but I think the manga is worth the effort to track down.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Looks like there's hardly any info on the Japanese voices for this one.

This would have been an interesting watch for me. I actually do enjoy watching anime with "bleak settings" like Ryuu Seiki did. This one may have indeed been thought-provoking for me at the time.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:

I do. As long as it has not released in DVD format, domestic or import, I would be interested. I bought "Run Melos" LD two years ago and it has not came out in DVD or BD format. From collector's point of view, it's nice to search for some obscure titles on older video format.

I'm glad that I still have Anime LD Encyclopedia (Japanese). It lists every Anime laserdiscs released in Japan from 1981 to 1997.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:

A little research says:

Catalog number: 108SX-14
Release date: 1987/02/25
Releasing company: Tokuma Japan
Price: Y10,721 plus tax

Sources: 1 (to which I just submitted an update), 2, 3.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2