• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: India Reportedly Bans Crayon Shin-chan from TV

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Shin is 5 years old!? Didn't see this coming! I kinda did expect something like this to happen, but I don't pay much attention to Shin-chan much.
crazychild

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Savages…
sarsman45

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
who even takes this show seriously?
Gage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
sarsman45 wrote:
who even takes this show seriously?

People of India. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't they be more concerned with their failure to catch terrorists in light of their adoption of nuclear energy?

Edit: Also, the Russkies are the last people on earth who should be criticizing others on cruelty. Rolling Eyes
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Shouldn't they be more concerned with their failure to catch terrorists in light of their adoption of nuclear energy?

Uh, what?

That's like blaming the U.S. military's failure to find Osama Bin Laden on the FCC's persecution of Janet Jackson's bejewelled nipple.

That's right, conspiracy fans, there's no connection!
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Picky quibble: I'm pretty sure it's the "Hindi" version of the show, not the "Hindu" version. Hindu is the religion, Hindi is the language.

------RM
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Damn. My cousins in India really liked this show too, so did a lot of their friends. They reside in the north though (around New Delhi) and the report doesn't say where in India these complaints came from.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Vok: My point is a country which has nuclear power plants and terrorists who just leave grenades and bombs lying around undetected should be more concerned with other things than some cartoon brat.
infinitebeauty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU: And I am pretty sure that Vok's point was that there are different parts of the Indian government. We don't ask the FCC to go after terrorists, and we don't as the FBI to decide what counts as an appropriate children's show. In India, I'm guessing the separations of government are very similar. This article only made the news here because it pertains to this community. It isn't like the entire country is buzzing about it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU, in light of the terrorist attacks, the reason we're hearing about this news is because it is anime related. Whether it's India or not, the show has been banned in the country. I see no relevance to your statement about the terrorist attacks, although they are a most unfortunate event, rest in peace to those who perished and my condolences to the families of the victims.

Getting to what I wanted to say in the first place, this is a matter of culture. One thing I'm curious about though, is that if a mother was parents were complaining, does that the mean that air times of the show was during primetime, or when children had somewhat easy access to the show? If it was being shown in latenight slots then there would be an issue, but if they were showing it at a time when children are not normally asleep, then parents are in the right to complain and there is reason to remove the show.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The National Confederation of Parent-Teacher Associations for Japan announced in 2007 that Crayon Shin-chan was #3 in its survey of programs that parents do not want to show children.

And yet, it's consistently one of the most popular television shows on Japanese television, and aimed towards a broad demographic.

If The National Confederation of Parent-Teacher Associations for Japan wants to do something constructive with their time, they might want to think about shaving down the name of their group. It takes nearly an entire line to read it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

If The National Confederation of Parent-Teacher Associations for Japan wants to do something constructive with their time, they might want to think about shaving down the name of their group. It takes nearly an entire line to read it.

And NCPTAJ doesn't roll off the tongue very easily, either.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
OMG SHIN-CHAN IS GOING TO MIND MELT THE CHILDREN OF INDIA!
Seriously can this crap get any more funny. But ya, these "ministries" should focus more on educating these kids. There is like over a BILLION people in India. Most these kids have to work to put food on the table for their families insted of going to school. But no, they see that Banning a show with some kids that has a ton of fart jokes is more important.

And for the Russians. Well thats self explanitory.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
What a gross affront to freedom of speech and the press!

Doesn't India's government realize that there is NO place for censorship in a free society? No matter what they do to stamp out the show, people will still watch it. (Fansubs and imports anyone?)

Negative impacts on kids caused by a TV show...what a load of bullshit! The asshats who banned Shin-Chan in Gandhi's homeland need to realize that it's just a cartoon. Totally fake. Not real. Made up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4