• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Leapt Through Time's Hosoda to Direct Summer Wars Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
That's an interesting mix of staff. As much as I can't call myself a fan of those films Takeshige has been involved with, if this is intended to be light-hearted then it should hopefully come together quite nicely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
It's pretty much the Girl Who Leapt Through Time Staff with a Ghibli staff member doing art direction, it's nothing to worry about.

Girl Who Leapt Through Time is my fav anime movie of the decade so I', really looking forward to this, character designs look nice.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
It's pretty much the Girl Who Leapt Through Time Staff with a Ghibli staff member doing art direction, it's nothing to worry about.

Agreed. Nothing to be concerned about in the slightest. I am very much looking forward to Summer Wars. It's bound to be good, given the staff involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
If Summer Wars is anything close or better than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (TokiKake), then Hosada will be catapulted even further up my list of favorite directors. The fact that he's re-teaming with the same studio and staff from TokiKake is enough to get me interested. Maybe the NY International Children's Fest will screen this film too as they did TokiKake. Can't wait!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Maybe the NY International Children's Fest will screen this film too as they did TokiKake. Can't wait!

I wouldn't think so, since it's described as an action film.

I hope I can see this in a theater at some point though. The staff certainly suggests a good movie.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
If Summer Wars is anything close or better than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (TokiKake), then Hosada will be catapulted even further up my list of favorite directors. The fact that he's re-teaming with the same studio and staff from TokiKake is enough to get me interested. Maybe the NY International Children's Fest will screen this film too as they did TokiKake. Can't wait!

Now that Hosada seems attached to Madhouse I'm sure he will go down as one of the greatest anime directors if he keeps up his high standards from so far. His Peggy Sue project with Gonzo got cancelled according to french blogger Manuloz but I'll take Madhouse and Summer Days over Peggy Sue and Gonzo....

Here's a pic of Summer Days from 2ch btw from Manuloz's website

http://www.manganimation.net/news/2008/12/newtype-news-mamoru-hosoda-summer-wars-x-basquash/
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME.

That said, so like... there wasn't friction with ALL of the Ghibli staff?

That's nice to hear.

*I remember reading over ani-pages daily how Ghibli locked Hosoda out of the production process during his stint for Howl's Moving Castle over like... creative and political issues... at least, that's how I remember it being told*

That said, Cal Animage Alpha is screening Hosoda's movie [The Girl Who Leapt Through Time] over at UC Berkeley for free; might as well plug it in here since it never made it to the front page (probably wasn't news worthy enough, which is too bad since Bandai went through the trouble of giving our club a free copy to screen to the public).

Location: room 2040 over at the Valley Life Sciences building
Time: 8-10 PM
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
AWESOME.

That said, so like... there wasn't friction with ALL of the Ghibli staff?

That's nice to hear.

*I remember reading over ani-pages daily how Ghibli locked Hosoda out of the production process during his stint for Howl's Moving Castle over like... creative and political issues... at least, that's how I remember it being told*

Well I'm sure whatever happened with Howl's Moving Castle probably had nothing to do with the art director working on this. Shame Ghibli let him go, since Hosoda is clearly more talented than Miyazaki's son...
nobinobita

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

Girl Who Leapt Through Time is my favorite anime movie of the decade so I', really looking forward to this, character designs look nice.

If you guys like Hosada's work you should try to find the original version of Digimon Hurricane Touchdown. It is a really really great kids film.

I saw it on a transcontinental flight years ago! I thought it'd be just a fun kids animation, but i was in tears by the end of it (it was an odd experience weeping over a Digimon movie surrounded by strangers on a plane).

Look it up! It's really worth it! I believe you might find the entire thing subbed on youtube.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
For the movie idea, why am I thinking this new movie is like "Crayon Shinchan: The Battle of the Warring States"? You know, like whole family going back feudal Japan. Wasn't there live action Japanese movie which featured modern Japanese going back to feudal Japan, released couple years ago?

I know that Hosoda is good director, but I hope he doesn't dabble too much on time travel stories.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
So, Tokikake Redux, staff-wise? Count me in.

Hosoda & Co. did a fantastic job with The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and it did very well in Japan, so I imagine there will be considerable hype going into this new film when it debuts there. The big issue is that hopefully it won't be compared too heavily with their previous work, as can often be the case with such "follow-up" films.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1