• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K-ON! Four-Panel School Comedy Manga to Get Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
This sounds an awful lot like the upcoming Taishō Yakyū Musume., just with music instead of baseball. Given the quite similar premises, I think I'll give K-ON! a look. I'm already planning to do just that with TYM after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
After almost a decade of being a fan of anime and manga, there is still some manga that confuses me.

Logically speaking, if you have no music skills or knowlege, its impossible without years of pratice to actually perform a well written song.

Unless this manga is solely based on the moe factor, the fact that it's almost impossible to become a experienced musician within one school year makes me think the moe is only factor that will be noticed.

Seriously, what is next, a group of high school students that apply to be doctors, but don't even have the slightest bit of medical knowledge?
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unless this manga is solely based on the moe factor, the fact that it's almost impossible to become a experienced musician within one school year makes me think the moe is only factor that will be noticed.
You, uh, appear to have forgotten comedy.
It IS possible to have a predominantly female cast without labelling the series a 'moe' series, you know. I wonder how long until someone writes an overly long treatise on how 'Gunsmith Cats' is a moe series.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
After almost a decade of being a fan of anime and manga, there is still some manga that confuses me.

Logically speaking, if you have no music skills or knowlege, its impossible without years of pratice to actually perform a well written song.

Seriously, what is next, a group of high school students that apply to be doctors, but don't even have the slightest bit of medical knowledge?
Actually there are some people who are naturally gifted with music and learn very fast. I knew a few, who were able to learn quite a few songs on piano in less than a year and another person who was able to write a pretty awesome song on guitar in about half a year or learning. They did have teachers and wern't teaching themselves like most people do, but it's still possible.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
kakfly's K-ON! four-panel manga

On the cover of the manga in the article it says kakifly. Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Actually there are some people who are naturally gifted with music and learn very fast. I knew a few, who were able to learn quite a few songs on piano in less than a year and another person who was able to write a pretty awesome song on guitar in about half a year or learning. They did have teachers and wern't teaching themselves like most people do, but it's still possible.

Granted there are prodigies and such, realistically speaking, if one can't even read a music score, how can one save a music club and give a well done peformance? Also, the people you listed had teachers, there isn't any information about the cast in the manga having professional aide.

Though I have a feeling this will just be another moe based manga.
bleuster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Granted there are prodigies and such, realistically speaking, if one can't even read a music score, how can one save a music club and give a well done peformance? Also, the people you listed had teachers, there isn't any information about the cast in the manga having professional aide.

Though I have a feeling this will just be another moe based manga.
I never learned how to read music and went on to preform at my high school's classical guitar recital three years in a row. It can happen. You just got to believe in yourself.

That said, I'm going to check this out. Is there any way to add this to ANN's database?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
You can usually play quite decently within even a few weeks, though it depends on the instrument, many simple songs can be easily learned. I was able to play the pink panther on clarinet after only 6 months, and I barely practiced.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

While there is a high chance of the moe factor being fairly prominent, I'm not overly worried. It is a comedy, and even with largely female casts those can do quite well without the moe. Or with.

Now what continues to confuse me is why people apply logical thought to the premise of a comedy manga...
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
realistically speaking, if one can't even read a music score, how can one save a music club and give a well done peformance?

Reading music is overrated. As long as know how to read books you can translate the notes. That makes the solution is simple. All you then have to do then is memorize the notes and practice. After a bit of practice you should even be able to retain whole songs in motion memory.

That is what I did when I was learning acoustic guitar. That is, before I ultimately lost interest after a year or so.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
Oh, and on that note (pun not intended, I swear): when I was learning the guitar in high school, I couldn't read music either... I was taught almost entirely using tablature, and never did get the hang of reading proper music score. It is definitely possible to get by without being able to read music.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:39 am Reply with quote
I think Jedi General is confused. There are a lot of anime and manga that often borrow concepts from other successful series. What's so strange about that?

The thing about anime is that it's a good anime based on its own merits. I'll probably end up checking it out because it does sound interesting.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Oh, and on that note (pun not intended, I swear): when I was learning the guitar in high school, I couldn't read music either... I was taught almost entirely using tablature, and never did get the hang of reading proper music score. It is definitely possible to get by without being able to read music.

Most traditions of guitar aren't well-suited to being written in conventional western notation. Same's true of most fretted instruments, acutually; the relationships between chord fingerings, even arpeggios, and the dots on the stave are too abstracted to make things easy. Classical/baroque lute music is always written in tab, too. Me, the instrument I can't play is the mandolin, which has a repertoire much better suited to conventional notation [... because most of it was stolen from the violin...]

Anyway. You should be able to perform recognisable pieces of music within a couple of weeks tops, if you're doing it properly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1