• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Killing Suspect Says He Is a Precure, Kitarō Fan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
Pretty Cure and Murder seems like such an odd combination to see together...
hara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
Hooray for animefans being spotlighted as children killing freaks. Oh, and he likes non-Japanese movies as well so I guess that makes him not very different from many other harmless people.

I wonder if he ate sushi the day he presumely killed the young girl.
That would stigmatize all sushi eaters as potential murderers, too, wouldn't it?
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
'His resume listed "music appreciation, reading, and karaoke" as his interests.'

No "film" and "computer science?" Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
strahl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:10 am Reply with quote
who cares what he rented, what he liked or what brand of coffe he used to drink, the guy is a nut, he murders people, who cares what is he blaming to get away with it.

People that goes on murder rampages are just that, no need to blame pieces of entertainment, manga is not a threat to the world..nor Videogames..again with a sensationalist line "OHHH and he read manga too...!! maybe I will murder people too eventually"

Geez...
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quote
Here we go... blame entertainment. Yes, it made just as much sense when Tipper Gore said rap music should be censored. That was I guess before we found out she was on drugs.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Um, as far as I know there is only ONE Pretty Cure manga compilation, ONE Pretty Cure fanbook, and ONE Pretty Cure 5 artbook that have ever been made... Pretty darn thin if he had bookcases of manga - if had ALL 3 of them, that would be literally a needle in a haystack...

Even if they expanded that to include all the Pretty Cure doshinji done, there STILL are not that many... maybe 20 in all... and most of those are for YES! Pretty Cure 5!
SeiyuuOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
"Guy suspected for pretty cruel 5 killing"
bleuster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
This would be something if he committed the cruel act dressed like Kitarō, clogs and all, and said he did it to impress Nagisa. Yeah, that would stir and shake up the fans a bit, but this is another story of a man not all there in the head to put on the side column.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only one confused by this "news". It's sort of like posting on a Starwars site about a murder who stabbed someone to feath but also happens to be a George Lucan fan and owns a toy lightsabre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Um, as far as I know there is only ONE Pretty Cure manga compilation, ONE Pretty Cure fanbook, and ONE Pretty Cure 5 artbook that have ever been made... Pretty darn thin if he had bookcases of manga - if had ALL 3 of them, that would be literally a needle in a haystack...

Even if they expanded that to include all the Pretty Cure doshinji done, there STILL are not that many... maybe 20 in all... and most of those are for YES! Pretty Cure 5!

I'm pretty sure that Pretty Cure is only even mentioned because he stated that he likes it.

Anyway, the media has apparently pointed out that he's fond of lots of non-anime and non-manga entertainment too, so to make a nice change this isn't just another round of demonising anime fans. Or doesn't seem to be at the moment, at least.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote
For people confused about the news, there's a huge stigma about otaku in Japan largely due to the fact that many child killers and pedophiles who've gotten media attention turned out to be (or at least were claimed by the media to be) otaku. Tsutomu Miyazaki, a man who molested, murdered and partially ate four little girls was nicknamed "the otaku murderer" (nevermind that he had no interest in anime outside of hentai).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Do remember that "otaku" doesn't refer exclusively to anime fans, but to anyone with an obsession taken to unhealthy levels.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Do remember that "otaku" doesn't refer exclusively to anime fans, but to anyone with an obsession taken to unhealthy levels.

True, though it's ordinarily only used to to refer to obsession with anime/manga/games. The case with Miyazaki included.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
wangyamaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
Once again another "blame the anime/manga companys for the cause" report.Just like i remember the kid who killed him self for acting like gara. Mad This will all be just cruel if the murderer is doing this because he wants to act like the characters in precure (which i dont think thats possible on the count of they are magical girls not killers,kind of).
And just maybe they might cut off precure on tv for a while because of this,because thats what they do sometimes when stuff like this happens(take pokemon for example-they cut it off for weeks because kids jumped off a building hopeing a charizard will fly by and save them) .And in the end they all blame it on anime entertainment,would I say this is right or worng.
Sentire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

Anyway, the media has apparently pointed out that he's fond of lots of non-anime and non-manga entertainment too, so to make a nice change this isn't just another round of demonising anime fans. Or doesn't seem to be at the moment, at least.

Per the article, only one of the papers mentioned his interest in entertainment outside of anime and magna. Sad

It is my understanding that "otaku" is used more broadly in Japan for anyone with an unhealthy obsession, but outside of Japan it is more ordinarily used in reference to anime, manga, and games. Is that inaccurate?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6