• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Dead Souls

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
I was just playing Taisen columns the other day on my Saturn.I feel old.

Anyway,I still don't see the appeal of Valkyrie Profile on any system? VP was a snore fest to me.Well,DS fans = enjoy.

Can't wait to get RE5,despite the arcady feel/look of it.2player co-op......oooo,scary.

Great article Todd.
uragayduck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:22 am Reply with quote
i can't believe it, a Sakura Taisen product got mentioned in an American column. of all the Sakura Taisen games i own, this is the only one that slipped my collection and for some odd reason haven't bothered to snag it up yet. funny how this series hasn't even gotten a mention especially since Sakura Taisen V got a 38/40 from Famitsu. yeah that's right.....a dating sim/strategy game beat out about 70% of the other genres scored by them. probably the highest ranking dating sim game from them too (don't quote me on that).
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Last week saw the arrival of the first Resident Evil 5 demo, an event that would merit much praise here if it hadn't been restricted to Japan's Xbox Live network. Yes, you can play it in North America with a bit of jury-rigging that I probably shouldn't explain on a respectable site like this, but I find it strange that we should be forced to use such measures. After all, hasn't Resident Evil, despite being born and bred in Japan, always been more popular in the West? The first game was released in the U.S. a mere week after it hit Japan, and Resident Evil 2 stunned many by showing up in North America a month prior to its Japanese release.

Capcom's still wary of the backlash over the recent "artistic" decision to have the zombies wear black-face. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
The battles dress up a Xenogears-style interface with an attack-linking system

Hopefully, it'll be a better system than the one we got stuck with in Legend of Legaia.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
World Destruction is still very high on my list, though it worries me what I heard from importers about Masato Kato being forced to dumb down the narrative to attract the mainstream gamers who couldn't keep up with Xenogears' plot. The impression that I also got from checking JP gamers' reviews is very mixed regarding the gameplay. I hope that I'll personally end up enjoying it, though.

The character design for this game is indeed not one of Tanaka's best stuff and could have been better. The music, from what I heard so far sounds to be one of Mitsuda's best works, I'll definitely purchase the soundtrack along with the game when it gets released.

As for the latest VP, my bad memories of Silmeria and how it was devoid from all the things that made Lenneth the masterpiece that it was are still haunting me. I'm not quite sure if I'll ever want to play another VP or a game made by TA for that matter. Now, if they'll release a game starring Hrist that will be another story.
e-imi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
Maria is Russian.
Kouran is Chinese.
Kanna is from Kansai.

Laughing
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
As for the latest VP, my bad memories of Silmeria and how it was devoid from all the things that made Lenneth the masterpiece that it was are still haunting me. I'm not quite sure if I'll ever want to play another VP or a game made by TA for that matter. Now, if they'll release a game starring Hrist that will be another story.

I didn't play VP until Lenneth was released on the PSP and VP2 came out, around the same time. I was impressed with the visuals in VP2, but wound up putting it down when some other better RPG came out, and Lenneth just couldn't hold my interest at all, aside from the interesting battle system. As for Tri-Ace bashing, I have to abstain. They've made one too many other games/series that I've enjoyed, whether under -Ace or -Crescendo. The upcoming Star Ocean 4 being one I'm really looking forward to. I just hope they don't link the special attacks to your HP like they did in SOtET. That was a major creative failure, imho.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:41 am Reply with quote
In news that broke a few minutes after this column went up, I should point out that Dragon Quest X was just announced for the Wii. That's an X as in "ten," not as in "Mega Man spin-off."

e-imi wrote:
Maria is Russian.
Kouran is Chinese.
Kanna is from Kansai.

This is true. Of course, what I wrote in the column is also true, as the Ukraine was part of Russia for most of the 20th century and Kouran speaks with a Kansai dialect in spite of her Chinese extraction.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
Ah! So many reasons to go broke!

I'll be picking up Person 4 today in any event (couldn't get to the store yesterday), and I'm considering getting a God of War PSP and the Valkyrie Profile remake is at the top of my lists of reasons to get a PSP (and I'd pick up the PS2 sequal/prequal thing too)
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
e-imi wrote:
Maria is Russian.
Kouran is Chinese.
Kanna is from Kansai.

At least in the anime, Kanna is from Okinawa.

The Sakura Taisen Columns game looks cute, but only for those who already know and like the characters. I suppose we'll never see a US release of any of the Sakura Taisen games. Sad
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
Strangely, some of the Sakura Taisen games came out in Russia. In Russian too.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
After all, the game's already lost the attention of Resident Evil creator Shiki Mikami, who refuses to play it now that he and the series aren't seeing each other.

It's actually Shinji Mikami.

GATSU wrote:
Capcom's still wary of the backlash over the recent "artistic" decision to have the zombies wear black-face.

Please stop trying to start something, GATSU. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Another good column as usual.

Glad to hear more word on 'World of Destruction'. Really looking to hear more on this game. Tanaka and Mitsuda back together again, oh that makes me glad. Love 'Mitsuda's music and 'Tanaka's character designs. Didn't know he was involved. Gotta take a closer look.

Hoo boy, what's a 'Kamen no Maid Guy' game without some "boobies" flying. It's cute. Sadly, I will admit to liking the show.
Chances of the game coming over... "Ku-ku-ku~!!"

Didn't know that 'Sakura Wars' had a columns game. Well, both properties are 'Sega' so hey.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm looks like the new Valk Profile game has some sweet and sour points. Being a fan of the series and not being an owner of a DS, I can only hope this new game will interest enough fans so they work on a Hrist-centered game (come on, she was the badass Valkyrie).
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
My first introduction to Valkyrie Profile was an impulse buy of the PSP version. I was blown away, but the outdated dub was TERRIBLE. (And I'm a dub fan.) It was dubbed by the entire original Pokemon cast! Mad Silmeria had a great dub, but lost site of what made the first so great. I hope VP: DS won't disappoint me.
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Valkyrie Profile was Hamlet typed by monkeys, and that doesn't happen twice.

So very true. Though I had to read that comment twice before it made sense. Anime smile + sweatdrop At first I was like, "Hey! The game's way better than that!" Then the light bulb clicked on over my head. "Oh."
I get it now. Thanks for messing with my mind. lol Smile
Great article, as always.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2