• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tsumiki no Ie, Piano Forest, Kaiba Win Media Arts Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aikoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that Nodame Cantabile was on the recommendations list, and even though it didn't win anything, I definitely think that Piano no Mori deserved the award because it's a fantastic manga about music.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
awesome. good to see Kaiba get the recognition it deserves.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. Kaiba is a true masterpiece, even just considering its animation style.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Why is Wii Fit one of the items highlighted in the precis?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Kaiba is a true masterpiece [...]

I disagree. While the series is indeed a visual and aural triumph--and certainly is deserving of winning awards based upon its brilliant technical merits alone--the plotting of the series collapsed on itself from episode 8 on. Had it stayed true to the decidedly smaller in scale and emotionally honest storytelling of the first seven episodes, we could have had a masterpiece. When the series almost completely changed directions is where it stumbled. The series aspired to be far too much, and ultimately resulted in being a bitter disappointment.

Still, I rated the series "Very Good" in the end. The wonderful imagination of the first 7 episodes and the superb technical merits make Kaiba an anime that can't be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

I disagree. While the series is indeed a visual and aural triumph--and certainly is deserving of winning awards based upon its brilliant technical merits alone--the plotting of the series collapsed on itself from episode 8 on. Had it stayed true to the decidedly smaller in scale and emotionally honest storytelling of the first seven episodes, we could have had a masterpiece. When the series almost completely changed directions is where it stumbled. The series aspired to be far too much, and ultimately resulted in being a bitter disappointment.

To each their own, I suppose. I found that segment of the series to be a fitting culmination of the small-scale story that had built upon itself from the beginning, and I thought it certainly more than did its job of drawing together the hints from the rest of the series into a cohesive story.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
I agree that Kaiba being one of the best shows, but I guess I'm the only one who's going to talking about "House of Small Cubes". My guess is that people didn't have chance to watch the film.
I watched" House of Small Cubes" last month at local animation festival and it was really wonderful animation film for adults and kids. Animation itself was like watching moving pastel illustration.
If anyone who lives metropolitan area with local film or animation festivals is going to be held, please check it out. I highly recommend it.

The accomplishment of Kaiba is that it maintained its artistic integrity while being commercial animation. Such feat is impossible to pull off in US. Is Canadians doing anything similar?
This is one of the reasons why I kept faith in Japanese animation industry and its creative minds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1