• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ayumi Hamasaki to Sing Live-Action Dragonball's Theme Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Jonasan: Their obligation to be as close to the source material as possible comes from the need to please the fans, so that the fans will support the final product. Unless you think that Batman and Robin movie is as sufficient as TDK. Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Michael Bay's Transformers adaptation didn't please many fans leading up to the release, but it became successful because the rest of mainstream America ignored those fans. Plus, Megan Fox is hot. (Yes folks, non-fans are actually turned on by humans, not robots.) Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol: On the contrary. Most of the fans didn't care about it being good as long as it was a Transformers movie, because they'll buy anything, including Beast Wars toys and dvds. It's kind of like how otaku don't care if a show is good, as long as it piles on the moe. Rolling Eyes Anime fans, though, have a little more sentimentality towards their adaptations, since they're not just in it for the merchandise.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol: On the contrary. Most of the fans didn't care about it being good as long as it was a Transformers movie,

Not what I heard from many old-skool Transformers fans, of which I am one. I heard so many prognostications how it'll be a bomb, how many TF fans will stay away, how it's not even like the Transformers, etc. Then the movie came out. The movie changed the landscape when fans try to prognosticate again. Surprised

(Personally, I don't think Dragonball will be that big a hit. But then, I don't trust fan prognostications as much. Wink )

TF fans are just like any other fans, including anime and Dragonball fans. They all have their own emotional investments about their shows, although TF one is tinted a bit by nostalgia. </shrug>
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote
enurtsol: The old-school fans are the ones who think the show stopped with Headmasters. The regular fans could care less about each new series. You can tell the difference, since the people in the former category go as far as cosplaying as those mechs and attending Stan Bush concerts, while those in the latter category tend to be those hipsters who wear shirts with those Autobot/Decepticon logos. The latter group is the one which made that effer successful.

I imagine there's a similar division with DB fans: Those who started from the manga's inception, and those who got into the show through Z. People in the latter category also tend to overlook FUNi's recent awful transfers. So I'm assuming FOX is banking on their stupidity to sell the flick here.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Michael Bay's Transformers adaptation didn't please many fans leading up to the release, but it became successful because the rest of mainstream America ignored those fans. Plus, Megan Fox is hot. (Yes folks, non-fans are actually turned on by humans, not robots.) Laughing

Thank goodness too. I was getting tired of people ranting off about how the movie was going to suck, and then it actually came out. I too was an old school fan of the series, I was watching it when I was five. Frankly I didn't give a damn about what they were doing to Transformers, I still don't care what they did to it to change it. All I know is that I went and paid ten bucks to watch a kick-ass movie. As with your views I also don't think DB will be that great, but I am rather enthusiastic about watching it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4