• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Do you give English dubs a chance?

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odekerk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I usually just watch whatever is available to me.

If I download it, I just get the sub, but if I buy it I watch the dub.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
As the horror of '80s dubbing is thankfully behind us, I usually go with the dubs. I know some people have sworn them off due to the atrocious dubs that companies like Manga gave us back in the day, but things have gotten much, much better.

Besides, most companies produce dubs that are at least tolerable these days; unless there's some third-string dubbing group out there, I don't think there've been a lot of truly puketastic English dubs.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll usually flick between the dub and the sub in the first episode, and then choose my preference and stick with it for the full series. This usually means I end up watching the sub, but in most cases I'll see the other version on a rewatch - unless the second choice was atrociously bad.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
If I'm watching it online, then it's probably going to only be in sub format, however if I bought it on dvd, I'll just end up watching the dub version, since if I'm like, doing stuff around my room I can focus on it, but then not have to concentrate on the subs, you know? Also I'm always curious to see how the dub's like in the first place, sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's not. I still like to give the actors(resses?) a chance, since they hopefully worked hard on it Smile

Edit: Though it's always nice if a provider who doesn't feel like dubbing the show releases it with just subtitles (aka the upcoming Gakuen Alice from Rightstuf, well I know it's selling from there other than amazon) Though it won't have an English dub, I'm super excited to get it--

bottom line, as long as I get my favorites somehow, I'll be a happy camper Smile

Last edited by Mistypearl on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I rarely, rarely will watch or even try the dub. The only time I do is if it obviously takes place in America or an English speaking country and I want to see if I can bear watching it. So far, the answer has been, "No."

The only one so far that I might have seriously given a chance would've been Emma, and then only if they had gotten a good British cast, not Americans trying to pull off a British accent.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Odekerk wrote:
I usually just watch whatever is available to me.

If I download it, I just get the sub, but if I buy it I watch the dub.

I'm the same way. I like watching anime both ways, but I do prefer dubs. Even so, it's all based upon what's available. If there is a dub available, I'll go out of my way to watch the dub. Well, as long as the dub isn't "REALLY horrible" anyway. Also, if I watch the dub first, I seldom go back and watch subbed. It's the opposite when I watch subbed first, however, as I'll often go back and watch the dub at some point.

Last edited by Jedi General on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The dub. Not reading or understanding spoken Japanese makes it a necessity for me. Why would I distract myself with subtitles thus missing out on the animation and flow of the story trying to read and watch at the same time? So, dub. Though there are the rare but worthy exceptions when there is no dub ... like Emma, Aria, and Bincho-Tan.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
There is only one series whose dub has impressed me, therefore I will watch only that particular series in dub. Other than that, I never bother to check out any of the other series that I might have in dub. It will always be raw.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I rarely, rarely will watch or even try the dub. The only time I do is if it obviously takes place in America or an English speaking country and I want to see if I can bear watching it. So far, the answer has been, "No."

The only one so far that I might have seriously given a chance would've been Emma, and then only if they had gotten a good British cast, not Americans trying to pull off a British accent.

That's roughly my stance. I watched Armitage III dubbed as I considered it more appropriate for the characters to speak English. I cannot say I was really impressed though.
I'll agree with you about Emma. It requires a dub, and not one of the Hellsing type.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes, an anime dub feels a bit "rough" for the first few episodes which can turn some people off, but as a typically dub-only kind of guy, I find that oftentimes the actors get more comfortable and commanding with their roles as the series goes on, making the characters their own and turning what started out a bit uneven around the edges into a well-acted series.

Also, the shows that are usually aired on CN or other channels typically have quality dubs precisely because they're being snapped up for broadcasts right off the bat.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Mistypearl wrote:
If I'm watching it online, then it's probably going to only be in sub format, however if I bought it on dvd, I'll just end up watching the dub version, since if I'm like, doing stuff around my room I can focus on it, but then not have to concentrate on the subs, you know? Also I'm always curious to see how the dub's like in the first place, sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's not. I still like to give the actors(resses?) a chance, since they hopefully worked hard on it Smile

Edit: Though it's always nice if a provider who doesn't feel like dubbing the show releases it with just subtitles (aka the upcoming Gakuen Alice from Rightstuf, well I know it's selling from there other than amazon) Though it won't have an English dub, I'm super excited to get it--

bottom line, as long as I get my favorites somehow, I'll be a happy camper Smile

pretty much this. Most things I watch I see in sub format first, but when I go out and buy the dvds I'll always listen to the dub option even if the acting cast isn't all too good (kaleido star anyone?). But I'm always curious to see how it sounds in english.

kyokun703 wrote:

Emma has a dub? I thought it was released sub only?
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Sometimes, an anime dub feels a bit "rough" for the first few episodes which can turn some people off, but as a typically dub-only kind of guy, I find that oftentimes the actors get more comfortable and commanding with their roles as the series goes on, making the characters their own and turning what started out a bit uneven around the edges into a well-acted series.

Also, the shows that are usually aired on CN or other channels typically have quality dubs precisely because they're being snapped up for broadcasts right off the bat.

This is most certainly not true. I believe some of the worst dubs I've ever heard have been the ones broadcasted on cable networks such as CN, on at times with wide kiddy appeal. The only tv aired stuff that's been pretty good as far as the voice acting goes has been the stuff shuffled off to adult-swim on at time slots when no ones awake.

Last edited by kakoishii on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Emma IS sub-only, and that's one of the reasons I'm hesitant: it just doesn't feel right to have a show set in Europe (England in particular) without English acting.
LuckySeven

Well, considering that some of my earliest anime viewing (though I didn't know it was anime back then) were shows like Battle of the Planets, Speed Racer, Star Blazers, Tranzor Z, Voltron, and probably a few others I can't think of the names at the moment; Its not like there was really a choice in the matter. Its what I grew up with, so honestly, watching an anime in the original Japanese with subtitles is different than what I'm used to. Now do I actually care for subs or dubs more? No I can't say that I choose one over the other. I do watch English dubs more simply because as I said before, its what I'm used to. Others might think I prefer dubs, but I think that's because I rarely if ever watch any sort of fan subbed anime series, I prefer my anime in legal ways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
butterfly.disaster

For me, it's almost always the sub. I will usually give the dub a chance if it's easily accessible to me, but more often than not I dislike the voice s of the actors/actresses. It's also helpful in learning Japanese, and
I tend to pick up, for better or worse, phrases and words.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
If it's a show that I haven't seen before in Japanese, I watch it in Japanese with subtitles as a default, and check the dub later. If it's a show I've already seen in Japanese, I immediately go for the dub, out of curiosity and convenience. If the dub is poor, I switch back. If it's good, I alternate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11