• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gunbusted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Let me put in the word that I didn't care for Le Chevalier d'Eon. It wasn't a waste of time watching or anything, I just borrowed the first DVD from my public library and didn't find it really interesting enough to continue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes, more Le Chevalier D'Eon love! I think I read a review somewhere, heard (more like read) some people talking about it, and now Netflix can't ship it to me fast enough. Heck, I was waiting for volume 3 when rightstuf started their huge bargin bin sale and I snapped up volumes 1, 4, and 6 for $5 apiece and the artbox for $7 (I just wouldn't open them until I finished the series so I could re-sell them later if I had to). And I am just loving it, especially the art, it looks almost realistic by anime standards and it works out so well. More people need to see this.

Just as a question though, do you usually watch the dub or sub of the anime you review (assuming the anime has a dub)?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Granted Karin isn't the best series out there, I think this series more than shelf worthing. Though the fanservice is really the only flaw with this series. The manga version of Karin is much better though, especially the later volumes.

Though a teen comedy is a accuarate description of this series, I'd like to think a modern day vampire comedy would also be a valid description as well. Despite the fact Karin is availible on Netflix (which I am a member of and have been for several years now), I initially bought this series back when Geneon was still around last year.

After Funimation rescued Karin, I began purchase the volumes again. Rarely ever will I ever actually buy dvds, but Karin had shown promise even in volume 1. The English dub, among other reasons why I have enjoyed this series so much. The voices match the characters perfectly.

Sixty dollars isn't that much for a dvd, the Deluxe boxset of Lucky Star averages ninety dollars at most dvd stores I've been to. Since I rent Lucky Star via Neflix, there would be no point in continuing this series by dvd though. I did buy the first volume though, just to see how good the series is.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed.
animem@ster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Snap! That's a lot of Kare Kano. I've been looking for ages for just the first one! Shocked
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I imagine Air Gear would do the best with kids of both genders somewhere between the ages of 12 and 18. Maybe 12 to 16. Probably the same kind of people who watch Camp Rock while reading Twilight during the commercial breaks.

I take enormous offense to the notion that I would ever read Twilight.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Miss Self Obsessed appears to be a Death the Kid cosplayer! That automatically scores cool points with me.

Not to mention the shelf is reeeally impressive. Definitely puts my collection to shame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Quote:
I imagine Air Gear would do the best with kids of both genders somewhere between the ages of 12 and 18. Maybe 12 to 16. Probably the same kind of people who watch Camp Rock while reading Twilight during the commercial breaks.

I take enormous offense to the notion that I would ever read Twilight.

I am currious why, most of the articles I've read about it are usually postive. I've even read a article about it in the Arizona Repbulic (A newspaper in my residence). Frankly, if I may be so bold, I don't see anything that special about this series.

If I really wanted to read/watch something about vampires, I'd pick Karin/Chibi Vampire. But normally, I am not usually into the whole vampire gene.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you look on the top shelf of my largest collection, you will notice that it consists of mostly Yaoi, this is my mothers favorite shelf ( just don't let Dad know).

AHA! No wonder Harry Potter (pic 2) sold so well spoiler[... and yes, I know she meant the other shelf]. It would also go to explaining Radcliff's more recent works.

One of these days I need to get around to finishing Le Chevalier D'Eon (and Air Gear for that matter, though reading ahead in the manga won't help the motivation any) but wasn't horrifyingly impressed from the first few episodes sacrificed up to VOD.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Sixty dollars isn't that much for a dvd, the Deluxe boxset of Lucky Star averages ninety dollars at most dvd stores I've been to.

Whoah, what stores are YOU going into? O_O They have a MSRP of $49.98 ($64.98 for volume 1)... but Best buy has them for $35 ($55 for vol 1) :/

Sixty dollars IS a lot for JUST a DVD. The Lucky Star boxes come with shirts and CDs. The Gunbuster set seems to just be DVDs... ones that a lot of us have already bought -_- So, considering you can go out and buy a 26 episode series thinpack for under $50, I can see how this Gunbuster set seems to lose its value XD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skyechan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I spy with my little eye a Soul Eater cosplayer. Specifically Kid. Niiiiiiiice. Very Happy

Awesome shelves.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Definitely not worth the price. Gunbuster is one of my favorite OVA series, but the artificially high Japanese prices keeps my from purchasing it. A realistic price, given age and lack of an english dub should place a boxset for either series at $30 MSRP, for the DVDs. I guess $50-60 for BD, but again, I'm not overpaying for anime, no matter how much I like it.

That makes two of us. **screenfives**

Why do the Japanese DVDs have to be so goddamn high anyway? You'd think with the exchange rates that the elevens would pay LESS for their anime than we do, considering it's already made there! (I understand Blu-Ray is a new format and all, and Japan and America are in the same Blu-Ray region, but still, why must they pay such obscene prices?)

Le Chevalier D'Eon: I've seen the first twelve eps of it on YouTube, and it's one of those shows that just sucks you in and doesn't let go, sleep, work, or school be damned. Considering how much I liked what I saw, that box set's gonna be mine now!

Kanon: I see you've put a review for vol. 6, Bamboo (Is that REALLY your name or just an alias?). Now, if FUNi will release a box set for it soon so I don't have to hunt down the ADV-released discs (In case there's any unsold copies of those left) first...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brettlv5506

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:
I bought the Gunbuster bluray set for $60 brand new at best buy. i think it is worth it. I also thought that Gunbuster looked amazing on blu ray, way better than what i had remembered. I say if you like the movies an you have a job then go get it. $60 aint that much money guys.

Apparently you live at home with mommy and have no expenses. The movies are the same exact thing as the series except condensed, which is goddamned pointless.

no i have a law degree and my own house. not everyone is as pathetic as you.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Gee, does anyone else besides me think that Christy M. is going way too over board with all the anime stuff she has? I mean it is cool to have a lot but not that much...
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:
Gee, does anyone else besides me think that Christy M. is going way too over board with all the anime stuff she has? I mean it is cool to have a lot but not that much...

... have you been paying attention to any of the previous Shelf Obsessed segments? Her collection is impressive, but hardly unique in its magnitude (see recent examples like THIS ONE, or THIS ONE, or even THIS ONE) :O

Last edited by evilnekohilda on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Kuroki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Nerv1 wrote:

She's been collecting since 98. That's more than a decade worth of stuff. Besides, did you see last week's, THAT was insane.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4