• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iconoclast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
I love this series. Balsa has to be the best representation of a strong female in anime I've EVER seen. You just don't see a lot of characters like her. I'm excited to be able to buy the show. I was waiting for it's release on DVD for quite some time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this show - it put the final seal on my belief that Kamiyama Kenji = God. It's outright beautiful to look at AND genuinely compelling, two things one doesn't see together as much as he might like. Definitely going to buy this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
mm, my dad was up early when episode 10 was on Adult Swim, and he stayed up and watched it, and enjoyed it. This series is truly, truly good. I just need Adult Swim to get back to showing new episodes...!!

And yes, Balsa is the best female lead I've ever seen.
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
I've been watching it on Adult Swim, and I think it's great. It's beautifully animated, and I love that it has an amazing female character...and that she's fully clothed. For once "ass kicking female" does not mean "skank." She's quiet, strong, and amazing with a spear. The voice acting is well done, too.

I'm glad it got bumped up to a semi-decent time slot (and it's right after Bleach, which also helps) so more people will get a chance to see it.
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
This show was available in Germany before the US, and the first volume is pretty cool - I'm currently lacking the money for more, but next year I will see more of Moribito Very Happy
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
Didn't review the Two Pack, eh? Not that it matters, as a review of the Two Pack would more than likely have gotten the same well-deserved "A" grades across the board anyway. Smile

Based upon the first 10 episodes of the [adult swim] broadcast, I just can't believe how utterly enthralling Moribito is. I did watch the first 11 episodes fansubbed last year, mind you, but back then I foolishly allowed myself to become detached from the show and did not continue. I'm kicking myself now for not realizing back then just how good this show really is.

I adore Moribito's musical score. Major props go to Kenji Kawai, as I've since become a huge fan of his thanks to Moribito (and Gundam 00). I actually prefer listening to my Kenji Kawai soundtracks over Yoko Kanno (gasp!) nowadays, but I digress.

Getting back to the show itself; there's no question that it's an absolute feast for the eyes. It has simply breathtaking artistry, exciting, superbly executed action sequences, an engaging story, and endearing characters to boot. Balsa is quickly becoming one of my all time favorites. The show is pure win in every single aspect - I just can't get enough. Mid-January (when new episodes start airing again) just refuses to get here fast enough.

Last edited by Jedi General on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
Gonna have echo Iconoclast on this one. Balsa didn't fall into the usual pitfalls that strong female characters often do. Not too mention that Balsa, and just about everyone else's development were so deliciously entertaining to watch. It's great how one of the most mature series to come out of 2007 was based off a set of older children/teenage books.

Production IG deserves it's accolades for the job they did animating Seirei. The scenic pans were one thing, the extra mile was made animating the backgrounds, such as the marketplace at night while Balsa and Tanda were having a meal, which made everything that much more atmospheric.

Good to hear the dub stands up well on its own . A real shame that YTV will likely never touch this series (nor will any other Canadian station).
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
(As of episode 10) It's enjoyable, but it's not all it's cracked up to be either. The show's only real faults so far are it's utterly awful CGI (which doesn't come up too much), and complete and total lack of charm. Other than that, I'm having a hard time faulting it.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
... complete and total lack of charm.

*jaw drops in disbelief*

Nani? You must be joking, right? I'm flabbergasted by that statement, as Moribito has charms aplenty. Seriously, that makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Unless, of course, you're not watching the same show as I. That's really the only logical explanation I can muster for you not finding Moribito to be charming in the slightest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
Iconoclast wrote:
I love this series. Balsa has to be the best representation of a strong female in anime I've EVER seen. You just don't see a lot of characters like her.

Josh7289 wrote:

Hmm.

Have you two test tube babies ever seen of Ghost in the Shell? More like...have you ever heard of it?

Cause I can pretty damn guarantee you...Balsa isn't a new kind of formula. And she's just a fraction of it at that...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
Moribito would be a lot better if they did more than talk in it. It's got some interesting characters but it feels like .hack//SIGN, it's so dull and repetetive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Anybody else notice that Moribito's Adult Swim broadcast seems to have audio issues??? I have to crank the volume WAY up to hear any of the speaking parts, I don't have the same problem with Bleach, Code Geass or any of the other shows?!? Is it because Moribito is being broadcast in 5.1, or is it just quiet??

Other than that, yup, the show is gorgeous! Also enjoyed Kenji Kawai's work here too, much as I do his soundtracks for both of the GitS movies. Also can't forget his work for Vampire Princess Miyu OVA & TV, the Miyu OVA was the first anime soundtrack I ever purchased Very Happy
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Awesome, I was just wondering when a review of this would show up. So Moribito does for fantasy what SAC did for sci-fi? I can't wait to watch the first two DVDs after I get back from my doctor's appointment, then Very Happy And I do believe I'll be watching Moribito in English, since it sounds like it's going to be a good one.
Isambard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:
I love this series. Balsa has to be the best representation of a strong female in anime I've EVER seen. You just don't see a lot of characters like her.

Josh7289 wrote:

Hmm.

Have you two test tube babies ever seen of Ghost in the Shell? More like...have you ever heard of it?

Cause I can pretty damn guarantee you...Balsa isn't a new kind of formula. And she's just a fraction of it at that...

True, there is the Major from Ghost in the Shell. But then again Balsa doesn't go into battle dressed like a dominatrix-style hooker.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:
Anybody else notice that Moribito's Adult Swim broadcast seems to have audio issues??? I have to crank the volume WAY up to hear any of the speaking parts, I don't have the same problem with Bleach, Code Geass or any of the other shows?!? Is it because Moribito is being broadcast in 5.1, or is it just quiet??

Yeah, I've been having the same problem. I'd have the volume turned all the way up, and yet I still would have trouble hearing it. So much so, that I'd have to turn off the air conditioning whenever I watched an episode. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to hear a thing. It's so darn annoying! Evil or Very Mad

penguintruth wrote:
... it's so dull and repetetive.

And again I say: Nani? Moribito isn't dull in the slightest. In fact, it's the exact opposite. It's spellbinding.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7