• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure Special Edition: Justin's Favorite Things

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
That was the funniest promo for M.D. Geist ever.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So now I have the best possible video track with gorgeous remastered video and the old muffled dub I just can't leave behind. Sadly, I've done this with a growing list of shows I love. Yes, I am a gigantic loser. No, you can't have a copy.

I'm sure a lot of people do that with the Streamline stuff.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Oh, Justin, what a way to help close out the year; drudging up a bunch of crazy stuff from yesteryear. You, sir, are certifiably awesome. Also, gimme some o' dat wine, dammit!

But feck, I remember hearing about Sushi TV from somewhere a long time ago. Man, the promo looked like it stuck to the old "LAWL JAPAN MAKES CARTOONS WITH TITS AND GORE!" thing. Rolling Eyes

I almost miss those days...almost.

EDIT: Speaking of tits, I wouldn't give a shit what kind of crap OVAs they would be airing, that babe was FINE.

Last edited by Unit 03.5-ish on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
Upon reading about the home-burned Patlabor DVD, I have to ask this: Why don't they use Manga UK to dub anime anymore?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Upon reading about the home-burned Patlabor DVD, I have to ask this: Why don't they use Manga UK to dub anime anymore?

Because you have to figure in travel expenses for the people who'd be going from Britain to the US or vice versa...not to mention that I doubt some of the UK actors get much work anymore...etc
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who loved the original Manga Entertainment dub of the Patlabor movies. Especially Peter Marinker as Captain Gotoh. Best voice ever. And that clip is my favorite part in the entire movie, aside from Shinobu meeting with Tsuge. That's why I refuse to replace the second movie DVD I have from Manga Entertainment with the newer one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, does anyone else think the guy talking in the pitch video for Project A-Ko sounds like a late-nite infomercial voice over guy...especially near the end?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
I was hoping that there would be a nod toward Anime18 and some their "interesting" choices. My condolences to Justin for having to work with stuff that looked as horrible as Mamma Mia did.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Because you have to figure in travel expenses for the people who'd be going from Britain to the US or vice versa...not to mention that I doubt some of the UK actors get much work anymore...etc

Couldn't they just as easily record online? Or just send the ADR drector and sound engineer overseas, do the recording, then bring the audio files back here to the States.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
My condolences for having to work on LA BLUE GIRL. As squicky as some modern tentacle rape crap is, that was one of the first big squickfests, and it makes me feel squicky to the squicking extreme.

Really, I'd lose my sanity if I had to work with that...

For the sake of wonderment, did CPM have a hand in licensing anything GOOD other than Lodoss?
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
For the sake of wonderment, did CPM have a hand in licensing anything GOOD other than Lodoss?

Utena~ :D At least I think so lol. There are actually a number of cool things CPM has had their hands on... LINK :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:59 am Reply with quote
Awesome, pure awesomeness. Why in the hell didn't Sushi TV get off of the ground? In My newb anime fan days(2002/2003-ish) I would have probably recorded that. Cool lol

Merry Christmas, Justin and Everyone else.
zhir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

They did the Area 88 OVAs and the Patlabor series.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
Oh and you can tell the vaguely-Asiatic babe (hell I can't tell what she is) really is forcing the lines out. It couldn't be more obvious that she was just there to collect the paycheck and didn't care 'bout them crazy foreign cartoons.

Funny how Adult Swim is basically what Sushi TV would have amounted to...
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
Ah, Mama Mia... My (secondhand) experience with this title is as thus: A few years ago I worked in the music/DVD section of a large Barnes & Nobles. An unknowing coworker (who probably rarely staffed that section of the store) had special-ordered this DVD for a customer. However, the customer was actually looking for a video of the musical Mamma Mia (this was years before the film, back when it was still a stageplay only and no DVD existed). Obviously the coworker hadn't looked very closely at the cover/description of the item before ordering. Luckily for us (the regular Music staff), the middle-aged woman who came in to pick up her special order had a great sense of humor and found the situation hilarious (although she passed on the hentai title Laughing). I sort of wonder if anyone else has made the same mistake since they released the film on DVD. What a difference an "m" can make...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6