• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Gunbusted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The movies are the same exact thing as the series except condensed, which is goddamned pointless.

I was wondering this and was surprised the review didn't mention it. This is a definite no sale if they're trimmed for a movie format. I'd rather get the OVAs individually than this mish mash.

My roommate bought both sets separately under the way expensive neigh Japanese prices of the Bandai Holdthemayonnaise line. I know these movies are classics, but anime is still niche. If I want to tell someone who's not already a huge fan how amazing Gunbuster or Wings of Honneamise is, I simply cannot reccomend these releases.

That there exists an equally expensive yet chopped up version of the Gunbuster series is a joke. I wish it was under 'perishable items'.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:47 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The movies are the same exact thing as the series except condensed, which is goddamned pointless.

I was wondering this and was surprised the review didn't mention it. This is a definite no sale if they're trimmed for a movie format. I'd rather get the OVAs individually than this mish mash.

My roommate bought both sets separately under the way expensive neigh Japanese prices of the Bandai Holdthemayonnaise line. I know these movies are classics, but anime is still niche. If I want to tell someone who's not already a huge fan how amazing Gunbuster or Wings of Honneamise is, I simply cannot reccomend these releases.

That there exists an equally expensive yet chopped up version of the Gunbuster series is a joke. I wish it was under 'perishable items'.

The only real differences I remember were that all the voice actors re-did the voice track (not important) and Diebuster had slightly more footage.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Oh, I'm familiar with Japan's practices with disc-based media; they charge ridiculous prices for DVDs that have two episodes and a few lousy extras each (and if I'm not mistaken they often don't have the luxury of boxed sets as we do). This is a country steeped in tradition, and if I remember correctly they took quite a while to go from VHS to DVD.

To be fair, Laser Discs were priced to own in Japan, so the retail price was actually LOWER than the VHS version, which was priced for rental stores, for higher quality audio and video. Still pricey for non-Japanese buyers, though, unless you get it used (and the LD isn't too rare).

Still have to get Gunbuster on DVD. Only pre-EVA Gainax I haven't watched yet. Honneamise will have to wait till we have an HDTV and a PS3, since I can't really justify buying a Blu-ray (or HD DVD)/DVD combo and not be able to watch the high-def version.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:03 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Honneamise will have to wait till we have an HDTV and a PS3, since I can't really justify buying a Blu-ray (or HD DVD)/DVD combo and not be able to watch the high-def version.

If you have the ability to watch it, you could consider investing in Madman's R4 release until then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
Honneamise will have to wait till we have an HDTV and a PS3, since I can't really justify buying a Blu-ray (or HD DVD)/DVD combo and not be able to watch the high-def version.

If you have the ability to watch it, you could consider investing in Madman's R4 release until then.

Thanks. My TV (25" Sony WEGA Trinitron) can supposedly do multi-system for video (tuner is NTSC only), so I wouldn't have to set my DVD player to do PAL/NTSC conversion. Haven't had any non-NTSC DVDs ever, so I haven't been able to test multi-system playback.

Worst case scenario: I'll have to use VLC on my laptop (widescreen ratio) to play it.
tsukikage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, it took me two looks through the collection AFTER the tip to find the Kid-kun cosplay stuff. Go me. Anime smile;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4