• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-12-19]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
forget it tried to delete, but couldn't move on to my next post.

Last edited by rebii on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
frodonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
is it just me?

the new answerman really gives me a minty fresh feeling Very Happy maybe its because some of the questions have already been asked before and this time a new perspective on things has been presented, of course long time readers of the column would know what Zac would have said about the anime industry doom and gloom, and brian's answer differs somewhat and also provides a interesting point of view for readers.

and please keep the in jokes coming, its one of the things that make me come back here every week, of course i'm assuming i'm the only one enjoying those kinds of jokes Very Happy

i'm off to get a real life Very Happy
rebii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
The best soundtrack? Any number come to mind such as Nodame Cantabile with its marvelous theme of great classical music, and Escaflowne . But, to be honest I would have to go back to Cowboy Bebop It is has been so often critically praised the choice is almost cliche, However it still stands above the rest.

I will have to give an honorable mention to Nodame Cantabile. Its story line revolves around the world of classical music. Whether you're a fan of the classics, or a newcomer, the great story along with great music make this series a pleasure to both listen to and look at.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
So much for my "in b4 Bebop"...so nice, it was posted twice. Razz I'd rank just about every other Kanno soundtrack I've heard almost as highly, but moving beyond them, I might have to go with either FLCL or Big O; the former is jam-packed full of Pillows awesomeness, while the latter just bleeds noir.

I'm hoping the domestic anime distributors can manage to ride out this economic situation, but you never really know what might happen next week, if not tomorrow. I guess this really should spur me on to find a job so that I can support the industry in a greater capacity.

And I always love horrific con stories...they provide all the more ammunition for me to use on my friends when I tell them I'll never be attending one. Very Happy
Metal Superman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
I’m not too keen on Brian’s writing style. It might take some getting used to, but I feel like giving up on this column already. No offense, Brian, but it seems like you’re trying too hard to impress us with your extensive vocabulary. However, I did enjoy your anecdote from the last column you wrote. Jumping over a herd of manga-loving Otaku's made me crack up a bit.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:00 am Reply with quote
Any other answer to the new question that isn't "Cowboy Bebop" is an incorrect answer. You might as well have excluded Yoko Kanno immediatly from the running, because she's already the composer of all the greatest anime soundtracks. Aside from that, I would say something along the lines of the Space Battleship Yamato or Zeta Gundam soundtracks.

Anyway, you're doing well so far, Brian.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Metal Superman wrote:
I’m not too keen on Brian’s writing style. It might take some getting used to, but I feel like giving up on this column already. No offense, Brian, but it seems like you’re trying too hard to impress us with your extensive vocabulary. However, I did enjoy your anecdote from the last column you wrote. Jumping over a herd of manga-loving Otaku's made me crack up a bit.

Forsooth! I profusely apologize for my effervescent vernacular. Forthwith, I will bowdlerize any and all attempts or exertions towards flattering the intelligentsia with my flowing verbosity.

(i am sorry that i am a big nerd for words)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
motaku96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely dressing up as Hitsugaya at the next con.(joke)
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
I read the entire column and actually enjoyed it Smile. More good work, maybe it was just because I was burned out on Zac, I don't know.

Sounds like all the con experiences are the same story told slightly differently at this point meaning that a lot of people who've never been to a con before fall into the same traps (quite literally sometime Wink ). Maybe there should be a "con survival" book or something if there isn't already.

I would also nominate the Cowboy Bebop OSTs. Every time I listen to them I'm brought back to a state of mind only Bebop seems to invoke.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And that's when she realized something very important.

I'm female. And the 6 1/2 tall Kenpachi behind me... was my boyfriend.

Where's the problem here? Razz

Of course, that depends how...true to the character this Matsumoto looked. Wink
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
Metal Superman wrote:

Forsooth! I profusely apologize for my effervescent vernacular. Forthwith, I will bowdlerize any and all attempts or exertions towards flattering the intelligentsia with my flowing verbosity.

(i am sorry that i am a big nerd for words)

As an English Literature major I really enjoy Brian's wide vocabulary.

Brian, I think you are doing a fantastic job and I look forward to your next column!
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
I too like Brian's take on things. It makes for a very enjoyable column. I also didn't relize we were sending in pet pictures. I would have sent mine in as well.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
That was so refreshing! I love Mr Brian's writing style.

Maybe it's the absence of Mr Zac's innate cynicism, but I find myself enjoying Hey Answerman more than I have in a long, long time. Whatever it is you're doing right, please keep it up! Wink
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... Best anime soundtrack ever...

I can't say I have a one time favorite that's lasted for a long time. Maybe the Higurashi/Umineko series as a whole, ESPECIALLY Umineko's intro...

Other than that... I can't think of anything. Music for a series other than that I've enjoyed as a whole, can't even count Key works. I disliked Farewell Song from Air, hated the background music for Kanon but LOVED the OP and ED and Clannad... As much as the music is important, I dislike Dango Daikazoku (sp?) with a real bit of hate and Torch has meh quality verses but a great chorus.

Gatekeepers 21 had a really great OST... IIRC.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
The fact that we're seeing very little in the way of Blu-Ray Anime isn't too surprising, even if it is pretty sad. At a con Clarine Harp at Funimation mentioned that doing a BD version counted as a separate licensing fee, which seems like a really bad idea on the part of the Japanese companies. I mean, if there is a chance to repackage some shows and make money off them again, then why hinder that? The money would go into new licenses then, so it's not like there would be a huge loss. Then you throw in that one of the biggest complaints, with varying degrees of legitimacy, is that DVDs cost too much, and BD end up costing more. It's a shame, I'd really like to see more Blu-ray, but I think it'll be quite awhile before it happens.

On a somewhat related note, where is that Blu-ray version of Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa? A trailer on an xxxHolic DVD mentioned it, and I haven't seen anything since. That is one thing that I would gladly pay to get on BD even though I already have the DVD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7