• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bleach DVD 13

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
Indeed, with long-running series like this, 4-episode volumes just can't cut it. It's not really an issue of affording them, but seeing so little in doses just doesn't give the full experience IMHO. That's why I'm glad Viz releases boxsets soon after the volumes are out, and Funimation has One Piece (and recently announced D Gray-man) straight to boxsets.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I haven't quite made it this far in Bleach yet, but suffice it to say that I'm impressed. For a while I thought Dragonball Z was about all I could take of long running shonen shows (and I'm a big fan of DBZ), but once you get into Bleach, the storyline just sucks you in. It keeps getting cooler and vastly more interesting the deeper you go. It definitely benefits from the marathon treatment.

I'm one of those who's holding out for the season box set (I have the first two), but even those end on cliffhangers. Ah well, by the time the next set comes out, I'll be finished watching my backlog of other shows that seems to keep getting bigger. Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
...but once you get into Bleach, the storyline just sucks you in. It keeps getting cooler and vastly more interesting the deeper you go.

Yeah, that's gonna stop after the Soul Society arc ends. And I'm not referring to just the filler, but the canon story as well. It's a shame, because then when you re-watch the older stuff, you see more of its flaws.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure it's at least passable on its own merits, no offense to the fans of the longer-running stuff, but for me I stick to the shorter one- or two-season shows because of money for one, and sometimes shows feel like they just drag on and on the longer they get (InuYasha, for example). But yeah, 4 episodes? 5 or 6 should be the norm with such a long-ass series.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I greatly enjoyed the latter stages of the Soul Society arc, but the filler arc that follows it certainly doesn't do the show any favors. (I can't speak for any canon material that follows, since [as] hasn't made it there yet.) It's not flat-out bad, but it moves at a snail's pace and suffers from the "let's magically reduce everyone's abilities" syndrome that so much shounen filler falls into. Regardless, I could see how the pace at which Viz is releasing the series could drive someone to tear their hair out; it was bad enough getting only four or five episodes a month during the [as] broadcast.

(One a slightly related note, one of the things that's really endeared me to One Piece is that it manages to find ways to achieve a grander and grander scale as it progresses, in contrast to so many of its shounen brethren. It's really far more about the journey than the destination in a literal sense, and I think that most fans of it out there would agree that they really don't want it to end any time soon.)
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Defiantely Enjoyed those epsiodes on AS.Especially the filler.But it ain't as funny as ep 101 filler of naruto of course.

Unfortunately to some people,fillers are a pain. At least the battle of the captains was enjoyable,and spoiler[ The captain of Company 10's face turns out to be a fox similar to naruto,Kyubbi was susprising enough(to all of those fangirls of course),however his Kounjo Tengen Myoh was definately something something to be desired.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Umm, besides spoiler[being a fox, how is he similar to Naruto's fox spirit?]
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Umm, besides spoiler[being a fox, how is he similar to Naruto's fox spirit?]

I didn't say that but a lot of those naruto fangirls are another story.Especially my sister who litteraterly screamed after seeing his face but turned a wierd eye after seeing his bankai. It could be that the same VA voiced those two,so it might be similar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1