• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: UART Blade of the Immortal - Manji

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yblees

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
LOL.
I never did figure out what was going on with BotI either - but am now inspired to give the lone volume on my shelf another go. Somehow, I always end up flipping randomly through the pages to ogle fine details in the bloody-massacre-of-evil-dude, and whatsisname-in-artistic-pose panels. At least now I know his name ... Embarassed

$50 for that substandard DOLL is a disgrace!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad. I've been looking for a good BotI figure for ages but there doesn't seem to be anything. The Rin one looks slightly better though and the two of them look alright together. It's a shame they're so expensive.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Blade of the Immortal was the first manga series I got really hooked on. I remember I had to read the first volumes quite a few times to get everything that was going on. As much as I love the series, I think it's about time to wrap it up though...I am really bummed that the figure is so crappy. I'm not that into collectibles, but my book room is filled with framed Blade of the Immortal posters. 'Twas my first love...If these statues were better, I would have liked to purchase them. It's kind of weird because as I understand it Samura is really picky about merchandising. Maybe the poor economy got to him too?

Quote:
Of course, I was far less happy when I realized I'd BOUGHT A NAZI! AAAAAA!

Love this section! Anime hyper
PTRMAN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
When did Rob leave Anime Insider? I just picked up the Jan '09 issue (#64) and he's there.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
Rob left last year. He's no longer a paid staffer, he just does some freelance stuff for them, including the letters ection.

I'm kinda bummed about this. Blade of the Immortal ws the first manga I ever read and its what introduced me to it. As such it has a special place in my heart. To this day the only series I like better it Berserk. I haven't even been able to watch the anime series yet because its not licensed. Hopefully some real Blade swag will come out soon.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Actually, he has to kill a thousand men, since he'd already killed a hundred... although that idea has long since fallen by the wayside, I tend to forget about it. I just got volume 20 of the manga, and am extremely loath to watch either the anime or buy any models for precisely some of the reasons you mentioned: total loss of the exquisite artistic detail of Samura's work.

Also, the series makes total sense if you read it in the right order, so I don't know what's up with that...
Raja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
OT

Mr. Bricken: Do you take requests?

/OT

Blade of the Immortal was the one where the artist only allowed an English left-to-right version on the condition that Studio Proteus could not flip the artwork, right? They had to cut up the pages and re-arrange the panels in left-to-right order, if I recall correctly.

I recall seeing the promo artwork in Afternoon before the series came out, and thinking that it just didn't look right. I wonder if they ever did statues based on the manga...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Raja wrote:
Blade of the Immortal was the one where the artist only allowed an English left-to-right version on the condition that Studio Proteus could not flip the artwork, right? They had to cut up the pages and re-arrange the panels in left-to-right order, if I recall correctly.

Yup. They started releasing it back before Toriyama did all companies releasing manga a giant favor and insisted they leave his stuff as is, allowing them to release things cheaper by not flopping them. Now, reading their stuff, Dark Horse always did the best flops on its old work, but it's nice that they were able to keep the vast majority of Samura's art in the original form without the mirror-image effect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1