• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation Adds Slayers Revolution, Evolution-R Fantasy Sequels

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
Hm, seems everyone forgot that this was probably inevitable to license as well. Makes sense. The other two will be Eva and Soul Eater, shows over, go home. We knew FUNi would get these eventually, what with the C&D's flying everywhere.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
Wow FUNi kicked into overdrive with picking up anime this year.
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
The question is, though, are they gonna bring back the original voice cast, knowing they live all the way in New York?
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
It's worth noting that because FUNi describes the show as being "26 episodes" and that they won't be releasing the "complete series" until 2010, it's clear they have also licensed Slayers Evolution-R as well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
It's worth noting that because FUNi describes the show as being "26 episodes" and that they won't be releasing the "complete series" until 2010, it's clear they have also licensed Slayers Evolution-R as well.

Haha oh wow. Enjoy your wait if you like being legit then. I'll bet they'll release it in singles too.
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:18 am Reply with quote
I was actually really happy when Nabari no Ou came out, but this honestly thrills me! The Slayers series, and all related things, are my current favorite anime. Revolution was a little worrying, because seemed to carry a risk of not keeping up with the older series. It turned out quite well. It's basically classic Slayers, not the best in technically quality, or even originality, but still a whole lot of fun. The one concern surrounding this is whether or not they can get the same voice actors, though I would be satisfied if they can just keep Crispin Freeman as Zelgadis.

Something else... Lina and Gourry weren't in Luvinagard when they met with Amelia and Zel, were they? If I remember correctly, they had to travel before they got to Luvinagard. On the site, it says they were there, but I could swear that's an error.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Hm, seems everyone forgot that this was probably inevitable to license as well. Makes sense. The other two will be Eva and Soul Eater, shows over, go home. We knew FUNi would get these eventually, what with the C&D's flying everywhere.

You're right, the upcoming announcements are pretty obvious at this point.

But what I will tell you, is that I know for a fact that Funimation is sending out C&Ds for titles they don't currently have.

In the past they've sent out C&D's for Sakura Taisen: Le Nouveau Paris and Atashi'n chi, neither of which they've released.

It could mean that they're currently negotiating for the series and that the licensor has authorized them to send out the C&Ds.

Or it could be that they licensor has requested they send out C&Ds.

Or, as you know, it could mean that they've licensed the series.

Since option 1 probably leads to them licensing the series, I'd say that if you wanted to place bets, Funimation sends out a C&D there's a good chance that they will release that show. But it's not guaranteed.

-t
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
They didn't even list all the other series that take place in the Slayer's universe.... TONS of different series out there...
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The other two will be Eva and Soul Eater, shows over, go home. We knew FUNi would get these eventually, what with the C&D's flying everywhere.

Can I be greedy and demand where my Seto no Hanayome is? It got C&D'd back when it was airing and the sub quality bottomed out pretty badly as a result.

Can't win them all I guess.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
2010? Really? that sucks :S

If I'm gonna pay for my anime, I want it in a physical media! but I don't want to wait another year just because I chose to play by the rules. =_=
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
Alex_Strife wrote:
The question is, though, are they gonna bring back the original voice cast, knowing they live all the way in New York?

If they can do it with Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy, they can do it with Slayers Revolution. (Considering that Crispin Freeman mostly works in California, I suppose he could always record online--I can't imagine anyone other than him as Zelgadis! Nor can I imagine anyone other than Lisa Oritz as Lina.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
We all have to consider the fact that they might not want to say if they picked up soul eater or Evangelion 1.0. After all the biggest buzz would come from some huge anime convention such as anime expo 09. How ever any announcement of Evangelion 1.0 hitting the American markets would be huge. So its hard to say.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Wow FUNi kicked into overdrive with picking up anime this year.

Where's the money coming from? These licenses ain't cheap and considering sales are down, there's no way they could possibly be licensing more than last year without some sort of external funding.

If Eva 1.0 and/or Soul Eater really does get picked up, I want to really know how is Funimation stabilizing itself. Eva 1.0's license is mad expensive last I heard. In fact it's probably one of the most expensive licenses around right now and considering what Funimation has licensed this past week (excluding the rescue titles), this is going to cost Funimation a lot.

I can see Eva 1.0 generating a lot of revenue, but keep in mind that 2.0 doesn't come out until summer 2009 in Japan with 3.0 and 4.0 yet to follow. Will people here really wait? Some will, but many probably won't especially not in this economy with 2009 not starting in a very good position and job losses continuously growing. In other words, no one is going to have the money to pay for this stuff as it's not a necessity.

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
amazingwind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
i lost care for slayers long time ago

AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Alex_Strife wrote:

If they can do it with Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy, they can do it with Slayers Revolution. (

ADV did Ah My Goddess not Funimation
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:12 am Reply with quote
Well this is certainly good news. I just gotta pick up the first three seasons now. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7