• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Plans for Gundam Anime's 30th Anniversary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
the Char i admired in the original 0079 & Zeta was ruined and made into a joke in CCA.
[/quote]

I hear/read this charge a lot, that Char in CCA is out of character. He isn't. Go back and watch Zeta and notice a lot of forshadowing of his same lines in CCA. The only thing that happened was that Char became impatient, which Amuro points out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
For all those saying "pretty boy" character designs is the reason they can't stand the newer Gundam shows, I'll say this goes in reverse for me. I won't watch a lot of the older series because I think they are terribly unattractive. This doesn't just apply to Gundam, but .. yes I'm that shallow. I ultimately watch because I like a variety of things and the art style is one that is a big focus for me.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I could care less about the 30th Anniversary right now, I'm more concerned about how we will never get the older Gundam series over here in America....EVER.

C'mon Bandai! I've been faithful all these years! Gimme X or Victory! Even Turn A would be fine! I know! The magic 8 ball will show me the way!

*shakes his magic 8 ball*

Outlook not so good Crying or Very sad
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:

How do you
ZZ was the least one i liked of the UC Gundam shows, as for CCA i don't rate it that high and perhaps it's masterpiece to you and others as well but it's surly not for me (& perhaps others as well) especially that the Char i admired in the original 0079 & Zeta was ruined and made into a joke in CCA.

How was he a joke in any sense? I loved Char in that. He basically fulfilled the logical extreme of his position as a man with extradonary talent and charisma being tortured not only by his past but by his future while dealing with the attendent disconnect that happens when a genius leads a movement and it "gets away" from him. I believe that's even brought up in a fight scene with Amuro. He's an adult leader with a ton of commitments and very real personal shortcomings.

Like if Bill Clinton went shopping at Anaheim Electronics.
Cotek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
there's a rumor floating around that Gintama's getting canceled, cause of this anniversary overhaul. this bothers me a lot.

It might end eventually bit I seriously doubt it'd be canceled. In regards to overall DVD sales, it's one of the best selling series at the moment. It's ratings aren't bad either.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this means that a new Universal Century series will be produced? That would be awesome, because Sunrise needs to stop churning out all these bad rehashes of the Universal Century story.

There's a lot of ZZ Gundam bashers out there, and it's not a bad show people. ZZ Gundam started off slow, but in its second half it really took off.

I don't care what anybody says. It's one of my favorite gundam series, even without Char, and it's only second to Zeta in my book. The characters, the humor (yes I liked the humor unlike some people), and the animation were all very good. You're not gonna see animation like Zeta or ZZ anymore, which gives both series a very vintage feel.

Plus, Haman Karn was a very memorable villain, arguably the coolest female villain in anime history.

I'd say ZZ is even better than 00 or Seed, which are very overrated imo. Ribbons is not even half as cool as Haman sorry.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
Honestly, I could care less about the 30th Anniversary right now, I'm more concerned about how we will never get the older Gundam series over here in America....EVER.

C'mon Bandai! I've been faithful all these years! Gimme X or Victory! Even Turn A would be fine! I know! The magic 8 ball will show me the way!

*shakes his magic 8 ball*

Outlook not so good Crying or Very sad

Bandai Ent has said the reason they haven't released those series are because Sunrise doesn't want them to yet. Why? Dunno. Apparently it's also Japan who decides which studio dubs the Gundam series too.

I'd kill for Ecole Du Ciel OVA series or something.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Bandai Ent has said the reason they haven't released those series are because Sunrise doesn't want them to yet. Why? Dunno.

Tomino HATES Victory, and it didn't sell all that well. If they ever do bring this series over, I'd love it if they leave the extras in of Tomino ranting about "WHY DID YOU BUY THIS?!" X and Turn A sold rather poorly when compared to the series that both preceded and followed them. Go figure that the latter is considered very highly among the fanbase.

Primus wrote:
I'd kill for Ecole Du Ciel OVA series or something.

This, even though it has no chance of getting animated... female main character and all. Personally, I'd like to see some of the Astray stuff animated because not all of the CE timeline was as fail as Destiny.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll just see what they offer. Personally, I'm not really a fan of UC stuff. It was revolutionary stuff when it came out, but watching it AFTER I'd seen some of the newer stuff made me less than enthusiastic. But to each their own. I'm just looking forward to whatever Sunrise does this year.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:40 pm Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
not all of the CE timeline was as fail as Destiny.

Nothing in Gundam history is as big a disaster as SEED Destiny, but that doesn't mean the original SEED or Stargazer were all that good, either.

Just a bunch of hallow, soulless garbage for the ADD generation.

I doubt we'll see any of the old Gundam programs over here in the R1 market anytime soon, and when we do, we should tread carefully, given Bandai Entertainment's poor treatment of Zeta Gundam. Anyway, they probably feel the old titles aren't very marketable, and for the most part, they're right. The anime market generally favors brand new titles. It doesn't help that CN never gave the original series a full run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
there's a rumor floating around that Gintama's getting canceled, cause of this anniversary overhaul. this bothers me a lot.

Unless comfirmed, I wouldn't put much thought in that show being cancelled. Rumors aren't always true and are sometimes intended to cause chaos.

Thirty years of Gundam, that is quite a number. I have a friend who is a big Gundam fan, so I am sure he would like to know this news.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't think I'm ADD here, I just don't like the art style. And I'm not that young, not sure how old you are but I'm 27. I just got into anime at a later point, and anything older than DBZ is pretty much unattractive to me because the older art was much different than more modern anime (similarly, much of the older music is also pretty unappealing).

The art style is one (but not the only) reason I prefer anime to American cartoons. I think if they remade some of the older shows I'd be more inclined to watch them but sadly I'm picky enough I'm not willing to watch something I find ugly for a story. I'd probably read a novel or something for it though.

I have this issue with Macross as well. I'd actually be somewhat interested (having read some of the Wikipedia page after watching Macross Frontier) in getting through the older story, but the older Macross doesn't look great to me.

I don't think it's that new fans wouldn't be up for the same kinds of stories as older fans. That being said, I certainly don't dislike any of the mentioned new series. I think they are all "ok." GW/GS/GSD isn't my favorite thing or even close but it's something I do find entertaining.
GW-9800

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I have this issue with Macross as well. I'd actually be somewhat interested (having read some of the Wikipedia page after watching Macross Frontier) in getting through the older story, but the older Macross doesn't look great to me.

Go watch "Macross: Do You Remember Love?". Puts A LOT of today's stuff to shame animation wise.

Back on topic: What I'd want for a Gundam show? F-91/Crossbone or GX prequel. Don't really care for anything else, really. OYW has been done to death. I liked the Gryps conflict and last thing that time period needs is to get done to death like OYW. ZZ...no comments, really. CCA...great movie until the "Lalah could've been a mother for me" line.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
GW-9800 wrote:
CCA...great movie until the "Lalah could've been a mother for me" line.

What was wrong with that line?

He clearly expected Lalah to nurture his skills as a pilot and a Newtype.

The line made perfect sense in context. It helps to pay attention.
Guilhem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
[...]

chibisama wrote:
I'd love to see the three novels Awakening, Escalation, Confrontation animated especially since Yoshiuiki Tomino himself wrote the novels.

Ugh, those novels were awful. Tomino is a great director, but not such a good writer.
[...]

Poorly written but more interesting than the original TV series nonetheless: more mature characters, Amuro trained to pilot MS instead of learning in reading the manual, a very ambiguous relationship between Sayla and Char, an early introduction of Lala, an unexpected fate for Amuro, a clear development of his relationship with Sayla, some rather interesting thoughts about the links between democracy and autocracy (although not very developped but it's still better than nothing), a more detailed background concerning historical facts and various technical thingies, a far better depiction of Gihren Zabi and his tortured soul, and much more... I'd kill to get a truely faithfull adaptation of the original vision of Tomino instead of just another show which will bring nothing really new (though it'll probably be interesting as usual...), especially with current animation technologies

And while I'm at it, they can also remove the giant robots to come back to the very original roots of the concept with Starship Trooper like power armors instead of the cool but unrealistic MS: I do love them, yes, but I'd like to see something different for once, something which will allow to really focus onto the characters and their complex personnalities and relationships instead of always relying onto action scenes which more and more look alike in every new iteration of the franchise

Gundam is more than giant robot fights. It has always been: coming back to the roots is not a bad thing for an anniversary, especially a 30th one...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4